ImageImageImage

Celts Burned! ECF Game 1 Loss 5/17 (MIA 1-0)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Re: Celts Burned! ECF Game 1 Loss 5/17 (MIA 1-0) 

Post#181 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Lebron is one of the greats but maybe stopped with this in his mid-30s lol. But I agree. Hope Tatum grows out of it soon. Just play on, dude. Sets a bad example for your teammates. His BFF Grant is prone to it too.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#182 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed May 18, 2022 7:30 pm

165bows wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Worst for me was when Ime called a TO and the next two possessions were lousy TOs leading to transition points for Miami.

I forget when exactly that was, but it was just brutal.

That Twitter clip is 100% where I was worried about the game. Up until that point, I figured the Celtics could make a comeback, but after those back-to-back turnovers happen, I knew this team was in trouble.

Can't remember who I had that conversation with, but the Js still need a quality point guard with them. They aren't LeBron who just needs a guy who can stand around and shoot threes and guard point guards. Great players but this team needs a really good PG to get people in their spots. Hopefully Smart's back soon.

Again, for the hundredth time, we HAVE that guy in Pritchard. But it won’t matter whether it’s him, Smart, White, Schroder or someone else we bring in because we run our sets through Tatum mostly and some through Brown. Our system is not conducive to having a high usage PG since we have Tatum and Brown. So this stupid narrative that we need a PG needs to die. You can all keep posting it but it will keep being dumb. There isn’t anyone we can draft (since we traded our 1st for White FML) or get via FA or trade that is better than Pritchard.

This board has a thing against Pritchard. For some reason, when he gives up 2-3 highly contested shots it weighs more than the dozen that the Jays gave up. Seriously, watch that 3rd quarter again. Were the Jays being “hunted” like you claim teams can do against Pritchard? I mean, they have up contested shots so must be. When Butler scored over both Jays multiple times did those matter less than the one time he scored over Pritchard? Maybe we should start a narrative that we need 3 and D wings. It’d be just as dumb as saying we need “ a ReAl pG” I swear we have the least knowledgeable fanbase in the league.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#183 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:00 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
165bows wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
That Twitter clip is 100% where I was worried about the game. Up until that point, I figured the Celtics could make a comeback, but after those back-to-back turnovers happen, I knew this team was in trouble.

Can't remember who I had that conversation with, but the Js still need a quality point guard with them. They aren't LeBron who just needs a guy who can stand around and shoot threes and guard point guards. Great players but this team needs a really good PG to get people in their spots. Hopefully Smart's back soon.

Again, for the hundredth time, we HAVE that guy in Pritchard. But it won’t matter whether it’s him, Smart, White, Schroder or someone else we bring in because we run our sets through Tatum mostly and some through Brown. Our system is not conducive to having a high usage PG since we have Tatum and Brown. So this stupid narrative that we need a PG needs to die. You can all keep posting it but it will keep being dumb. There isn’t anyone we can draft (since we traded our 1st for White FML) or get via FA or trade that is better than Pritchard.

This board has a thing against Pritchard. For some reason, when he gives up 2-3 highly contested shots it weighs more than the dozen that the Jays gave up. Seriously, watch that 3rd quarter again. Were the Jays being “hunted” like you claim teams can do against Pritchard? I mean, they have up contested shots so must be. When Butler scored over both Jays multiple times did those matter less than the one time he scored over Pritchard? Maybe we should start a narrative that we need 3 and D wings. It’d be just as dumb as saying we need “ a ReAl pG” I swear we have the least knowledgeable fanbase in the league.

Pritchard got absolutely abused in the second half yesterday. They sought him out again and again and again as the screen defender - the 4th quarter alone they ran 10 pick and rolls where pp defended the screen 5 times as much as any other celtic and scored 13 points on the 7 he was the defender.

He can’t play 30 minutes- he’s a liability. Less is more with him, with his 15 minutes that’s fine as a shooter and guy who can score some buckets but he can’t play 30 mins or it will be the bubble with kemba again. Luckily smart is coming back and pp won’t have to play 30 minutes again this series
bfchs123
Senior
And1: 1,442

Post#184 » by bfchs123 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:53 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
165bows wrote:Can't remember who I had that conversation with, but the Js still need a quality point guard with them. They aren't LeBron who just needs a guy who can stand around and shoot threes and guard point guards. Great players but this team needs a really good PG to get people in their spots. Hopefully Smart's back soon.

Pritchard got absolutely abused in the second half yesterday. They sought him out again and again and again as the screen defender - the 4th quarter alone they ran 10 pick and rolls where pp defended the screen 5 times as much as any other celtic and scored 13 points on the 7 he was the defender.

He can’t play 30 minutes- he’s a liability. Less is more with him, with his 15 minutes that’s fine as a shooter and guy who can score some buckets but he can’t play 30 mins or it will be the bubble with kemba again. Luckily smart is coming back and pp won’t have to play 30 minutes again this series

Love PP but this is spot in. This is exactly how we lost the bubble match-up to the Heat except swap PP for Kemba. There can't be a single hole in a switch everything defense, especially in crunch time when Butler isolates.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#185 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 18, 2022 9:10 pm

PP was -9 in just 3 mins in the 3rd. Nesmith was -11 in 3 mins. Tatum played whole Q and was -25. Everyone was terrible in that quarter like the team forgot how to play basketball. Haven't seen us get overwhelmed for that long a stretch since maybe our collapse against the Bulls back in November when we got outscored 39-11 in the 4th quarter.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,251

Post#186 » by TheMartian » Wed May 18, 2022 9:57 pm

In the post-game presser, Coach Ime kept emphasizing on the silver lining that the Celtics won 3 of the 4 quarters in the game. Problem is, the only quarter they lost was by 25 points, nullifying the +14 the Celtics had in those 3 quarters that they won.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,678

Post#187 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 18, 2022 11:44 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
165bows wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Perhaps you should root for another team. That might improve two fanbases at once.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,678

Post#188 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 18, 2022 11:51 pm

bfchs123 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Love PP but this is spot in. This is exactly how we lost the bubble match-up to the Heat except swap PP for Kemba. There can't be a single hole in a switch everything defense, especially in crunch time when Butler isolates.

Admittedly, Butler is an extreme case. If you commit to never going for his shot fakes -- as you probably should -- and play totally earthbound, then he feels like he's shooting over people at Durant's or Dirk's height more than at his true level.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#189 » by return2glory » Thu May 19, 2022 12:08 am

We were the better team in game one, for most of the game. Early 3rd, Heat go on a 22-2 run. That's tough to overcome. The team folded.

Smart and Horford are our vets and a big part of this team, as everyone knows. We need them back and soon. Props for Rob for a big game, with Al out. We need more, so much more from White.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#190 » by return2glory » Thu May 19, 2022 12:11 am

We made Butler look like a superstar. He is good but not that good. He isn't in KD or Giannis' level.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,265

Post#191 » by Tyakack » Thu May 19, 2022 12:23 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lebron is one of the greats but maybe stopped with this in his mid-30s lol. But I agree. Hope Tatum grows out of it soon. Just play on, dude. Sets a bad example for your teammates. His BFF Grant is prone to it too.

It's funny, I say the same thing about Tatum.... If that was me though, I probably would have thrown the ball at a ref's face by that point. :lol:
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,527

Post#192 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 12:25 am

return2glory wrote:We were the better team in game one, for most of the game. Early 3rd, Heat go on a 22-2 run. That's tough to overcome. The team folded.

Smart and Horford are our vets and a big part of this team, as everyone knows. We need them back and soon. Props for Rob for a big game, with Al out. We need more, so much more from White.

Did Spurs know his shot was vanishing? Slight “sold a bill of damaged goods” feel lately.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#193 » by return2glory » Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 am

165bows wrote:
return2glory wrote:We were the better team in game one, for most of the game. Early 3rd, Heat go on a 22-2 run. That's tough to overcome. The team folded.

Did Spurs know his shot was vanishing? Slight “sold a bill of damaged goods” feel lately.

They did. So did Boston. He does a lot of things well but shooting isn't one of them.

His overall FG%:
2018: 48%
2019: 46%
2020: 41%
2021: 42.6% with the Spurs and 41% for the Celtics

In his short time with Boston, I've learned he doesn't show up most of the time when we need him. Like yesterday with Smart out.
The times where don't need his scoring, he will give you about 8-10 points by half time and then his scoring drops big time in the 2nd half.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#194 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 am

Tyakack wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's funny, I say the same thing about Tatum.... If that was me though, I probably would have thrown the ball at a ref's face by that point. :lol:

I wouldn't mind it as much if:
1) it didn't hurt the team, except often he doesn't run back on live plays or he gets a tech
2) the more he whines, it seems the more it affects his play

Some of his complaints aren't even legit. Like Heat players whacking at the ball, maybe getting some skin.
Or he feels a tap in the arm on a layup. Refs won't call those in the playoffs.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#195 » by Marvel » Thu May 19, 2022 2:55 am

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:Heat are a good team but they’re easily becoming a thorn on the celtics side. I couldn’t stomach losing to these guys again. Celtics have to show up in game 2 in a big way.

True bro. Losing to them in the bubble was literally humiliating. Losing to them again would destroy me but this team will not let that happen :nod:
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#196 » by Marvel » Thu May 19, 2022 3:04 am

165bows wrote:

Never been a scorer or at least an efficient one. It's so weird, if you look at his FG% he has shot worse every season. I think best case scenario is we got a Trevor Ariza with better playmaking which isn't too shabby but expectations for his offense to improve should be kept low lol.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#197 » by soxfan2003 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:39 am

return2glory wrote:
165bows wrote:

They did. So did Boston. He does a lot of things well but shooting isn't one of them.

His overall FG%:

In his short time with Boston, I've learned he doesn't show up most of the time when we need him. Like yesterday with Smart out.
The times where don't need his scoring, he will give you about 8-10 points by half time and then his scoring drops big time in the 2nd half.

TS% is a better measurement for shooting for players than FG%. Just this year, White had a TS% of 55% with SA and 54.4% with Boston which is very close to his career average of 56%. Just putting in FG% is very misleading since he is shooting more 3's.

The Celtics bench is not strong overall with players like Theis and Grant Williams as below average creators for others so White is probably getting a few less easy shots in transition and less floor spacing than he was used to in SA where he was a starter on a team that was much faster paced.

Given the makeup of the Celtics, the Celtics have not been losing playoff games because of lack of shotmaking, it really has been turnovers, defensive lapses like in transition, offensive rebounders that have lost games more than poor shooting.

The Celtics as a roster with Jaylen Brown and Horford as 2 of the better players on offense are really not meant to overwhelm teams with scoring prowess. Realistically, not easy to transform the Celtics into such a team.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Post#198 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu May 19, 2022 6:59 am

BostonCouchGM wrote: I swear we have the least knowledgeable fanbase in the league.

I lurk around other team boards semi-regularly. We could be dumb as posts and this still wouldn't be true...
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,527

Post#199 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 12:14 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
return2glory wrote:
165bows wrote:Did Spurs know his shot was vanishing? Slight “sold a bill of damaged goods” feel lately.

His overall FG%:

TS% is a better measurement for shooting for players than FG%. Just this year, White had a TS% of 55% with SA and 54.4% with Boston which is very close to his career average of 56%. Just putting in FG% is very misleading since he is shooting more 3's.

The Celtics bench is not strong overall with players like Theis and Grant Williams as below average creators for others so White is probably getting a few less easy shots in transition and less floor spacing than he was used to in SA where he was a starter on a team that was much faster paced.

Given the makeup of the Celtics, the Celtics have not been losing playoff games because of lack of shotmaking, it really has been turnovers, defensive lapses like in transition, offensive rebounders that have lost games more than poor shooting.

The Celtics as a roster with Jaylen Brown and Horford as 2 of the better players on offense are really not meant to overwhelm teams with scoring prowess. Realistically, not easy to transform the Celtics into such a team.

Technically TS% is not much better either since it includes a whole bunch of FT data. eFG% is what you are looking for as just a raw, from-the-floor shooting efficiency. It was really his 3PT shooting that fell off the most in the RS (not wildly so but still) and then the whole thing has cratered in the playoffs.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#200 » by jfs1000d » Thu May 19, 2022 4:57 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
165bows wrote:Can't remember who I had that conversation with, but the Js still need a quality point guard with them. They aren't LeBron who just needs a guy who can stand around and shoot threes and guard point guards. Great players but this team needs a really good PG to get people in their spots. Hopefully Smart's back soon.

PP has to play inexcusable that he was out of rotation early in season. He's a good backup PG and can be a double digit scorer off the bench in his career. Great pick on age. He isn't our starting PG.

Return to Boston Celtics