ImageImageImage

5 Things

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

5 Things 

Post#1 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Now that the season is over and while it's all still fresh in my mind here are 5 big takeaways:

1) Tatum and Brown have arrived and are definitively not the problem - Any and all questions on the subject have been put to rest, and anything to the contrary is trolling or ignorance. They both had incredible 2-way playoff performances throughout the playoffs (and second half of the season) and proved they can get it done together. Go watch game 6 against Milwaukee if you doubt Tatum. We have two of the top wings in the league and they're 24 and 25 years old.

2) Lack of depth must be addressed - We were 7.5 deep for most of the playoffs and 3-4 of those guys are risks to miss games based on data from the the past few years and in Al's case, age. Grant and Pritchard still definitely have room to grow and I'd expect more from White with a chance to fully integrate into the team, but our roster falls off a cliff after that. You can get some regular season minutes out of Theis, but the only other upside guy is Nesmith, who also struggles to stay healthy and be consistent.

3) Will ownership open the wallet - I heard from a very good source (and posted on this board) back in February that the Celtics priority after acquiring White was to stay out of the tax. I asked if we were going to go after any top buyout guys and was told very confidently we would not, and that ownership didn't believe this team was a real contender. More than anything, that conversation rings in my head as I reflect on this series and how our lack of depth hurt us. Celtics payroll this year was $138M. Warriors was $179M. As Smitty tweeted:

Read on Twitter

4) Too many turnovers, not enough playmaking - In the end too much was put on Tatum (and Brown) to score, create for others, defend and pretty much never come out of the game for a rest. We need someone else who can penetrate and create so that Tatum and Brown can be on the receiving end of that creation instead of shots going to guys like Smart, White and Grant. My December take that we need a playmaking PG was probably over-the-top once Smart stepped it up and Tatum took on more of those responsibilities, but the Warriors highlighted and capitalized on this weakness in the finals.

5) It was a GREAT season - Especially over the next 48 hours, the media (and the ~60% of this board that is trash) will try to tell you this team was overrated, Tatum stinks, Brown can't dribble, etc. etc. etc.

Ignore them. Ime inherited a dysfunctional, soft team and turned them into mentally tough winners. We were 18-21 after losing to the Knicks on January 6th and finished 51-31. That is an incredible 33-10 record, on pace for like 63-19 over a full season. We swept the much hyped Nets, who those same media and negative posters were terrified of. We came back down 3-2 against the defending champ Bucks and Giannis on Tatum's back and advanced to the ECF. We beat Miami in 7 in their house. Tatum turned 24 in March -- 3 months ago. If you want to give up on this team and Tatum go right ahead but the future is **** BRIGHT. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I'm going to enjoy what this team accomplished this year and look forward to seeing what we come back with next season. Hope the guys enjoy their well deserved and abbreviated rest.
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,314

Re: 5 Things 

Post#2 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:59 pm

Agreed with a lot of what you said. But you're sugarcoating it a TON! The future is bright, says all fans of a losing Finals team. But there is NO guarantee that these guys will even come close next season and beyond. You HAVE to take advantage of your chances, and this core has consistently failed to do in the past few post seasons. You cannot make the SAME mistakes again and again, because that means you have NO leadership and NO desire to improve and be better. The clock has to start ticking on this core....time to move on from Smart if it nets you a good shooter.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#3 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:00 pm

sprash9802 wrote:Agreed with a lot of what you said. But you're sugarcoating it a TON! The future is bright, says all fans of a losing Finals team. But there is NO guarantee that these guys will even come close next season and beyond. You HAVE to take advantage of your chances, and this core has consistently failed to do in the past few post seasons. You cannot make the SAME mistakes again and again, because that means you have NO leadership and NO desire to improve and be better. The clock has to start ticking on this core....time to move on from Smart if it nets you a good shooter.

Thanks for the comment -- I think items 2, 3 and 4 were all constructive criticism of the team though. And the future is bright comment was about the age of our core and my belief in Tatum.
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,314

Post#4 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:02 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:Agreed with a lot of what you said. But you're sugarcoating it a TON! The future is bright, says all fans of a losing Finals team. But there is NO guarantee that these guys will even come close next season and beyond. You HAVE to take advantage of your chances, and this core has consistently failed to do in the past few post seasons. You cannot make the SAME mistakes again and again, because that means you have NO leadership and NO desire to improve and be better. The clock has to start ticking on this core....time to move on from Smart if it nets you a good shooter.

Thanks for the comment -- I think items 2, 3 and 4 were all constructive criticism of the team though. And the future is bright comment was about the age of our core and my belief in Tatum.

This core might not be it....not if Smart is your third cog in the Big Three. He just isn't good or consistent enough to be a starting PG on a championship team. And next season will tell if JT has what it takes as well. His Finals performance was a major slap in the face to those who championed him.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'

-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#5 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm

100% on the tax thing, they dumped Juancho and then Bol Bol/Dozier to get under the tax. White was acquired with the idea that this team could maybe make the Finals in 2-3 years I'd bet, and then they made it this year.

I just see no reason the team shouldn't spend pretty deep into the tax next year. You can probably dump Theis for a smaller salary guy as bench big depth, but outside of that, this team has to be prepared to spend in the coming years if they want to be good
bfchs123
Senior
And1: 1,434

Post#6 » by bfchs123 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:25 pm

All very good points - owners need to be willing to spend (btw with all the incentives, did we even end up dodging the tax this year?)

I think we need to upgrade the 3rd scorer spot, Smart can't be the #3 option. That said, our identity is defense so I think we keep Smart and RWIII as the 1/5 defensive anchors. People are forgetting how much of a hole a 6ft PG creates in the defense and I think we can sacrifice playmaking (at least at the starting PG spot) for Smart's size and hope the Jay's continue to progress in that category.

Horford's 4 spot I think is ideally the place to get another wing or forward that can be a legitimate 3rd option. Doesn't HAVE to be an all-star but a guy who can play that Wiggins/Harrison Barnes type role on a championship team.

Potential options that could be actionable: Beal (#1 choice), John Collins, Harrison Barnes, Jeremi Grant, Malcom Brogdon, Hayward(?? call me a homer but his playmaking and scoring would actually fit perfectly again if he can stay healthy)

Return to Boston Celtics