ImageImageImage

Do you still believe?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LarryBoyd
Freshman
And1: 35

Re: Do you still believe? 

Post#141 » by LarryBoyd » Sun May 28, 2023 3:29 am

barkley needs to shut his trap!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,154

Post#142 » by Hal14 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:34 am

TheMartian wrote:This is **** FATE.

that's what it felt like with the red sox in 2004 and it's certainly starting to feel that way again :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,257

Post#143 » by TheMartian » Sun May 28, 2023 3:45 am

Hal14 wrote:

that's what it felt like with the red sox in 2004 and it's certainly starting to feel that way again :)

I mean, for that ball to go in and out and then fall exactly into Derrick's hands for that tip in - that's some divine intervention **** right there.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#144 » by 31to6 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:13 am

TheMartian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I mean, for that ball to go in and out and then fall exactly into Derrick's hands for that tip in - that's some divine intervention **** right there.

Three options:
1. White tips it in
2. It bounces out the other way and Tatum slams it in
3. It bounces around and goes in

Those are the three options Bill and Tommy had set up. Nothing else. It’s a great night for the Irish!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
TatumMVP
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,130

Post#145 » by TatumMVP » Sun May 28, 2023 5:28 am

Yes i belive..
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,484

Post#146 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun May 28, 2023 7:30 am

The answer is still no. I’d need to see consistent execution down the stretch for me to believe. We got lucky. Luck is great but it doesn’t inspire belief. This series so far is also beyond belief.

In the end it doesn’t matter whether I believe. I always hope.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#147 » by will » Sun May 28, 2023 12:21 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:The answer is still no. I’d need to see consistent execution down the stretch for me to believe. We got lucky. Luck is great but it doesn’t inspire belief. This series so far is also beyond belief.

Need to be good to be lucky.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#148 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun May 28, 2023 1:13 pm

will wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:The answer is still no. I’d need to see consistent execution down the stretch for me to believe. We got lucky. Luck is great but it doesn’t inspire belief. This series so far is also beyond belief.

I have zero doubt about this team’s talent. I have belief in that, just not in their consistency of focus not to get in their own way. Not yet. I’m not having a go at them, not really. In the scheme of things they’ve accomplished a large amount together at quite a young age. I believe they can do it, but I don’t have the level of belief that they will do it.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#149 » by sam_I_am » Sun May 28, 2023 1:27 pm

I did believe they could come back because they were just so much better all year. I was truly shocked they fell behind 3-0.

However, I have to be completely honest. When the Heat were down 100-96, and then 102-100 …. I believed that the Celtics were going to let it slip away. That is what I believed. When Smart’s 3 rattled in and out I believed it. When Derrick won the game….that I couldn’t believe.

Amongst the Greatest Celtic moments of my life along with Henderson steal, the Bird steal and DJ layup and every final minute of the final 3 games of 1981 Sixer-Celtic series.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#150 » by will » Sun May 28, 2023 1:45 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
will wrote:

I have zero doubt about this team’s talent. I have belief in that, just not in their consistency of focus not to get in their own way. Not yet. I’m not having a go at them, not really. In the scheme of things they’ve accomplished a large amount together at quite a young age. I believe they can do it, but I don’t have the level of belief that they will do it.

I have extra belief for you.

Here you go!

Believe, dammit.

Celtics taking game 7.

We will discuss after.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#151 » by Ed Pinkney » Sun May 28, 2023 1:46 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:Its gone from impossible to improbable. Ask me again after Game 5.

Which is why it is going to be an even bigger kick in the plums if they lose.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,874

Post#152 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun May 28, 2023 1:47 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Right now, are you kidding me?! If we win 4 of the next 5, then definitely yes, faith never wavered.

Need one more win so I can claim I never doubted them.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#153 » by Hal14 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:37 pm

I bet you're real fun at a party
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#154 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun May 28, 2023 10:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Ummm…yes?

Lol weird response dude, I know all the great parties I’ve been to are because of the people who have blind belief in their sports teams.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,762

Post#155 » by KamikazeK » Sun May 28, 2023 10:48 pm

At this point everybody should believe.

Yes, they lost the first 3 games. It sucked, and everyone was justified to count them out. But that doesn't matter anymore - This series is tied. They did what they have to do and now they have the chance to finish the job at home. Can't ask for anything more than that.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#156 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun May 28, 2023 11:35 pm

KamikazeK wrote:At this point everybody should believe.

Yes, they lost the first 3 games. It sucked, and everyone was justified to count them out. But that doesn't matter anymore - This series is tied. They did what they have to do and now they have the chance to finish the job at home. Can't ask for anything more than that.

I believed heading into the playoffs. Since then I've lost belief in the consistent focus of the team, especially when there feels like there is wiggle room for them.

While a typical game 7 is no wiggle room, I have worries about this scenario where they take a collective deep breath after the effort of drawing level and have a let down.

In the spirit of this thread I'm sharing my thoughts, but in reality everyone should be however they want to be. It really doesn't matter whether I believe or not. For me it's become easier to watch not believing, especially with their scratchy late game execution.

It's all expectation management. Lower my expectations and the games become more enjoyable.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#157 » by soxfan2003 » Sun May 28, 2023 11:45 pm

Entering the series, I picked Celtics in 7 but after Miami took a 3-0 lead, I figured Heat in 6. This series is far from over but I like the Celtics chances especially if they can manage to win the turnover/rebounding battle again. Defending Butler is tough since he is a crafty scorer that throws tons of fakes at defenders in the hopes of getting them to move so he can draw fouls.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#158 » by Hal14 » Mon May 29, 2023 1:59 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Ummm…yes?

Lol weird response dude, I know all the great parties I’ve been to are because of the people who have blind belief in their sports teams.

Lol. Dude, the thread's title is do you believe. As in do you believe we can win the series vs Miami (cause it was posted when we were down 3-0).

That's it, man. No need to read into it more deeply than that.

Do you believe we can win the series vs Miami?

You said no to that - even though we've the series is tied 3-3, we've won 3 games in a row vs Miami, have game 7 at home. And have clearly the more talented team. These past 3 games, we've outscored Miami by 31 points total.

But apparently, you don't believe we can win game 7.

Yet somehow you think that my post (calling you a Debbie Downer) was weird :roll:

If you don't believe this team can win on Monday night in game 7 at the Garden, I don't think you're a real fan.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#159 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Mon May 29, 2023 2:04 am

Hal14 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I bet you're real fun at a party

Ummm…yes?

Lol. Dude, the thread's title is do you believe. As in do you believe we can win the series vs Miami (cause it was posted when we were down 3-0).

That's it, man. No need to read into it more deeply than that.

Do you believe we can win the series vs Miami?

You said no to that - even though we've the series is tied 3-3, we've won 3 games in a row vs Miami, have game 7 at home. And have clearly the more talented team. These past 3 games, we've outscored Miami by 31 points total.

But apparently, you don't believe we can win game 7.

Yet somehow you think that my post (calling you a Debbie Downer) was weird :roll:

The OP did not say can win, it was left open.

I always believe we can win. I don't always believe we will win.

I do think your post was weird because me believing in a sports result has zero to do with much else.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#160 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue May 30, 2023 3:03 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:Its gone from impossible to improbable. Ask me again after Game 5.

Which is why it is going to be an even bigger kick in the plums if they lose.

/end.

Return to Boston Celtics