ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown Discussion Thread - New and Improved!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Re: Jaylen Brown Discussion Thread - New and Improved! 

Post#1541 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:02 pm

flintsky21 wrote:Jaylen leaving would be the best thing that could happen to Boston sans a championship. He's really what's holding this team back from achieving its full potential. I wouldn't even care if he leaves for nothing. This would be the epitome of addition by subtraction. Good luck averaging 30 points in Detroit and never sniffing the playoffs again for the next 5 years.

The suggestion was Quickley/Barrett/pick(s) FWIW (almost nothing) lol. Sign and trade.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#1542 » by GWVan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:04 pm

This thread can't decide is they don't want JB because he disrupts the flow of the team and is holding them back or if we can't afford to lose him and he's probably going to walk.

Sad thing is that if the ping pong balls fell right we could have had Ben Simmons.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1543 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:01 pm

Ok just read all the screen shots (NYT is beyond trash). Agree with Cave in this instance safest assumption is he’s halfway out the door.

Big variable in the equation is how the CBA changes this summer as it sounds like it might make extensions more flexible. Trade thread going to be real long this summer lol.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#1544 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:14 pm

GWVan wrote:This thread can't decide is they don't want JB because he disrupts the flow of the team and is holding them back or if we can't afford to lose him and he's probably going to walk.

Sad thing is that if the ping pong balls fell right we could have had Ben Simmons.

Except for a very select few, I believe most think we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. That’s different from we can’t afford to lose him. There’s just no way to replace him since we’d still be over the cap if he walks. Not much in terms of tradeable assets, no young guys in the pipeline, no immediate cap space.

So if there are indications he’s out the door in FA, some (me included) are in favor of Brad exploring trade possibilities. But now that he only has a year left in his contract, he kinda could control where he goes and how much the Cs could get in return.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1545 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:24 pm

As I've said all along, if we fail to win the championship he could very likely be gone in the offseason. I think Brad won't let him walk for nothing. Now, who would want him in a one year deal and hope they can sign him after, and what would they be willing to give up for that? That's the question. I can see a dozen teams that will want him but would he want to sign there? ATL, WASH, LAL and BK are the teams that make the most sense. I think he is going into politics after the NBA and each of these cities gives him the opportunity to do that. Jaylen doesn't make these comments if he had any plans to stay imho. He's not nearly as smart as people believe but he's at least that smart.
Stan34
Senior
And1: 441

Post#1546 » by Stan34 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:37 pm

Instead of talking about his playing, he is by far the best Celtics after the ASG (28 pt 7 R 3.8 A with 50% from the floor and 38% from three), people talk only negativity.
And posters want him out don't lose time to push a narrative. He always said the Celtics are top 5 franchise in the NBA and you think twice before leaving. Jaylen is not stupid. Clearly he wants money and it's will not be smart folrom him saying "I STAY AT EVERY CONDITIONS"

Inviato dal mio CPH2399 utilizzando Tapatalk
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1547 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
GWVan wrote:This thread can't decide is they don't want JB because he disrupts the flow of the team and is holding them back or if we can't afford to lose him and he's probably going to walk.

Except for a very select few, I believe most think we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. That’s different from we can’t afford to lose him. There’s just no way to replace him since we’d still be over the cap if he walks. Not much in terms of tradeable assets, no young guys in the pipeline, no immediate cap space.

So if there are indications he’s out the door in FA, some (me included) are in favor of Brad exploring trade possibilities. But now that he only has a year left in his contract, he kinda could control where he goes and how much the Cs could get in return.

Same. Only deal I ever proposed for Jaylen was bringing in Beal in a sign and trade and trading Brown for a high enough pick for Banchero. There wasn’t a sense in moving him unless it was a clear win. But losing a salary slot alone not to mention an all-star caliber player is crippling. Have to imagine the groundwork is laid out over the next couple months so if they are to do something they are well prepared this summer in terms of options.

I think the Knick deal is something and then the same thing but some of the Knick guards going to Orlando for a lotto pick involved is another framework. Same as we’ve discussed in the past - good, undervalued teams players on team friendly deals.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#1548 » by sam_I_am » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:49 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Jaylen - IMHO - is going to make all NBA and get a contract extension. He deserves it even more since all-star break given that Tatum is no longer playing like an MVP candidate. After that happens and the season is over …..talk trade all you want. To worry about him walking out the door right now as we face final 15 games before the playoffs is pointless and unnecessary negativity.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,854

Post#1549 » by BK_2020 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:00 pm

Stan34 wrote:Instead of talking about his playing, he is by far the best Celtics after the ASG (28 pt 7 R 3.8 A with 50% from the floor and 38% from three), people talk only negativity.
And posters want him out don't lose time to push a narrative. He always said the Celtics are top 5 franchise in the NBA and you think twice before leaving. Jaylen is not stupid. Clearly he wants money and it's will not be smart folrom him saying "I STAY AT EVERY CONDITIONS"

It's 11 games. It's literally nothing.

Jaylen's also not by far the best player. He's at 28-6.6-3.8 on .584 TS. Tatum's at 28-11.5.5 on .563 TS. Same scoring, Jaylen more efficient, Tatum with better non-scoring box score stats.

As for his future the best thing would be to ask him to bulk up and become the Celtics PF of the future but he's never going to accept that so best to trade him to some **** team that will let him dribble it up every possession and lose 60 games a year.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,854

Post#1550 » by BK_2020 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:01 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Jaylen - IMHO - is going to make all NBA and get a contract extension. He deserves it even more since all-star break given that Tatum is no longer playing like an MVP candidate. After that happens and the season is over …..talk trade all you want. To worry about him walking out the door right now as we face final 15 games before the playoffs is pointless and unnecessary negativity.

What does this even mean? Tatum is no longer playing like an MVP candidate and we suck. That kinda proves that Jaylen isn't a top 15 player.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#1551 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:11 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

The trade talk stemmed from his very recent interview with Sopan Deb. People are reacting to the interview. It’s unnatural to hold off on their reaction until the season is over. Fans can choose to not participate in the discussion. Or talk about something else JB-related in this thread.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1552 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:31 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Since all star break Tatum hasn’t played like an mvp- what’s our record 7-5? How does that make Jaylen brown more deserving of all nba because the teams mvp candidate isn’t playing as well anymore? It’s fine to think Jaylen should be all nba if you choose but this logic is funny and makes no sense

Furthermore we wouldn’t be talking about this with 15 games left to play if there wasn’t headline grabbing stories out like this which are going to cause the fan base to react. Blame the source- not the fans for discussing it
Stan34
Senior

Post#1553 » by Stan34 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:42 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Except for a very select few, I believe most think we can’t afford to lose him for nothing. That’s different from we can’t afford to lose him. There’s just no way to replace him since we’d still be over the cap if he walks. Not much in terms of tradeable assets, no young guys in the pipeline, no immediate cap space.

Since all star break Tatum hasn’t played like an mvp- what’s our record 7-5? How does that make Jaylen brown more deserving of all nba because the teams mvp candidate isn’t playing as well anymore? It’s fine to think Jaylen should be all nba if you choose but this logic is funny and makes no sense

Furthermore we wouldn’t be talking about this with 15 games left to play if there wasn’t headline grabbing stories out like this which are going to cause the fan base to react. Blame the source- not the fans for discussing it
Its not just Tatum not playing great. Smart also is playing like crap. Grant too. And Rob is out for a long stretch. Despite all that if Grant makes 1 freaking FT we are 8-4. Not that bad right?

Inviato dal mio moto g(7) plus utilizzando Tapatalk
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1554 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:44 pm

Stan34 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Its not just Tatum not playing great. Smart also is playing like crap. Grant too. And Rob is out for a long stretch. Despite all that if Grant makes 1 freaking FT we are 8-4. Not that bad right?

Inviato dal mio moto g(7) plus utilizzando Tapatalk

It still doesn’t justify the argument that Jaylen is more deserving of all nba because the teams mvp has sucked lately…that’s silly logic
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1555 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:01 pm

Agree with Zach Lowe that his all-NBA bid would depend on how JB is slotted -- guard or forward. He'd be hard-pressed to make it as a guard. Might be easier to make it as a forward due to injuries/prolonged absence of the usual suspects. If his votes are divided between positions, he could get screwed the way Tatum was prior to his own extension eligibility year.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#1556 » by Drax » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Jaylen for the love of god/allah/[insert what ever fancies you], why does this interview has to be published during our worst stretch of the season. If there is a slow NBA news week the talking heads will pick this up and we get the latest episode of Celtics players have to talk about Boston fans and racism. And it's always just before the play offs. The perfect kind of distraction, just like clockwork.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1557 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Drax wrote:Jaylen for the love of god/allah/[insert what ever fancies you], why does this interview has to be published during our worst stretch of the season. If there is a slow NBA news week the talking heads will pick this up and we get the latest episode of Celtics players have to talk about Boston fans and racism. And it's always just before the play offs. The perfect kind of distraction, just like clockwork.

Like clockwork because it’s literally on the media companies promo calendars. They just schedule it out.
Stan34
Senior

Post#1558 » by Stan34 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:19 pm

Noticed that we won another game when JB took more than 20 shots.

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1559 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:49 pm

So if we're going to do all the hand-wringing about Jaylen leaving because of the comments, let's look at this from all angles.

If Jaylen makes All-NBA this year or next, he is eligible for a 5 year, $290 million supermax contract with Boston. Obviously, he's not turning that down.

If he doesn't, he is eligible for a 5 year, approximately $249 million dollar deal with the Celtics in 2024 FA. With another team, it would be a 4 years, $184 million dollar deal. So one more year and approximately $65 more million if he stays in Boston.

If Jaylen leaves, it would probably be for one of two reasons: one, it's what you guys think, he doesn't like the fans. Two, he's not the guy here.

Possible teams he could leave for are teams that would make him a top option, or going home to Atlanta. The Hawks are kind of a dumpster fire right now and JB has openly stated he'd prefer blacking for a black coach, and Quin Snyder is not that. But it's home.

With Kyrie, we heard a lot of rumors about him leaving, even prior to him saying he'd stay publicly. With Jaylen, we've heard essentially nothing. All we have are public comments, and him liking a tweet saying he feels disrespected by Celtics fans. And the KD stuff. Every writer that has spoken on this, whether it be Jared Weiss, or Jake Fischer, or Mark Murphy, have indicated he wants to stay in Boston (Weiss said "he doesn't get the sense that he's playing his contract out and looking to leave" to be exact).

This summer will be telling. If they don't trade him, that should speak volumes about how they feel about their chances of him staying. If they do, well, yeah.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#1560 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Higly unlikely Jaylen Brown is leaving the Celtics. I put the probability at 5% but at least it gives this forum something to talk about and in the end that's all that matters.

Return to Boston Celtics