ImageImageImage

Challenge, should you choose to take it

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Challenge, should you choose to take it 

Post#1 » by snowman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:05 am

This is a list of teams that look like they will, or should lose in the first round, or play-in matchups, and looked bad doing so.
Atlanta
BROOKLYN (yea baby)
Chicago
Toronto
New Orleans
Denver
Cleveland
Charlotte
San Antonio
LA Clippers

These are the teams I think may feel the need to make some moves with their roster this summer. Are there any players on these teams that fit the Celtics mold of players that Brad and Ime look for? Players that are 6'5 or bigger, good switchable defenders that can shoot.

The challenge is, if there is anyone that the Celtics could REALISTICALLY get with a pick, a TPE, or a trade of any combo of a picks, TPE and a bottom 11-15 player (ONLY) if needed.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,013

Re: Challenge, should you choose to take it 

Post#2 » by 1st banana » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:33 am

Atlanta- hunter (doubt it, they want him) delon Wright I’ve wanted for years and bogdan
Brooklyn-I’d take dragic lol or Seth and obviously Bruce brown
Chicago- low key javonte maybe and Caruso
Toronto- some guys in there I want but none are realistic OG precious
New Orleans- not sure any I want the pels would let with most are young guys developing Herb and Murphy maybe I’d take a flyer on jaxson Hayes
Denver- I know he’s small and wouldn’t fit but I love monte Morris I’d like to take back uncle Jeff I might be in the minority here but he’s solid
Cleveland- again the guys I’d want probably wouldn’t be available okoro etc although stevens is nice good defender decent size average shooter at best tho would need to be better kind of Romeo-ish.
Charlotte- yuck outside of lamelo bridges terry not much. Actually pj Washington I’d be in on and the Martin twin possibly.
San Antonio- love keldon but he’s not going anywhere give me josh richardson back tho lol even dougie mcbuckets I’d bring in he’d fit in the tall white shooter bench we have
Clippers- Brandon Boston is nice as we all saw maybe roco although the could be cooked had his moments this year tho Nicolas batum I’d even take he’s been good actually good passer decent defender can shoot

Most of these would be 8-12 guys on the bench outside of a couple
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 am

How much salary can we S&T into a TPE without hitting the hard cap that would be triggered?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Cricket23
Senior
And1: 522

Post#4 » by Cricket23 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:09 am

I had been very interested in PJ Washington until Grant Williams became a reliable player. Now I don't see any point there.

I love Seth Curry but I don't know what that trade looks like. He fits the TPE but I doubt the Nets are looking for a pick. Maybe if there was another team involved.

Wouldn't mind Cedi Osman coming off our bench if the price was right.

The guy I really want is Kevin Huerter. He is adequate enough defensively and would be a terrific backup at the 2 or 3 and fits very neatly into the TPE. Atlanta wants a defensive player so let's get a 3 team deal done.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,013

Post#5 » by 1st banana » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:10 am

Forgot about Larry nance jr I like him too he’s kind of a poor mans al horford.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,526

Post#6 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:04 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:How much salary can we S&T into a TPE without hitting the hard cap that would be triggered?

Almost none as far as I can tell. The move is to send out salary (white, theis, nesmith etc) in trade for a bigger salary, while moving those guys to third teams who send players into the TPE. Allows for a better return of player as well. Main issue there is the total salary gets real high real quick.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:21 am

These aren’t the best players but I like the potential fit/cost of Alex Caruso or Josh Green out of Dallas. Also think they should try to land Tshiebwe in the second round but prob have to move up. Seems like a Brandon Bass kind of versatile front court defender who could hang a little bit on the perimeter.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#8 » by Jammer » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:08 am

Any chance Robin Lopez would sign for minimum here versus staying in Orlando for a bigger payday? He could be an improvement over Luke Kornet? I doubt that the Celtics would want to offer him part of the MLE because of the luxury tax implications.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#9 » by snowman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:54 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:How much salary can we S&T into a TPE without hitting the hard cap that would be triggered?

I think any sign and trade would hard cap us, so I don't see that happening at all. That's why I was suggesting using picks and TPE's, or our 11 -15 players for small deals.

The guys I would be interested in, that could realistically be available are all former Celtics. LOL. Uncle Jeff Green, Javonte Green, Josh Richardson.

I think our top 9-10 (depending on Nesmith's summer improvement) are set. I'm mainly trying to see if we can upgrade our 11-15 players. I see our rotation set with:

PG - Smart, White and PP set, ready to roll
SG - Brown, Nesmith and probably Stauskas (all 6'6 and shooters)
SF - Tatum, ( ), Hauser
PF - Horford, G. Will, ( ) good just need some more depth
C - Rob, Theis, ( ) good just need some more depth

I feel we need, 1st another scoring wing, 6'8 + off the bench behind Tatum, and 2nd and 3rd, a third team PF and C veteran or someone to develop. I think Kornet, Fitts and Morgan should be upgraded, to give us some better backup to Rob and Horford behind G. Will and Theis. I would even rather see someone like Justin Jackson backing up Tatum, or someone traded for in the spot, Harry Giles and Daniel Oturu backing up G. Will and Theis, on the team taking the 13-15 spots than Fitts, Morgan and Kornet.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:55 am

Jammer wrote:Any chance Robin Lopez would sign for minimum here versus staying in Orlando for a bigger payday? He could be an improvement over Luke Kornet? I doubt that the Celtics would want to offer him part of the MLE because of the luxury tax implications.

If they duck the tax next year while there is an actual title shot, the front office should just mail it in.

That said, if they do bring in any older, cheap vets (I kind of like how they aren’t doing that lately), I’d be curious to give Joe Ingles the nod. Good team guy and team defender and can shoot from the front court. Let him rehab and come back as a third string guy.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#11 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am

snowman wrote:

I think any sign and trade would hard cap us, so I don't see that happening at all. That's why I was suggesting using picks and TPE's, or our 11 -15 players for small deals.

The guys I would be interested in, that could realistically be available are mostly former Celtics. LOL. Uncle Jeff Green, Javonte Green, Josh Richardson.

I think our top 9-10 (depending on Nesmith's summer improvement) are set. I'm mainly trying to see if we can upgrade our 11-15 players. I see our rotation set with:

PG - Smart, White and PP
SG - Brown, Nesmith and probably Stauskas (all6'6and shooters)
SF - Tatum, ( ), Hauser
PF - Horford, G. Will, ( )
C - Rob, Theis, ( )

I feel we need, 1st another scoring wing, 6'8 + off the bench behind Tatum, and 2nd and 3rd, a third team PF and C veteran or someone to develop. I think Kornet, Fitts and Morgan should be upgraded, to give us some better backup to Rob and Horford behind G. Will and Theis. I would rather see someone like Justin Jackson, Harry Giles and Daniel Oturu on the team taking the 13-15 spots than Fitts, Morgan and Kornet.

Ahhh. I was thinking of guys who'd actually be worthy of being rotation players. Since teams don't want to part with those in most cases, it's easier to imagine a FA selecting us to be S&Ted too. But if that requires sending salary out, then again it becomes harder to imagine someone being an upgrade to what we already have.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#12 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:39 pm

In theory, Marcus Morris would be nice to have back and he fits into the TPE. Gives another big, switchable forward to fit the defensive identity. 40% shooter from 3 over the last 5 years to help address that need.

I know when he was here last he could be a little frustrating with taking too many shots. To be honest though, I think our second unit could use a little bit more shot creation. And he was outspoken at times too, but I thought most of what he said was legit criticism kind of in the way Smart will maybe say more than you like sometimes. I don't think he's a bad team guy and with a group playing the right way like we are now, I think we get the year 1 version of him from his first tour here where he was a super productive and positive player for that ECF run, as opposed to year 2 where he was a bit of a misfit sometimes.

Also, I'm expecting a lot more load management for Horford next year. This year it was a new system and a lot of new rotations. It was important for guys to get consistent playing time together in the second half. Next year I think we're starting off with better chemistry barring any sort of (unlikely) major shakeup so I think Ime will take that as an opportunity to load manage guys, particularly Horford. And Morris helps chip in with minutes there.

Smart / Pritchard
Brown / White
Tatum / Morris
Horford / GWilliams
RWilliams / Theis

The starting unit has been tremendous all year of course. And then on the bench you've got 3 guys in Pritchard/Morris/GWilliams who you can reasonably hope will shoot 40% from 3 next year off the bench which gives you good options to fill in around the stars. I think White will be good in year 2 with us as well and more of the player he was in SA.
Cricket23
Senior

Post#13 » by Cricket23 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:42 pm

I'm game for Morris if Tatum, Brown, and Smart are.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#14 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:56 pm

I want to see how the rest of the playoffs go because if there's a concern I have on this team, it's whether they have enough shot creation still. Particularly when Tatum is on the bench or having an off night. Brown has put together some big 4th quarters, but it still feels like we are LABORING through possessions that run through him. I don't think we need to go get a new #2 option (i.e. Beal) unless you can do it without sacrificing the defensive identity, but I do think we could use some more offensively potent players off the bench so our non-Tatum units flank Brown with better help.

Here's one I'm pretty confident that ATL would be on board for if we were... Derrick White for Kevin Huerter. I say Hawks would be on board because they desperately need perimeter defense. White brings that to a huge degree obviously. He'd be a great fit next to Trae.

On our end, White was a guy they specifically targeted so I'm pretty sure this is a moot point. But I do think it's a worthwhile consideration. Huerter isn't the defensive asset like White, but I wouldn't call him a liability either. He's switchable at 6'7". Has some PG type skills to help share those duties when Smart isn't out there. He's a knockdown shooter to space the floor which is where his big contributions would be.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:11 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I want to see how the rest of the playoffs go because if there's a concern I have on this team, it's whether they have enough shot creation still. Particularly when Tatum is on the bench or having an off night. Brown has put together some big 4th quarters, but it still feels like we are LABORING through possessions that run through him. I don't think we need to go get a new #2 option (i.e. Beal) unless you can do it without sacrificing the defensive identity, but I do think we could use some more offensively potent players off the bench so our non-Tatum units flank Brown with better help.

Here's one I'm pretty confident that ATL would be on board for if we were... Derrick White for Kevin Huerter. I say Hawks would be on board because they desperately need perimeter defense. White brings that to a huge degree obviously. He'd be a great fit next to Trae.

On our end, White was a guy they specifically targeted so I'm pretty sure this is a moot point. But I do think it's a worthwhile consideration. Huerter isn't the defensive asset like White, but I wouldn't call him a liability either. He's switchable at 6'7". Has some PG type skills to help share those duties when Smart isn't out there. He's a knockdown shooter to space the floor which is where his big contributions would be.

Agree the offense is an underrated need. In other words, it's good, but they have two great scorers and a lot of low-volume, high-efficiency (or medium-efficiency lol) guys on offense. The biggest need is another guy that fits their mold but isn't a low volume scorer. Smart shouldn't have to be the third highest scoring guy.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#16 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:22 pm

1st banana wrote:Atlanta- hunter (doubt it, they want him) delon Wright I’ve wanted for years and bogdan
Brooklyn-I’d take dragic lol or Seth and obviously Bruce brown
Chicago- low key javonte maybe and Caruso
Toronto- some guys in there I want but none are realistic OG precious
New Orleans- not sure any I want the pels would let with most are young guys developing Herb and Murphy maybe I’d take a flyer on jaxson Hayes
Denver- I know he’s small and wouldn’t fit but I love monte Morris I’d like to take back uncle Jeff I might be in the minority here but he’s solid
Cleveland- again the guys I’d want probably wouldn’t be available okoro etc although stevens is nice good defender decent size average shooter at best tho would need to be better kind of Romeo-ish.
Charlotte- yuck outside of lamelo bridges terry not much. Actually pj Washington I’d be in on and the Martin twin possibly.
San Antonio- love keldon but he’s not going anywhere give me josh richardson back tho lol even dougie mcbuckets I’d bring in he’d fit in the tall white shooter bench we have
Clippers- Brandon Boston is nice as we all saw maybe roco although the could be cooked had his moments this year tho Nicolas batum I’d even take he’s been good actually good passer decent defender can shoot

Most of these would be 8-12 guys on the bench outside of a couple

I bolded all the names I'd be happy with. Someone clarify the deal on JRich. Could we even take him back this offseason or would it have to be the following one? Uncle Jeff I think would be a solid addition. If Denver gets MPJ back, maybe he could be had. I'd also add Taurean Prince to this list as well. Basically I'm looking for swings or at least big wings.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,994

Post#17 » by 31to6 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:23 pm

165bows wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:I want to see how the rest of the playoffs go because if there's a concern I have on this team, it's whether they have enough shot creation still. Particularly when Tatum is on the bench or having an off night. Brown has put together some big 4th quarters, but it still feels like we are LABORING through possessions that run through him. I don't think we need to go get a new #2 option (i.e. Beal) unless you can do it without sacrificing the defensive identity, but I do think we could use some more offensively potent players off the bench so our non-Tatum units flank Brown with better help.

Agree the offense is an underrated need. In other words, it's good, but they have two great scorers and a lot of low-volume, high-efficiency (or medium-efficiency lol) guys on offense. The biggest need is another guy that fits their mold but isn't a low volume scorer. Smart shouldn't have to be the third highest scoring guy.

1. At the deadline we were all over the map about Smart for John Collins. I predict that, since then, Smart has slid into 'untouchable' territory for a lot of the board. Since he'll soon be the starting PG of the defending champions, it's probably a moot point anyway -- especially since an alternate reality where Derrick White came in and started making Smart look expendable has NOT happened.

2. Welcome back, bows! Great to see you here again. Hope all's been good with you and yours.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#18 » by jmr07019 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:23 pm

I don't why Brooklyn benched Blake Griffin but I think he would be an upgrade over Theis and could play either the 4 or 5 for us. Can knock down a 3, grab a board and finish inside.
Show Love Spread Love
Cricket23
Senior

Post#19 » by Cricket23 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:44 pm

jmr07019 wrote:I don't why Brooklyn benched Blake Griffin but I think he would be an upgrade over Theis and could play either the 4 or 5 for us. Can knock down a 3, grab a board and finish inside.

He's probably going to retire, can't play anymore. He looks like the kind of guy who has a hard time getting dressed by himself.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#20 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:45 pm

I think it might be easier to see if any of them are free agents.

But yeah any 6'5" or bigger player so he's not head hunted would be good. If he is someone that can score in ISO or playmake (or both) even better because that would put a counter when Brown and Tatum are played the way they are to get someone who can do some of the things they can in terms of drive and kicks.

Probably the #1 thing we miss is your traditional 6th man type that we can put out there if we're having trouble scoring or Brown/Tatum are too covered to break the opposing team back with talent.

Conversely we need a big man specifically for the 76er and MIL matchups. An Aaron Baynes replacement, that way we have someone who can take those hits beyond a 36 year old Horford, a 6'4" earthbound Grant, or a non athletic Theis. This will allow us to always keep the TimeLord in help defense where he is a game changer.

The most likely guys we can add are vets that see a role for themselves and want to ring chase.

From the teams listed:

- If he buys in again as a backup Drummond would help off the bench. (I assume they resign Claxton instead and won't pay both)

- Ricky Rubio would be a sneaky amazing add but with the ACL you have to be concerned if he still has it. He's also not 6'5" but I don't think anyone wouldn't argue he's a fantastic defender and can't be head hunted. CLE might backup the truck for him though as their offense nosedived without his playmaking next to Garland

Return to Boston Celtics