ImageImageImage

Would you hang #5 & #20 up on the rafters if

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

#5 and # 20 up on the rafters?

Only if they win #17.
35%
One is not enough. Need at least 2 titles in the next 5 years.
30%
Three or more titles required.
11%
Three or more titles required.
11%
As long as they play 4-5 prolific seasons for us and we contend, no title is necessary.
7%
I would NOT retire their numbers under any circumstances because we just can't afford to.
7%

Total votes: 57

cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#21 » by cisco » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:18 pm

#34 goes up first. He's put all his sweat and tears into the Cs his whole career, through the good and bad years.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,261

Post#22 » by shackles10 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:21 pm

Yea, I dont' think these get all retired at the same time if they do all end up going in the rafters. I'm certainly not saying he's at Bird's level, but everyone remembers how his number went up first, and Paul would be a similar thing. The Big 3 are all up there, but McHale and Parrish came later.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#23 » by threrf23 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:38 pm

One is not enough, IMO
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#24 » by cisco » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:06 am

threrf23 wrote:One is not enough, IMO

Maybe not for KG or Ray, but it is enough for Pierce. His number might be retired whether they win one or not though, because of his great play and years of service with the Cs.
pierced
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by pierced » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:08 am

DJ played 7yrs for the Celts.. And he helped the team win 2 titles.. His # should be retired.. IDK about KG and Ray.. If they play here for the rest of their careers which I think has some 5-7 yrs left and win 3 or more rings then their #'s should be retired..
CELTIC PRIDE
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#26 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:53 am

Only if they won at least one more title and they both play superbly for at least 4 years. If the C's win two titles, their play does not have to be as good for as long. After all Tiny Archibald's number wasn't retired and he played well and won an NBA championship.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#27 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:18 am

I wouldn't unless they play at least 7 years here. And that ain't happening. Championships are team awards, hanging your number in the rafters is an individual thing so I wouldn't weigh championships heavily. Pierce is the only guy who will get his number up there. Well, hopefully Rondo as well.

Obviously this isn't the way it has been done in the past with guys like KC Jones and Satch Sanders having their numbers in the rafters and a guy like Ed Macauley not being up there. Too championship driven in my eyes. Ed Macauley was vastly superior as a Celtic compared to Sanders or Jones.

KC Jones wasn't even as good as Dee Brown and I don't think you'll hear too many people clamoring for Dee Brown to have number 7 up in the rafters.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#28 » by shackles10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:33 am

Why would they have to win 3 or more rings and finish their careers here to get up there but DJ is deserving for his 7 years and only 2 rings? He deserves it no question, but not sure how that is very consistent. Not to take anything away from DJ either but this is 2/3's of this team's "big 3", DJ was not a part of that Big 3 even though he was great and very important to their success.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,115

Post#29 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:56 am

The rules are a little different now. Nobody can compete with the rate of championships achieved by most of the guys whose numbers are retired.

KG's impact on the Celtics is the biggest since Bird was drafted. If we win a championship with him and he finishes his career in Boston, there's no way his number won't be retired. I think it's fair to say he's the 3rd best player ever to wear a Celtics uniform.

Just like a lot of the guys with retired numbers piggybacked off Russell, so too could Ray off KG. If we win a title and KG gets his number retired, and Allen stays with Boston as long as KG does, he might make it as well. But I do think it'd have to be at least 5 years in green, for both of them.

#34 will never be worn by another player. Nor should it be.
John Locke
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#30 » by John Locke » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:23 pm

For me, seeing how the Celtics are back on the top, is enough to retire everybody's number on the team, haha...

But really, I do think that if KG plays here for maybe 5 years he'll get his number retired, just for having such an impact.

I don't know about Allen though. He is one of my favorite players, but still...
No1CeltsFan
Sophomore

Tough one 

Post#31 » by No1CeltsFan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:15 pm

This is such a tough topic for real. I have had many convo's with friends and with random fans who have sat next to me at games this season.

To me I think they have to win a title for their number to be considered even being retired, at the LEAST. To me, one title by itself doesn't justify it.

I would say a title, another trip to the finals, of course also more than just winning seasons in the next 3-4 years. In all of the next for years, they have to be contenders. Not just contenders, serious one at that. Of course they have to put up solid individual numbers too.
Paul Pierce said it best about Caron Butler and the AS 2007 Game:

"Caron Butler should send me flowers for being injured so he could make the All-Star game, because if I was healthy, he wouldnā€™t be in there.ā€
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#32 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:37 pm

ONLY if they win a championship
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
pierced
Junior

Post#33 » by pierced » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:45 pm

No way is KG the 3rd best player in Celtics history.. DJ played 7 yrs for the C's and won 2 titles and lost 2.. Got deep in the playoffs.. KG and RA are very good players, they got good years from their previous team.. KG's # will be retired in Minny IDK about RA in MIL or SEA.. They should win at least 2 rings and go deep into the playoffs every year so people remember them as Celtic players..
CELTIC PRIDE
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,223

Re: Would you hang #5 & #20 up on the rafters if 

Post#34 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 pm

Well. Kevin Garnett did, in fact, get his #5 Retired.
I don't think that Ray Allen stuck with us long enough. And leaving us for Miami, still hurts.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Re: 

Post#35 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:20 pm

This was an odd comment, because McCauley's number was retired in 1963.

Indeed, he's the answer to a trivia question I posed on the GB: Who is the only Celtic player to have his number retired that Tommy didn't engage with either as his teammate, his coach, or as a broadcaster of his games?

Bleeding Green wrote:I wouldn't unless they play at least 7 years here. And that ain't happening. Championships are team awards, hanging your number in the rafters is an individual thing so I wouldn't weigh championships heavily. Pierce is the only guy who will get his number up there. Well, hopefully Rondo as well.

Obviously this isn't the way it has been done in the past with guys like KC Jones and Satch Sanders having their numbers in the rafters and a guy like Ed Macauley not being up there. Too championship driven in my eyes. Ed Macauley was vastly superior as a Celtic compared to Sanders or Jones.

KC Jones wasn't even as good as Dee Brown and I don't think you'll hear too many people clamoring for Dee Brown to have number 7 up in the rafters.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Would you hang #5 & #20 up on the rafters if 

Post#36 » by shackles10 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:26 pm

Ah the old days before kids when I posted ALL the timeā€¦
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Re: 

Post#37 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:16 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:This was an odd comment, because McCauley's number was retired in 1963.

Indeed, he's the answer to a trivia question I posed on the GB: Who is the only Celtic player to have his number retired that Tommy didn't engage with either as his teammate, his coach, or as a broadcaster of his games?

Bleeding Green wrote:I wouldn't unless they play at least 7 years here. And that ain't happening. Championships are team awards, hanging your number in the rafters is an individual thing so I wouldn't weigh championships heavily. Pierce is the only guy who will get his number up there. Well, hopefully Rondo as well.

Fair enough, missed it somehow. Glad to have my memory fixed 14 years later.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics