ImageImageImage

Year-end awards (2022)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Re: Year-end awards (2022) 

Post#81 » by steefP2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:16 am

This might be controversial and first off I LOVE Rob but he’s not that close to being dpoy worthy. He’s probably the 4th best defender on this team ? Horford has been flat out better. Not like a huge difference but rob might have had the bigger impact but he’s had the much simpler role. Playing Horford and grant on the ball in switches allows Rob to be this incredible weak side helper. He’s good but not great as a switch guy or post defender.

Again I love rob and I believe he’ll get to that elite category but horford’s impact has gone overlooked here
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#82 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:29 am

steefP2 wrote:This might be controversial and first off I LOVE Rob but he’s not that close to being dpoy worthy. He’s probably the 4th best defender on this team ? Horford has been flat out better. Not like a huge difference but rob might have had the bigger impact but he’s had the much simpler role. Playing Horford and grant on the ball in switches allows Rob to be this incredible weak side helper. He’s good but not great as a switch guy or post defender.

Again I love rob and I believe he’ll get to that elite category but horford’s impact has gone overlooked here

Thats a somewhat warm take, but I get your point. My hot take on DPOY is that Russell Westbrook isn't getting anywhere near enough consideration. Pretty amazing shutdown of the Lakers offence he was able to drive.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Post#83 » by bisme37 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Smart with a substantial lead for DPOY right now. Tatum looking strong for 1st team all nba. I was ready to be grumpy when they got overlooked but at this point it looks like I was being pessimistic.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview#
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,441

Post#84 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:17 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Rob is the DPOY in my eyes and Smart doesn't win it if Rob is healthy, as they'd probably split votes. But of everyone else remaining, Smart deserves it.

Bam is just..solid...Rudy, voter burnout. Giannis, really you can give to him whenever, but it's like the MVP award. He's won his, he's an offensive force and unless he has another dominating defensive season, he doesn't win another DPOY, ever. So Smart is the guy.

Bridges and Bam, just to reiterate, im shocked they're even in this convo. I really just don't see it.

In any event, 5 years from now we will have 2 DPOY on the team, an MVP, and probably a fringe 3rd team player.

If we don't get a super team somewhere, this could be looking at a 3-5 year window of perinneal contention. This team with a few tweaks could probably win two rings in the next 5-7 years imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Watching you cope over Smart's impending DPOY win is **** incredible and my favorite thing about this board in the last couple of years. So good.
So much cope, you're totally right.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#85 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:08 pm

bisme37 wrote:Smart with a substantial lead for DPOY right now. Tatum looking strong for 1st team all nba. I was ready to be grumpy when they got overlooked but at this point it looks like I was being pessimistic.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/htmlview#

They don't seem to be tracking all-defensive team voting, which is fair, as I don't recall people announcing their picks for that. (Is it a different set of voters than for the other awards?)

That said, there are 6 guys getting votes for DPOY:

-- Gobert (pure center)
-- Adebayo (center who can be called PF)
-- Giannis, JJJ (PFs who play some center)
-- Bridges (SF who can be called a guard)
-- Smart (guard)

So there's probably room for another big, such as Allen, Mobley, Horford or Timelord. I'd bet on Timelord.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#86 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Smart close to a lock for DPOY at this point, and Tatum pretty close to a lock to make 1st team. There’s still a lot of votes that aren’t known, but the trend is clear.

Awesome for those two.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,441

Post#87 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:39 pm

The Comedian wrote:Smart close to a lock for DPOY at this point, and Tatum pretty close to a lock to make 1st team. There’s still a lot of votes that aren’t known, but the trend is clear.

Awesome for those two.
So what happened to the Giannis/Jokic/Embiid all being eligible for forward thing?

It seems as if voters don't want to break the traditional positional voting, cool. Both players deserve it.

I feel as though JT needed this though. These kind of awards are meaningful to Tatum, I think.

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#88 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Smart close to a lock for DPOY at this point, and Tatum pretty close to a lock to make 1st team. There’s still a lot of votes that aren’t known, but the trend is clear.

Awesome for those two.
So what happened to the Giannis/Jokic/Embiid all being eligible for forward thing?

It seems as if voters don't want to break the traditional positional voting, cool. Both players deserve it.

I feel as though JT needed this though. These kind of awards are meaningful to Tatum, I think.

They were all eligible at forward last year too, I don’t know why people acted like it was a new thing. Voters (for the most part) will vote traditionally with the positions.

It’s meaningful for everyone TBH, but Tatum was bred for this, so getting that achievement probably matters more to him. He also levels up every time he gets some type it of accolades, so should be fun.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#89 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:07 pm

Awesome for those two.

Tatum not looking like top 5 MVP, however. The whole rest of the first team is running ahead of him, plus a second center.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Post#90 » by bisme37 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:03 pm

Crazy how much things have changed since the All Star Game.

Jaylen was not an allstar largely because our record sucked and we didn't deserve two.

Fast forward to now and we're the #2 seed, while the Cavs are perhaps the only lottery team in history with two all stars. (not sure but I can't think of that happening before.)
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,477

Post#91 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:40 pm

bisme37 wrote:Crazy how much things have changed since the All Star Game.

Jaylen was not an allstar largely because our record sucked and we didn't deserve two.

Fast forward to now and we're the #2 seed, while the Cavs are perhaps the only lottery team in history with two all stars. (not sure but I can't think of that happening before.)

Given our response after all-star, may we have many more all-star snubs in future.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#92 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#93 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:52 pm

I'm a bit surprised that Udoka wasn't higher up, on the Coach of the Year chart.
And also, that Brad Stevens wasn't there for Executive of the Year.

But, a Championship trumps all of that.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics