ImageImageImage

Why is that not a flagrant?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Why is that not a flagrant? 

Post#1 » by Garbanzo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:14 am

Hi you guys,
Don't know why, but I watched game 4 again.
Very masochistic of me :crazy:

Just wondered.. why was Thompson foul not a flagrant 1?
In the video (at 0:50) you can see Jaylen making a three pointer, and Thompson sliding under his feet.

Now, while Curry shot that three ball jumping forward, and Al got the f1, why isn't it the case here?
Jaylen jumps vertically, while Klay jumped forward, giving Brown no space to land.
Brown falls down, and could have been injured.

What am I missing?
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,155

Re: Why is that not a flagrant? 

Post#2 » by dans1230 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:52 pm

Because flagrant fouls are judgement calls and judgement can go either way.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,390

Post#3 » by shackles10 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:22 pm

I felt Al’s was pretty weak while the pro-Warrior ABC crew talked about how obvious it was. Al landed in what would not have been Steph’s landing zone for a normal 3. Steph jumped forward, not egregiously, but because his momentum carried him there with it not being a set shot he was in there, and I didn’t feel Al should have been penalized extra for that. Jaylen didn’t come forward nearly as much on his shot and Klay was still right there so obviously he was the one who came forward. Perfect world I feel neither is more than a common foul, but if they’re so sure one is a flagrant I agree they both should have been called. Seemed like the announcers started to mention it then hushed even quicker than the talks began.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#4 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:40 pm

shackles10 wrote:I felt Al’s was pretty weak while the pro-Warrior ABC crew talked about how obvious it was. Al landed in what would not have been Steph’s landing zone for a normal 3. Steph jumped forward, not egregiously, but because his momentum carried him there with it not being a set shot he was in there, and I didn’t feel Al should have been penalized extra for that. Jaylen didn’t come forward nearly as much on his shot and Klay was still right there so obviously he was the one who came forward. Perfect world I feel neither is more than a common foul, but if they’re so sure one is a flagrant I agree they both should have been called. Seemed like the announcers started to mention it then hushed even quicker than the talks began.

I also felt like Curry jumped to the side and a little behind to bump into Tatum last game after he shot that 3. That wasn't called and he was furious about it which by the rules he has every right to be.

to Curry's credit it seems like not only does he have a legendarily fast release in part due to his release point of his shot. And of course legendary shooting ability... but it's so early in his shooting motion that he doesn't even need to hold his follow through and he can adjust how he lands to land into a player whether it's in front, to the side, or behind him.

It's brutal.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#5 » by Green89 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm

According to the rule, and especially since they called Al on it, it definitely should have been. Jaylen could have sold it better (which he shouldn't have to do), and/or Ime could have argued and demanded a replay (which he shouldn't have to do).

It just proves how inconsistent NBA refereeing is, and how sad the sport has become that guys who embellish plays like that, and coaches who yell and scream louder get the calls.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#6 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:48 pm

It should have been. But whatever, refs miss some calls both ways. I’m sure there were plenty of things we should have been called for but weren’t. Let’s not do this.
Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Post#7 » by Garbanzo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:19 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:It should have been. But whatever, refs miss some calls both ways. I’m sure there were plenty of things we should have been called for but weren’t. Let’s not do this.

Let's don't do what?
I have no complaints for the refs, they called last game pretty even.
I am sure warriors fans have complaints too.

I am genuinely asking a basketball question here, no other intentions.

And regarding the play, the ref looks right at it, Klay stood in Brown's shooting spot, and they called a foul, so they looked at the play.

If by the rules it is a f1, then you are right and they just missed it.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#8 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:52 pm

I think it didn’t get called because Jaylen’s feet never got tangled. He landed cleanly and the foul was upper body. Easily could have been called but I’m okay it wasn’t. The Al foul was much worse even given Curry jumped forward and Brown went straight up and down.

Return to Boston Celtics