ImageImageImage

Buyout/Free Agent Thread, 2023-24

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Re: Buyout/Free Agent Thread, 2023-24 

Post#1901 » by Dogen » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:56 am

doogie_hauser wrote:
Dogen wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:Musca back would be nice, but suspect he will go to a team/contender likely to give him more minutes aka Bucks, Cavs or Heat.

If he takes the final roster spot over Queta, I'd rather have Muscala getting minutes than Kornet, if only due to the extra shooting.

Porzingis, Horford, Tillman, and Muscala gives the team overall decent shooting at the center position.

Kornet has actually (to my surprise) really earned and deserved his minutes this season

Feel like it wouldn't be the best thing for the culture and morale amongst the playing group if we discarded Kornet for really only a minor upgrade in Muscula.

He does seem very popular amongst the playing group. Very loathe to do any moves that upsets our team chemistry.

Good point. Maybe I take Kornet for granted. If Moose is fifth in the pecking order, then maybe you're right he'll go to another team.

If he liked being with the Celtics and wants a legit shot at a ring, his shooting will allow him to spell KP during the regular season, so he'd be a decent addition if he's OK with very limited playing time. I thought he was a nice guy to have on the team, another vet like Blake. One of those two would be fine if willing and able.
Hey you! Can we come together?
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,057

Post#1902 » by exculpatory » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:41 am

Dogen wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:
Dogen wrote:
If he takes the final roster spot over Queta, I'd rather have Muscala getting minutes than Kornet, if only due to the extra shooting.

Porzingis, Horford, Tillman, and Muscala gives the team overall decent shooting at the center position.

Kornet has actually (to my surprise) really earned and deserved his minutes this season

Feel like it wouldn't be the best thing for the culture and morale amongst the playing group if we discarded Kornet for really only a minor upgrade in Muscula.

He does seem very popular amongst the playing group. Very loathe to do any moves that upsets our team chemistry.

Good point. Maybe I take Kornet for granted. If Moose is fifth in the pecking order, then maybe you're right he'll go to another team.

If he liked being with the Celtics and wants a legit shot at a ring, his shooting will allow him to spell KP during the regular season, so he'd be a decent addition if he's OK with very limited playing time. I thought he was a nice guy to have on the team, another vet like Blake. One of those two would be fine if willing and able.

Forgive my ignorance on this.

No room for Muscala unless we let someone go?
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,686

Post#1903 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:42 am

exculpatory wrote:
Dogen wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:

We only have 14 on our main roster, so have a space free.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,005

Post#1904 » by doogie_hauser » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
Dogen wrote:

As long as we can keep Queta and Kornet on our playoff roster., I would sign Muscala if only to keep him away from one of our conference rivals :)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#1905 » by Dogen » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:45 am

doogie_hauser wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

As long as we can keep Queta and Kornet on our playoff roster., I would sign Muscala if only to keep him away from one of our conference rivals :)

In order for Queta to qulify for the playoff roster, he'd need to sign a regular contract instead of the 2-Way he's currently on, thus taking that available 15th roster spot.

So it would be Kornet plus either Queta or Muscala. As much as I like Queta, for this year I think an established vet is the wiser choice.

And I agree that getting a serviceable vet can block an opponent. It seems that a lot of conference rivals are stacking up some vets on the bench: Bogdanovic/Burks in NY, Gallo/Beverley in Milwaukee, Lowry and a bunch of guys in Philly.

The Celtics are a bit light on more experienced bench players. I've been hoping Cedi Osman becomes available, but Muscala is a decent option considering what's left at this point.
Hey you! Can we come together?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,576

Post#1906 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Dogen wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Makes sense.

Dude was picked 4 spots ahead of Tyrese Maxey. Not one of Presti's best moments, but at the time Poku was seen as high potential. He could still end up a decent find. Nice get for Hornets as they rebuild a roster.

No one drafts perfect but he's had a few stinkers. Poku, trading multiple picks to take Dieng. Giddey I think doesn't end up panning out in the long run imo, either.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1907 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:47 pm

What happened to Muscala's shooting? It totally cratered this year.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,327

Post#1908 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:11 pm

165bows wrote:What happened to Muscala's shooting? It totally cratered this year.

That's what happens when you play on the Pistons and Wizards. Not an accident that Porzingis numbers are better because of the quality of shots he is getting. I suspect Muscala would be the same or anyone else for that matter.
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#1909 » by JaMarco » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:10 pm

They definitely should bring Muscala back.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1910 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
165bows wrote:What happened to Muscala's shooting? It totally cratered this year.

That's what happens when you play on the Pistons and Wizards. Not an accident that Porzingis numbers are better because of the quality of shots he is getting. I suspect Muscala would be the same or anyone else for that matter.

Sure but he was a well above average efficiency guy on the worst offense in the league one year with Okc.

I get that team quality makes a difference, and luck/variance is a thing as well, but this year was a massive outlier for him in a negative direction so just wondering if he's hurt or washed up or something.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,115

Post#1911 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:41 pm

JaMarco wrote:They definitely should bring Muscala back.

What for? Tillman, a better player that we gave up assets for, can't get on the floor right now. Muscala, if picked up for free, would be behind both Kornet and Tillman...and of course Horford, Porzingis, Tatum, maybe Brisset, at the 4 and 5 spots.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#1912 » by playa-hater » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:54 pm

I liked Muscala last season as a pickup. B7y clearly Joe did not. didn't even play regularly last regular season and not at all in the postseason. Boston is deeper than ever at Big. After KP and AL, I would put all 3 of X Tillman/Kornet/Queta in before him. So no need at all for a Big I actually do like.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#1913 » by JaMarco » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:58 pm

I like Muscala because he can shoot the 3 unlike all the other reserve bigs, so they don't have to give up their elite spacing advantage when he's in the game. But you have a point that Mazzula didn't seem to care for him last year.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,706

Post#1914 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:59 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:Musca back would be nice, but suspect he will go to a team/contender likely to give him more minutes aka Bucks, Cavs or Heat.

OKC makes the most sense since he played there and they need a backup C. Them or Philly
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,488

Post#1915 » by brackdan70 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:06 pm

I don’t see why we would want Muscala. I’d rather play Kornet and Tillman and even Queta over him.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1916 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:09 pm

playa-hater wrote:I liked Muscala last season as a pickup. B7y clearly Joe did not. didn't even play regularly last regular season and not at all in the postseason. Boston is deeper than ever at Big. After KP and AL, I would put all 3 of X Tillman/Kornet/Queta in before him. So no need at all for a Big I actually do like.

Didn't he hurt his ankle or something? He really only played after the first few weeks when it was a clear necessity, if someone else was available he never got on.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1917 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:11 pm

I liked Muscala but I think I'd prefer Porter Jr for this team.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1918 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:07 pm

165bows wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Sure but he was a well above average efficiency guy on the worst offense in the league one year with Okc.

I get that team quality makes a difference, and luck/variance is a thing as well, but this year was a massive outlier for him in a negative direction so just wondering if he's hurt or washed up or something.

Could be a slump. He's shooting 38 percent since he came to the Pistons. Washington could be anything - shot quality, not getting his spots on the floor, sometimes smart offensive players struggle on bad young teams when an offense is run badly..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1919 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Muscala to OKC would be a nice story.

What happened to Gallo?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,488

Post#1920 » by brackdan70 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:47 pm

My preferences on what to do with the 15th spot
1. Queta
2. OPJ
3. Leave it open
4. Sign some guy off the radar that Stevens has been watching for years.
5. Blake
6. Muscala or Gallinari or some other washed up vet
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics