ImageImageImage

Max on 98.5: Players and upper managament exchanging words in Miami

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Re: Max on 98.5: Players and upper managament exchanging words in Miami 

Post#61 » by threrf23 » Fri May 26, 2023 3:09 am

keevsnick1 wrote:Can I just ask..... if the Boston Celtics players HATE each other as much as some media would have us believe then why do they keep winning elimination games? You would think they would have folded down 3-2 to Phili after a humiliating game 5. Or after going down 3-0 to MIA following a humiliating game 3. Instead they come back and play 4 of their best defensive games of the entire year.

It's just very strange behavior for a team full of guys who all hate each other.

Thin line behind love and hate man, once the emotion exists it can swing in either direction.

Not to contradict your point, I thought we got lucky game 6 vs the Sixers, we did come out with good defensive intensity early, but we struggled on offense and played like trash for much of the second half.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,238

Post#62 » by djFan71 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 pm

31to6 wrote:I’m exchanging words with my pants as we speak

Does that make us your pants?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,845

Post#63 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:22 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:Can I just ask..... if the Boston Celtics players HATE each other as much as some media would have us believe then why do they keep winning elimination games? You would think they would have folded down 3-2 to Phili after a humiliating game 5. Or after going down 3-0 to MIA following a humiliating game 3. Instead they come back and play 4 of their best defensive games of the entire year.

It's just very strange behavior for a team full of guys who all hate each other.

They channel their hatred of each other into angry energy. It's reverse chemistry. Brad figured out the new meta.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#64 » by 31to6 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:51 pm

djFan71 wrote:

I'd rather not exchange words with you about that.
Pasta recipes though? Sure.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,024

Post#65 » by exculpatory » Sat May 27, 2023 3:40 pm

31to6 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

I'd rather not exchange words with you about that.
Pasta recipes though? Sure.

Or types of gazpacho soup.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#66 » by return2glory » Sat May 27, 2023 3:47 pm

Because they don't hate each other. You could see that in the 4th quarter of game 3. We were getting blown out. The bench came in at the start of the 4th and we won that quarter, the only quarter in that game we won. What was so important in that quarter? The starters and other players like Blake were cheering for their teammates on the floor. Liking/ each other was not an issue at all in the first 3 games.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,058

Post#67 » by London2Boston » Sat May 27, 2023 5:32 pm

These players don’t hate each other. It’s lazy to make generalisations like that.

Are they too casual, lack focus and easy to get into their minds…sure. But nothing from this group the last years shows they hate each other. We saw the Kyrie and Marcus Morris years here… just compare the two locker rooms.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#68 » by captain green » Sat May 27, 2023 7:58 pm

I personally believe ime should have been fired.
And I also believe the wrong guy mazzy got promoted with players full well wanting Damon.
And part of what I heard was players were upset that ime got fired for less a problem than mazzy had the physical abuse issues. They thought one was worse than the other. Also I believe mazzy slamming that notebook down lost 40% of the players respect.
I also believe losing hardy and Damon took it's toll.
And I also heard players were not happy with Brad at the trade deadline he didn't help his team after wyc told him to go all in and a few players were wanting a trade out that didn't get traded. Either way I thought all that would hurt us at the beginning of the season instead internal problems has came to a head in the ec finals. This team will look way different next year.
Players 25% fault
Coaches including ime 35% fault
Brad and owners 40 %fault
Blame all around only this was a internal combustion and not properly handled by anyone. Sad sad sad
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#69 » by threrf23 » Sat May 27, 2023 11:29 pm

captain green wrote:Blame all around only this was a internal combustion and not properly handled by anyone. Sad sad sad

I'm not sure where you get some of your assumptions (or information) from,

But 2-3 seasons ago I think it was well agreed upon that our team if not our franchise had a culture issue, and that changes were needed.

I'm not sure exactly how much of this was literally said vs thought vs my own projections, but some thought Brad simply needed to hire a tough nosed assistant (or head coach) whom the players would respect, some likely assumed we needed roster changes, and additions to balance out our young'uns, and some likely surmised that covid had taken a toll on everyone, Brad had legit been burnt out as he had claimed, etcetera.

So we went out and hired Ime. Coach aside, one of Brad's first moves was to go out and get Al back, a veteran leader whom players knew and respected and would listen to. DWhite was another intangibles guy we added, and then Brad traded for Brogdon; Brad had previously expressed admiration for Brogdon as a "winner" going back to his days as Butler's coach, IIRC.

I think a lot of people here assumed or hoped that Ime would turn the team culture around, and I really think that Brad surmised that landing Al & Brogdon might patch up issues (and I am sure they have helped in some capacity).

Regardless of how this season ends - they way things have been over the past two games I think he have a legit shot to win a chip - what we have seen this season is that we still have more or less the same culture issue we had when Brad stepped down as coach, or at least had it as of a few games ago. Ime was a bandaid that fell off.

I personally attribute the culture issue to a lack of leadership and accountability, or something to that general effect. Whatever the case, it doesn't excuse the players for their part, it doesn't excuse Ime for his unspecified behavior, but these things happen where organizations lack proper structure, identity, accountability, transparency, whatever. They will presumably continue to happen if we don't make changes this offseason.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#70 » by keevsnick1 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:18 am

return2glory wrote:

Because they don't hate each other. You could see that in the 4th quarter of game 3. We were getting blown out. The bench came in at the start of the 4th and we won that quarter, the only quarter in that game we won. What was so important in that quarter? The starters and other players like Blake were cheering for their teammates on the floor. Liking/ each other was not an issue at all in the first 3 games.

Ya I agree. My post was tongue-in-cheek. Teams that hate each other don't keep trying, they pack it in for cancun.

The mental-toughness/locker room stories are so often used when things go bad, but sometimes a team just plays badly or gets beat without it being some weird emotional story.

C's played badly first three games, lost. they played better last 3, won. Won or lose game 7 they don't hate other and aren't mentally weak.

Return to Boston Celtics