ImageImageImage

Max on 98.5: Players and upper managament exchanging words in Miami

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Re: Max on 98.5: Players and upper managament exchanging words in Miami 

Post#21 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 23, 2023 2:51 pm

31to6 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Upper Management has to be Brad Stevens

right? I don't know who else it could be. Mike Zarren? Is Austin Ainge still employed by the Celtics?

I wonder what the words were about -- I can't imagine Brad telling the guys they're playing like ****, but I can imagine players complaining about Ime if reports are to be believed.

On that note, seems like Ime **** a lot more than a staffer, he really **** the whole franchise for a year or two here.

Could be ownership/business management.

I doubt firing Ime was really Brad's decision; whether or not he agreed, the final decision was collective and/or above him. It would fit Brad's personality to convey that honestly to the players, and also not to circumvent any instructions he got about not revealing details.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#22 » by 31to6 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:55 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
31to6 wrote:

right? I don't know who else it could be. Mike Zarren? Is Austin Ainge still employed by the Celtics?

I wonder what the words were about -- I can't imagine Brad telling the guys they're playing like ****, but I can imagine players complaining about Ime if reports are to be believed.

On that note, seems like Ime **** a lot more than a staffer, he really **** the whole franchise for a year or two here.

I doubt firing Ime was really Brad's decision; whether or not he agreed, the final decision was collective and/or above him. It would fit Brad's personality to convey that honestly to the players, and also not to circumvent any instructions he got about not revealing details.

Yeah, could be Wyc, I just imagined Maxwell would use the word ownership in that case, but maybe not (intentionally or unintentionally).

Maybe Wyc and Brad are the *real* "Fire and Ice" in this franchise.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,085

Post#23 » by fallguy » Tue May 23, 2023 3:01 pm

The Celtics are a mess on basically every front now. This is going to be quite the offseason.
Celtic_Pride777
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#24 » by Celtic_Pride777 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:05 pm

My guess is one of the players is Jaylen Brown. Gary Washburn observed him "biting his tongue from telling his truth. You can tell he has a lot on his mind." Gary obviously knows something but can't share it. (I hate when journalists do that)

Winning cures everything. I'm convinced if they win tonight's game and push the series to six games, it will help ease tensions. But if they play badly and are swept, I think these problems will linger in the offseason.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#25 » by soxfan2003 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:07 pm

Brad may have been perturbed enough to say something basic like "I realize you are frustrated by some calls. I didn't like them either but you have to get back on defense. We have to uphold the professionalism and pride of being a Celtic." I could see Brad saying something like that but then a few players may have aired out their own grievances while chirping back at Stevens/whoever.

Bottom line is the players weren't 100% professional last year against Miami and it led to them being a Jimmy Butler shot away from almost losing the series. This group is still not that close to 100% professional but Miami has more 2 way hustle players playing and are hotter this year and as a result, the Celtics are on the verge of being swept.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#26 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue May 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Wyc, maybe Gotham.

Brad didn’t have the authority to fire Ime, or even have an opinion on it.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#27 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue May 23, 2023 5:47 pm

fallguy wrote:The Celtics are a mess on basically every front now. This is going to be quite the offseason.

Overreactions left and right. We are semi-finalists. Run it back with a real coach.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#28 » by 165bows » Tue May 23, 2023 5:52 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:Brad may have been perturbed enough to say something basic like "I realize you are frustrated by some calls. I didn't like them either but you have to get back on defense. We have to uphold the professionalism and pride of being a Celtic." I could see Brad saying something like that but then a few players may have aired out their own grievances while chirping back at Stevens/whoever.

Bottom line is the players weren't 100% professional last year against Miami and it led to them being a Jimmy Butler shot away from almost losing the series. This group is still not that close to 100% professional but Miami has more 2 way hustle players playing and are hotter this year and as a result, the Celtics are on the verge of being swept.

Hopefully Brad told them straight up that they embarrassed themselves and looked like ***.

We’ve got the “we didn’t like the coach” stories, only a few days from the “we had a boo-boo” cover pieces dropping after that.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,862

Post#29 » by Larry_Russell » Tue May 23, 2023 6:01 pm

Bye Bye Brad
Bye Bye Joe
Bye Bye Brown

(Still dreaming of adding Dame to the team)

Dame/Brogdon
Smart/White
Tatum/??
??/Grant
Timelord/Horford

Need to find a way to land a PF but we are in that boat either way.

Dame gives us a LEADER, and he can teach tatum that skill a bit. He brings what Brown CANNOT,ball handling, ability to break down defenses, and he spreads them out like no other. Its easy for him.

Smart and Timelord are our defensive cogs.

Surely there is a way to grab an upgrade to grant for the PF spot from somewhere. Seems like a realatively easy position to fill around the league.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,862

Post#30 » by Larry_Russell » Tue May 23, 2023 6:01 pm

165bows wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:Brad may have been perturbed enough to say something basic like "I realize you are frustrated by some calls. I didn't like them either but you have to get back on defense. We have to uphold the professionalism and pride of being a Celtic." I could see Brad saying something like that but then a few players may have aired out their own grievances while chirping back at Stevens/whoever.

Hopefully Brad told them straight up that they embarrassed themselves and looked like ***.

We’ve got the “we didn’t like the coach” stories, only a few days from the “we had a boo-boo” cover pieces dropping after that.

brad would never be confrontational.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,085

Post#31 » by fallguy » Tue May 23, 2023 6:11 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
fallguy wrote:The Celtics are a mess on basically every front now. This is going to be quite the offseason.

Overreactions left and right. We are semi-finalists. Run it back with a real coach.

I'm all for a real coach. God knows.

But feels like all sorts of disconnects with players, coach, GM, owner. Lot of smoke. There's some fire there for sure.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#32 » by chrisab123 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:18 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I don't think hiring Ime was Brad's decision either. His decision was Joe Mazzula and I think he would have been happy with him being the guy instead of Ime. Buckle up folks. As long as Brad is here, Joe will be as well.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#33 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Did the previous two real coaches win a Title?
This will be Coach Number 4 with these blockheads.
After a while, you just have to say, the Core isn't good enough.

So, indeed Joe Must Go, but they need to improve the Core,
and either Smart or Brown must be relocated. And you can
make a strong case that it's time to move on from Horf.
And who can count on Rob for more than 50 or 60 games in a season?

They need your Curry trade...
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,877

Post#34 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue May 23, 2023 6:33 pm

“Exchanging words”?? Could’ve been anything from upcoming Succession finale to pasta recipes to favorite vacation spots post-playoffs-flameout. Come on guys, stop jumping to conclusions. You are all better than this.
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#35 » by sprash9802 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:“Exchanging words”?? Could’ve been anything from upcoming Succession finale to pasta recipes to favorite vacation spots post-playoffs-flameout. Come on guys, stop jumping to conclusions. You are all better than this.

https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/cedric-maxwell-hears-rumors-regarding-game-3-postgame-tension/

Rich: What were these exchanges you said that you heard after the game?

Cedric Maxwell: I just heard that there was just a run-in between people and upper management and with the players. I don’t know any more than that. That’s a rumor that came through, but it didn’t matter about that. But with Wyc and what happened with them, it was more about what the players did on the floor and how they responded.

Rich: Wow, so upper management and the players. You said that there were run-ins between those two that were fairly tough conversations.

Cedric Maxwell: I don’t know. I just heard, just heard. So don’t quote me as ‘That’s what Max said’. No, I didn’t say that. I just heard that people said it was a run-in, that’s all I get out of there. All I say is the focus and the about execution or lack of execution in that game, that was the biggest thing that I took out of that. You know, I did TV that night afterward and it was just hard to do. It was hard for me to look at that camera. At the end of the day, I had a chance just today to see the players and, you know, and just talk to them briefly and talk about the game and, you know, just getting a feel and saying, do you guys could still win this thing. I think that’s what was the biggest point. It was, you know, I’m like, ‘okay, yeah, you lost. you had your ass kicked, but now you have to get up and play. At the end of the day, this is more about courage than anything else. Because the easiest thing this team could do right now is to lay down a rollover and play dead.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,877

Post#36 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue May 23, 2023 6:40 pm

sprash9802 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:“Exchanging words”?? Could’ve been anything from upcoming Succession finale to pasta recipes to favorite vacation spots post-playoffs-flameout. Come on guys, stop jumping to conclusions. You are all better than this.

https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/cedric-maxwell-hears-rumors-regarding-game-3-postgame-tension/

Rich: What were these exchanges you said that you heard after the game?

Cedric Maxwell: I just heard that there was just a run-in between people and upper management and with the players. I don’t know any more than that. That’s a rumor that came through, but it didn’t matter about that. But with Wyc and what happened with them, it was more about what the players did on the floor and how they responded.

Rich: Wow, so upper management and the players. You said that there were run-ins between those two that were fairly tough conversations.

Cedric Maxwell: I don’t know. I just heard, just heard. So don’t quote me as ‘That’s what Max said’. No, I didn’t say that. I just heard that people said it was a run-in, that’s all I get out of there. All I say is the focus and the about execution or lack of execution in that game, that was the biggest thing that I took out of that. You know, I did TV that night afterward and it was just hard to do. It was hard for me to look at that camera. At the end of the day, I had a chance just today to see the players and, you know, and just talk to them briefly and talk about the game and, you know, just getting a feel and saying, do you guys could still win this thing. I think that’s what was the biggest point. It was, you know, I’m like, ‘okay, yeah, you lost. you had your ass kicked, but now you have to get up and play. At the end of the day, this is more about courage than anything else. Because the easiest thing this team could do right now is to lay down a rollover and play dead.

Lol still nothing. It’s just Max and his feelings. My money is still on pasta recipes.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#37 » by Triple7 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:42 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:It's been mentioned that during the 2nd Half of the game, Wyc told Mazzulla to pull the starters and Joe curtly replied,
"I am!" And then pulled the starters. So, perhaps Wyc was involved in the locker room melee...

Looked it up, that was during game 7 in Philly. 4th quarter, Wyc wanted the starters out with the game in hand. Don't think that would carry over to this. If anything it means Mazulla might be more likely to be fired if him and Wyc are going at it in any way

Yup we were up 30, and brown, smart and Rob were still inside with i think 2mins remaining. Joe is stupid. Hope he gets the boot.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Post#38 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:45 pm

It's clearly on the upper management that Jaylen Brown can't hit the side of a barn and has .400 TS%. They can't do Jaylen like this. Zarren and Brad need to be held accountable.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,798

Post#39 » by pac213up » Tue May 23, 2023 7:01 pm

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,433

Post#40 » by shackles10 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Upper management telling the players how terrible they've been. Players telling upper management how terrible Joe has been and how terribly upper management handled getting any coaches to support Joe. Both parties are correct. Also people got heated about pasta recipes and this happens sometimes too.

Return to Boston Celtics