ImageImageImage

Doc or Joe?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,266

Re: Doc or Joe? 

Post#21 » by Tyakack » Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 am

31to6 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:
31to6 wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and say the elephant in the room that is my head: I'm not sure if Nick Nurse has the right skin color to coach the current Boston Celtics.

Feel however you want about it, your feelings about it don't matter. When Brad left, it was fairly public that skin color was an important hiring criteria for the next coach. Two years later, I'm not sure where the team is with that.

Feel free to argue otherwise if you wish

That wasn't why I posted that.... But I won't open that can of worms. It's not even worth it to me. The statement speaks for itself.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#22 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu May 25, 2023 2:04 pm

Joe for the simple reason he has the potential to get better while Doc while likely just continue to be awful (assuming he gets another job) until he gets his ESPN gig.
*Insert witty signature here.*
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#23 » by 31to6 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 pm

Tyakack wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:

That wasn't why I posted that.... But I won't open that can of worms. It's not even worth it to me. The statement speaks for itself.

worth a couple of gifs but not any discussion; I guess that's where we are these days.
the elephant is in the room whether people want to talk about it or not.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,266

Post#24 » by Tyakack » Thu May 25, 2023 2:30 pm

31to6 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:
31to6 wrote:

worth a couple of gifs but not any discussion; I guess that's where we are these days.

It's not my call. I've attempted to talk about this before and every time I get silenced. So, yeah. That's why I said it's not worth it. You can say whatever you want in one direction, and only one direction. That has been made very clear to me many times on here. It is what it is. I'm here for the celtics only anyways. Big game tonight. :nod:
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,418

Post#25 » by Triple7 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:31 pm

31to6 wrote:c'mon now, Doc is washed and there are better coaches out there. Monty Williams. Nick Nurse. To name two.

Hard Pass on monty! Back to back 40pt losses at home in the playoffs won’t cut it. I gave him a pass for losing against the bucks. The loss against luka and the mavericks is unforgiveable. Doing that again against the nuggets? Lol i don’t want anything to do with that coach.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#26 » by 31to6 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:44 pm

Tyakack wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:

It's not my call. I've attempted to talk about this before and every time I get silenced. So, yeah. That's why I said it's not worth it. You can say whatever you want in one direction, and only one direction. That has been made very clear to me many times on here. It is what it is. I'm here for the celtics only anyways. Big game tonight. :nod:

ah -- I think I get what you're saying, thanks. In case you're not clear what I'm saying, I'm not saying that I think the Celtics should decide who coaches the team based on skin color, but I do think it was reported as being important -- when Brad moved to the front office -- that the coach a) be a former player and b) have a darker skin tone than Brad. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but I know what I feel about that is totally irrelevant, and I do want the Celtics to get the most out of their team, which means getting players to (for whatever reason) buy in to what their coach is selling.

So honestly I'd be interested in Nick Nurse if this season stalls out in the ECF. And maybe the team would consider it. But I think -- again, based on reporting from the end of 2021 -- that they may not, so I'm tempted to not waste my time thinking about something the team isn't going to do.

I think the most likely scenario is that Joe stays on as HC, but with a veteran assistant or two brought in, one of whom is known to be 'plan B' in case Joe's second season is rocky.

And YES -- big game tonight -- let's get it! :rock: :rock: :rock:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics