ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Memokerobi
Rookie
And1: 2,316

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Acquired for Rob W, Brogdon, Picks) 

Post#501 » by Memokerobi » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:16 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Very good article on Holiday's contract situation. Including quotes/throughts from Jrue himself on his future.
Read on Twitter

TIL I learned he and his wife (professional soccer player) spent some time in Boston while they were still dating back in 2010-11.

Spoiler:
Wish we could get him at something around $40M/next 2 years guaranteed after the upcoming year (PO exercised) then partial guarantee on 3rd year.

Think we extend him for 4 years. Hopefully he takes a discount and maybe agrees to something like 4 Yrs/120-140M that could potentially take us below the 2nd apron to begin the offseason (because the cap charge will be lower than his average salary).

My guess is he gets traded during his 3rd or 4th year as we transition into our 2nd contention window (Knock on wood)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,920

Post#502 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:24 pm

Memokerobi wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Very good article on Holiday's contract situation. Including quotes/throughts from Jrue himself on his future.
Read on Twitter

TIL I learned he and his wife (professional soccer player) spent some time in Boston while they were still dating back in 2010-11.

Spoiler:
Wish we could get him at something around $40M/next 2 years guaranteed after the upcoming year (PO exercised) then partial guarantee on 3rd year.

Think we extend him for 4 years. Hopefully he takes a discount and maybe agrees to something like 4 Yrs/120-140M that could potentially take us below the 2nd apron to begin the offseason (because the cap charge will be lower than his average salary).

My guess is he gets traded during his 3rd or 4th year as we transition into our 2nd contention window (Knock on wood)

If he agrees to an extension, the player option of $39.4M for next season is automatically exercised. Cs can tack on a max of four more years on top of next year. I highly doubt we avoid the second apron this summer.
Memokerobi
Rookie
And1: 2,316

Post#503 » by Memokerobi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Memokerobi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

If he agrees to an extension, the player option of $39.4M for next season is automatically exercised. Cs can tack on a max of four more years on top of next year. I highly doubt we avoid the second apron this summer.

Was not aware of this, thanks
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#504 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:38 am

Read on Twitter
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#505 » by chrisab123 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm

Sign Jrue as soon as possible. He's been great here.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#506 » by 31to6 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:56 pm

Jrue has been awesome. Total alpha willing to play a supporting role with (as far as we know) nothing but the team's best interest in mind. Gives the team what it needs, really steadily (I tried to write a comparison to Marcus here that didn't sound like slander and couldn't do it, so will just leave it at that). I can't remember hearing much of anything said by him or about him all season, so I guess he's doing good in the locker room and with the media? Feels like a story that will be told more if/when they win a title.

TLDR: yay Jrue
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#507 » by 165bows » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:17 pm

31to6 wrote:Jrue has been awesome. Total alpha willing to play a supporting role with (as far as we know) nothing but the team's best interest in mind. Gives the team what it needs, really steadily (I tried to write a comparison to Marcus here that didn't sound like slander and couldn't do it, so will just leave it at that). I can't remember hearing much of anything said by him or about him all season, so I guess he's doing good in the locker room and with the media? Feels like a story that will be told more if/when they win a title.

TLDR: yay Jrue

Plus his “just somebody that I used to know” vibes towards Milwaukee is pretty damn hilarious.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#508 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 pm

Just continuing the discussion here so as not to clog the pinned thread.

Spoiler:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Makes sense. Not sure what number would satisfy both parties though. If for example it’s 100M for 4 yrs, Jrue would have to think he won’t get more than 64M for 3 yrs starting at age 35 if he opts in.

Not saying he deserved it but Lowry did sign 85M/3 yrs in the S&T w/ Miami at age 35 when cap was still lower. That’s a ton of money to forgo if I’m Jrue and I think I could do as well (or better) in open market.

EDIT: Jrue is at 39.4M (incl. likely incentives) next season. So he's betting he could get more than 60.5M if he opts in and becomes FA in 2025. That's a safe bet.

I don't think its a safe bet at all. Players in their mid thirties have precipitous drops all the time, if he opts in next year but gets injured, or declines, he may very well be leaving money on the table long term. That's a HUGE risk at age 34.

But even if he could get more money opting in, is he going to get it from a team that's a title favorite? I doubt it.

I think given the second apron either he's back at a reasonable number or he's not on the team next year. If he opted into that 39 million its more likely he gets traded then he's on the celtics next year.

That's why I think he's opting in and extending. (Well, extending which implies player option is exercised.) That was my assumption all along. As with the Cs not being able to avoid the second apron. The way Brad talked post-trade deadline, he's anticipating it actually.

Holiday, if he opts out, might be a top 3 free agent in the summer. Siakam and OG staying with their new teams pretty much a done deal. Three competitive teams that might have interest/need and could get cap space -- OKC, ORL, and PHI.

So if Cs can't come to Jrue with a number he's satisfied with in an opt-out-and-re-sign scenario, he can just sign elsewhere. Most likely scenario for me is he extends for another 3 years at around 80M. (So that amounts to 120M/4 yrs which he can get in the open market.)
ryan in Maine
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,515

Post#509 » by ryan in Maine » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 pm

Jrue is going to be healthy going into the Playoffs. He could be our 3rd or 4th, even our 2nd option on a given night.

It's really starting to sink in just how good we're going to be going into the EC Finals.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#510 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 am

Read on Twitter

Just carry over that shooting and defense into postseason, sign a cheapo extension, and we’re square.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,103

Post#511 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:46 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just carry over that shooting and defense into postseason, sign a cheapo extension, and we’re square.

SWIMMERS UNITED :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#512 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:44 am

Read on Twitter

Please keep Jrue beyond this season. You know what to do, SBOBO Brad.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#513 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:00 pm

That W-L graphic they showed on ABC the other thing was crazy. I know he's been playing with Giannis and the Celtics but still, those Bucks teams' W-L were much better with him than without.

The biggest knock on him was that he choked shooting-wise in the playoffs. I'm not really concerned given that he's literally our 5th weapon.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,883

Post#514 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:38 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:That W-L graphic they showed on ABC the other thing was crazy. I know he's been playing with Giannis and the Celtics but still, those Bucks teams' W-L were much better with him than without.

The biggest knock on him was that he choked shooting-wise in the playoffs. I'm not really concerned given that he's literally our 5th weapon.

W-L with or without X player is useful for seasons predating play-by-play data but we don't need that for Jrue. Jrue was in the 91st, 96th and 97th percentile for on/off in his 3 Bucks seasons.
In 2020-21, the Bucks were +5.1 with Jrue on, Giannis off, +5.5 with Giannis on, Jrue off.
In 2021-22, +6.2 with Jrue on, Giannis off, and +4.7 with Giannis on, Jrue off.
In 2022-23, +4.8 with Jrue on, Giannis off, and -1.3 with Giannis on, Jrue off.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#515 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:45 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:That W-L graphic they showed on ABC the other thing was crazy. I know he's been playing with Giannis and the Celtics but still, those Bucks teams' W-L were much better with him than without.

W-L with or without X player is useful for seasons predating play-by-play data but we don't need that for Jrue. Jrue was in the 91st, 96th and 97th percentile for on/off in his 3 Bucks seasons.
In 2020-21, the Bucks were +5.1 with Jrue on, Giannis off, +5.5 with Giannis on, Jrue off.

I think they're both helpful. Using on-off to compare players doesn't always tell the story because it depends who else is on the floor. That's not to say those aren't really interesting and telling stats, because they are!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#516 » by 31to6 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:35 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

ThE bUckS tRaDEd tHe wRoNg GuY! :reporter:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 788

Post#517 » by doogie_hauser » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:07 am

I have my heart in my mouth sometimes when Jrue shoots for 3 (although he has been really better of late) but got no qualms or problems with him other than that

A true side before self type of player/glue, a somewhat better/more dynamic version of James Posey in our 08 championship team.

Our owners (least from afar in Australia) don't seem to be penny pinchers/go over the luxury tax/apron strings in order to get our long converted 18th ring.

I am very optimistic we will look after him and re-sign him.

You have to watch every game really in order to process Jrue's fundamentals and street Smarts, I love Marcus Smart, but clearly Jrue and Buffalo have much more on court synergy and chemistry that has helped evolve Derrick into an all star calibre player this season.

He is durable, selfless and got a very healthy ego and mindset. I want Jrue with us until he retires.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#518 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:08 am

Fun interview w/ a little crunch.

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/jrue-holiday-amazed-by-derrick-whites-defensive-ability/590938/

The defensive stuff is mainly covered in the article. The rest is only in the video.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#519 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#520 » by Parliament10 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:10 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's a hell of a USA Team shaping up.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics