ImageImageImage

Odom suspended 1 game without pay

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#21 » by theman » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:25 pm

I only saw a clip of the tackle once on sport tonight or whatever the new comcast show is called. It looked very bad to me.

How many games did Carmello get last year for trying to punch Nate Robinson? Odom's looked a lot worse.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#22 » by JJHondo17 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:44 pm

I thought two games would have been appropriate, one game just doesn't seem like enough.
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#23 » by DorfonCeltics » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:05 pm

JJHondo17 wrote:I thought two games would have been appropriate, one game just doesn't seem like enough.

I have to agree here. I think 2 or even 3 games would have been more appropriate especially considering what Kobe got last year for his little arm flails.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#24 » by theman » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:14 pm

Mardy Collins was suspended 6 games for putting J.R. Smith in a head lock and taking him to the floor in a game last season. That is the template that should have been used here. Collins move led to a fight. Odom's did not, but I think that is only because Ray Allen is a classier player than J.R. Smith.

If Collins got 6 games, Odom should have as well.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
coach mang
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,401

Post#25 » by coach mang » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:35 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:Odom's real punishment is that he goes home and knows he's a loser, that the Lakers are losers. It is a punishment we delivered before the tackle.

One game is plenty. A loser's worst punishment is the mirror. We won't see them again this year. The team psche has been destroyed.

amen brother LTF.

we let them surivive. what could be a worse punishment than that?

mang LOVES that Odom went batty for a second. We **** them up so bad that the sista just plum lost her mind. mang like that. too bad we don't play them again this season. we have so many other ways to make them taste losing

having said that one game is a joke

mangIna used to make bitches like lamar parade around the village bare coochie. then we chain lamar to a dirty mattress on the other side of the village and then we get into some real heart of darkness ****.

lamar, have ye ever tasted a medusa of mangacondas in the pale moonlight?
TheCelticsMan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#26 » by TheCelticsMan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:38 pm

It's better than nothing, obviously Stern would have issued a much more harsh penalty if Ray had been injured in any way.
GREEN #17.... K PERK
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#27 » by armageddon » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:42 pm

Stern's a pussy. If this was a player on a lower profile team the suspension would have been greater. This was worthy of at least a week. Now every team knows they can send in their thug and tackle a player. If you use the 280 pound guy sitting on the bench making $250,000 per year and send him in to tackle Rondo hard into the floor, the team could pick up the measly $3,000, one game, fine. Rondo would spend the rest of the season on the IR.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#28 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:48 pm

Laker fan here, I'm not going to try and defend what Lamar did because bottom line is you can't. Yes he was frustrated for one that KG threw his shot and two we was flat out getting dealt with.

But that does not give him the right to "bull doze" Ray or any other player like that. I'm not going to say weather the one game was fair or not, but usually the league punishes a guy based solely on his past or weather or not his name has come across Stu Jackson's desk before.

All I knew was that he was going to be suspended, weather it was 1 game or more I expected it. But once again the league can't be consistent in their rulings. Kobe got nailed twice for "none basketball acts" as Jackson put it which many of us could debate. In both cases the players said they didn't think Kobe had any intent to hurt them and wasn't taking anything personal, which you thought would have help the league in their penalty phase but it didn't.

I guess what we have to ask our selves is there any precedents set on how to penalize players, I personally don't think it is because every time something happens it's a different penalty each time.

To me it just seems like they go by who the player is and if he has a past history.

BTW some players on the Lakers did ask Ray if he was ok, which goes to show you even they knew it was BS.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#29 » by Gerald3Wallace » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:52 pm

who in the damn right mind would tackle "jesus"?

he deserves a lifetime ban if u ask me
PHXfan85
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#30 » by PHXfan85 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:20 pm

Hmmm, this is by far worse than the Horry check on Nash and less of a punishment? Where are all the suspensions being handed out for players leaving the bench? Silly NBA...

Tenacious Spur wrote:Suns did the correct thing letting him go. How they spended their money is the money.

That's money.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#31 » by campybatman » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:35 pm

I don't understand what exactly are the Lakers franchise in disagreement with by the league's decision levied against Odom. Why? Because the charge was changed to a flagrant two penalty.

"We're disappointed," Lakers spokesman John Black said. "We don't think he would do anything to ever intentionally harm another player. We're going to be missing one of our best players for Friday's game, but the league made its decision and we will accept it, even if we disagree with it." Los Angeles Times

Return to Boston Celtics