ImageImageImage

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Re: Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTY Finalist) 

Post#1081 » by djFan71 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Maybe Joe failed in some grand, meta-coaching sense of not getting these clowns to brick everything and repeatedly make bad decisions. The offense however was fine and it's been a top 3 offense in the season and post-season. I don't know how you guys watch the same games I do and come away with the idea that Joe's just telling Tatum and Jaylen go ISO for 48 minutes.

Great stuff in this recent run of posts.

I lean more your way, but the bad decisions / lack of game plan discipline - maybe I can see some blame on Joe? Part of coaching is to make the players execute the plan - not just come up with it. That's where Ime was a little better, perhaps, at making them do it. Joe's obviously not telling them to make dumb plays and turnovers, but it's also clear they're not really executing what he DOES want them to do either.

EDIT: Consistently. They do it a large amount of the time. But not every time down the court.

That's fair. I don't think BK is saying that Mazzulla should get 0% of the blame.

And despite the fact that I've defended Mazzulla quite a bit on here, I don't think he should get 0% of the blame either.

I think both BK and myself simply want the blame % to be shifted more fairly, that's all.

Because when you read many of the posts in this thread (and in many other threads on here) by the many folks who have been advocating for Mazzulla to be fired, you feel like many posters here think that 90 or even 100% of the blame (for us being down 3-0 with a blowout loss in game 3 and 2 losses at home) is on Mazzulla.

Yep, I didn't think he was saying that either. I was just continuing the discussion is all.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#1082 » by djFan71 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Maybe Joe failed in some grand, meta-coaching sense of not getting these clowns to brick everything and repeatedly make bad decisions. The offense however was fine and it's been a top 3 offense in the season and post-season. I don't know how you guys watch the same games I do and come away with the idea that Joe's just telling Tatum and Jaylen go ISO for 48 minutes.

Great stuff in this recent run of posts.

I lean more your way, but the bad decisions / lack of game plan discipline - maybe I can see some blame on Joe? Part of coaching is to make the players execute the plan - not just come up with it. That's where Ime was a little better, perhaps, at making them do it. Joe's obviously not telling them to make dumb plays and turnovers, but it's also clear they're not really executing what he DOES want them to do either.

EDIT: Consistently. They do it a large amount of the time. But not every time down the court.

I think Ime's offense was a little more predictable and ISO-centric.

he started breaking the iso habits, Joe continued it. Ime got them to buy in on the D end more. Tho, tbf, Rob's health was better and most of the ideas were Joes, afaik. But, Ime just had that charisma to make guys wanna do it. And, unfortunately, female staffers as well.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#1083 » by Floody100 » Fri May 26, 2023 3:30 am

Please make me eat my own words Joe !
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,427

Post#1084 » by shackles10 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:22 am

Not mad at Joe these last two games. He’s called timeouts not when we desperately needed them, but at just the right times. Rotations have been pretty good. Even trying PP a little yesterday he quickly changed it when he saw something he didn’t like. Overall doesn’t seem to be as stubborn. Also the huddles we get to hear sound like he knows what he’s doing. Hopefully a switch in humility turns a corner on our season and Joe’s hold on the locker room.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#1085 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Joe coaching circles around Spo rn.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#1086 » by Theocy » Sat May 27, 2023 6:51 pm

Lads, our guys were shooting like a G league team for 3 games. You could have spo, pop and all the great ones sitting on the bench brainstorming collectively how should play, it would be the same ****.

If they keep firing at the clip they have been the last 2 games i doubt we loose another game. If they slip again we are done.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#1087 » by darrendaye » Sat May 27, 2023 8:37 pm

darrendaye wrote:A thought just crossed my mind....any possibility of Blake transitioning to a coaching staff role next year? Not that I'm suggesting this is a likely course. But I'm anticipating there may be a defection or two to Ime's staff and if Griffin had interest in coaching and if he created a bond with the Jays it might be a stars aligning situation. He's been team oriented about playing time and playing career on fumes. They would benefit with a coaching "grey beard" to help counsel Joe, but if there are 2 slots that need filling and want an "upside" coach, it's a longshot possibility I guess, right?

Posted this is the main season thread, but thought it might contribute in this discussion as well. I'd want to give Joe time. But agree a steady wise super experienced voice on the staff is the best direction to go. Joe might also need a player communicator to calm things down when there is player-head coach conflicts. Joe is has an intensity which is great, but having one good chill guy can help balance that when it gets tilted. Not saying they don't have one.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#1088 » by playa-hater » Sat May 27, 2023 9:45 pm

darrendaye wrote:
darrendaye wrote:A thought just crossed my mind....any possibility of Blake transitioning to a coaching staff role next year? Not that I'm suggesting this is a likely course. But I'm anticipating there may be a defection or two to Ime's staff and if Griffin had interest in coaching and if he created a bond with the Jays it might be a stars aligning situation. He's been team oriented about playing time and playing career on fumes. They would benefit with a coaching "grey beard" to help counsel Joe, but if there are 2 slots that need filling and want an "upside" coach, it's a longshot possibility I guess, right?

Posted this is the main season thread, but thought it might contribute in this discussion as well. I'd want to give Joe time. But agree a steady wise super experienced voice on the staff is the best direction to go. Joe might also need a player communicator to calm things down when there is player-head coach conflicts. Joe is has an intensity which is great, but having one good chill guy can help balance that when it gets tilted. Not saying they don't have one.

By all accounts it seems like blake is an outstanding guy.. Don't think that would make him a good coach necessarily... But I certainly won't complain if he's added on as the last new assistant..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,730

Post#1089 » by KamikazeK » Sun May 28, 2023 4:10 am

If bazooka Joe can coach these guys to a completed reverse sweep of the Heat in the ECF then I'll forgive him for the poor start and retract my expectation for a new coach in the offseason. If they go down in game 7 tho then I don't think getting 3 wins should save him imo.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTY Finalist) 

Post#1090 » by jfs1000d » Sun May 28, 2023 2:10 pm

Got to find a reason why this team struggles late in Games. It isn’t coach. They’d strugglers with Ime and Brad same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#1091 » by sam_I_am » Sun May 28, 2023 2:23 pm

For all the criticism directed at Joe Mazulla - fairly or unfairly - there is one incontrovertible thing for which he deserves credit. He unlocked the potential of Derrick White here in Boston. White had a career year and in a season where the team lost its defensive identity at times, Derrick White found his - making an all defensive team.

And man did it pay off last night!

Play off the new millennium to win the game.
3-7 from 3 when rest of team was 4-28.
1-12 shooting by players he guarded including 0-4 from 3 when Heat shot 14-26 from 3 against rest of team
6-8 shooting by players he passed to.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#1092 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 28, 2023 5:03 pm

I will say this, after Game 3 I thought the team had quit on him. It looked like no one wanted to put up the effort to fight and were basically counting down to Cancun.

But this team clearly has come out with an edge and have refused to just quit. And I do think if there is one important thing to talk about with HC in the NBA is, do they have the locker room? These guys are clearly playing hard. I dont think you can come back from a 3-0 deficit to at minimum force a Game 7, if the players no longer want to play for their coach.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#1093 » by Big J » Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm

Joe has gotten better as the playoffs have gone along. He started out as a complete moron, and now he seems like he's at a Doc Rivers level. He might reach Ty Lue by the end of the Finals.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,265

Post#1094 » by Tyakack » Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I will say this, after Game 3 I thought the team had quit on him. It looked like no one wanted to put up the effort to fight and were basically counting down to Cancun.

But this team clearly has come out with an edge and have refused to just quit. And I do think if there is one important thing to talk about with HC in the NBA is, do they have the locker room? These guys are clearly playing hard. I dont think you can come back from a 3-0 deficit to at minimum force a Game 7, if the players no longer want to play for their coach.

I still think they quit in game 3.... But I guess that quit didn't last long. They regrouped with a different mindset after that.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#1095 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:57 pm

sam_I_am wrote:For all the criticism directed at Joe Mazulla - fairly or unfairly - there is one incontrovertible thing for which he deserves credit. He unlocked the potential of Derrick White here in Boston. White had a career year and in a season where the team lost its defensive identity at times, Derrick White found his - making an all defensive team.

And man did it pay off last night!

Play off the new millennium to win the game.
3-7 from 3 when rest of team was 4-28.
1-12 shooting by players he guarded including 0-4 from 3 when Heat shot 14-26 from 3 against rest of team
6-8 shooting by players he passed to.

He also exiled Grant Williams and Pritchard to the deep bench which was long overdue.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1096 » by Big J » Tue May 30, 2023 2:35 am

You guys still want him gone?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#1097 » by playa-hater » Tue May 30, 2023 2:41 am

Big J wrote:You guys still want him gone?

Even if Boston won hes clearly not a good coach. I think the evidence of that is far greater than any evidence of him being an okay coach..

And i'm not buying that he's only a rookie ship...

If brad doesn't fire him then brad needs to go himself..

Running in the back with this coach and a couple of veteran coaches is definitely not the answer.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Big J
General Manager

Post#1098 » by Big J » Tue May 30, 2023 2:44 am

playa-hater wrote:
Big J wrote:You guys still want him gone?

Even if Boston won hes clearly not a good coach. I think the evidence of that is far greater than any evidence of him being an okay coach..

And i'm not buying that he's only a rookie ship...

If brad doesn't fire him then brad needs to go himself..

Running in the back with this coach and a couple of veteran coaches is definitely not the answer.

If I'm the owner I'm telling Brad to get his ass back on the sidelines and out of that cushy suite where he doesn't have to answer any of the tough questions.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,730

Post#1099 » by KamikazeK » Tue May 30, 2023 3:30 am

A fake 0-3 comeback and Tatum's ankle better not take the focus away from what this team needs - A new coach who can get them playing the right way.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#1100 » by Marvel » Tue May 30, 2023 3:36 am

Big J wrote:Joe has gotten better as the playoffs have gone along. He started out as a complete moron, and now he seems like he's at a Doc Rivers level. He might reach Ty Lue by the end of the Finals.

Return to Boston Celtics