ImageImageImage

Some 2008 Unrestricted Free Agents to Look Forward To

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Some 2008 Unrestricted Free Agents to Look Forward To 

Post#1 » by Jammer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:32 am

Just mentioning 4 guys who will be on the market this summer.

They may factor into Danny's plans.

3 are centers, one is a point guard.

The Celtics need to hope James Posey exercises his option for next season, re-sign unrestricted free agents Eddie House and Scot Pollard, and make a qualifying offer of $2.8 million for one year to Tony Allen to give them the right to match any offer that Tony gets.

If they can do that, without dipping into the MLE or LLE; then they can use the MLE or LLE for the following unrestricted free agents.

Jake Voskuhl - age 30, current salary $ 3 million in Milwaukee

Brian Skinner - age 31, current salary $770,000 in Phoenix

Kurt Thomas - age 35, current salary $8 million in Seattle

Chris Duhon - age 27, current salary $3.2 million in Chicago

I suspect that since Jake Voskuhl went to UCONN (2000) like Ray Allen, and since Jake Voskuhl has the same agent as James Posey and Eddie House; that the Celtics should have a good shot at him. I think one of the reasons that Milwaukee signed Voskuhl over the summer was that even though Milwaukee had Bogut, Gadzuric and Villanueva; they weren't sure if Yi would show up.

As far as another guard (ball handler or wing player who can defend and shoot the rock) will be obtained with the probable Celtics # 30 pick, which they may try to move up with by offering Powe or Davis with the #30 pick to try to move up a few spots this spring.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#2 » by Datruth345 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:40 am

none of those options are attractive to me

Jake Voshkul and Brian Skinner are bums

Kurt Thomas is serviceable....and 35

Duhon is the only one i would consider

but at that time, i hope that Pruitt would be able to do everything he can
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
LarryLegend
Lead Assistant
And1: 43

Post#3 » by LarryLegend » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:44 am

For what Kurt Thomas might cost and his skill set, he'd be a great fit. Being a Duke fan I've watched a lot of Duhon, but I think the C's can do better for a backup PG behind Rondo than Duhon.
CelticsStuffLive.com, Sundays at Nine!
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#4 » by humblebum » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:49 am

Why, if you resign Scott Pollard, would you go out and sign Jake Voshkul (damn thats a tough name to spell)?

If Jake is willing to sign for the vets min then sure I'll take him over Pollard. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

As far as the other names on the list I think that either they won't end up here or that their not what we need.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#5 » by Jammer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:16 am

humblebum wrote:Why, if you resign Scott Pollard, would you go out and sign Jake Voshkul (damn thats a tough name to spell)?

If Jake is willing to sign for the vets min then sure I'll take him over Pollard. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

As far as the other names on the list I think that either they won't end up here or that their not what we need.

The reason, humblesir, that the Celtics would sign a third Big is to have a true third center who can bang should anything (Heaven Forbid) happen to Perk or Scot Pollard.

Garnett doesn't want to play center, but will for say, 12 minutes per game, if necessary. Doc often does that at the end of games when he inserts James Posey at PF, with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen; and one of Rondo, House or Tony Allen at PG.

But in the long run, a third true center provides insurance in case anything happens to Perk or Scot Pollard.

So, that's why I would, and I think that Danny will, try to sign a third center.

Voskuhl is offensively challenged, but otherwise a decent defender of the paint, and a decent post defender. He's also not as light as he was when he came out of UCONN, so he can now bang a little with the heavy weights like Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph, who would provide where and tear that KG simply doesn't need, and shouldn't, endure. It can be avoided.

Agree that Thomas is the best of the group, but he will command the highest price, and the Celtics will be in the lux tax.

Voskuhl probably won't cost more than $3 million per, Milwaukee was desperate at the time with the uncertainty around Yi.

Skinner is having his best year ever, but has been with something like 7 or 8 teams in 9 years, so I'm somewhat leary of the journeyman. Although he's playing great right now.

I agree that Pruitt has a better shot than Duhon. What we don't know is if Pruitt can protect the ball, and be an on ball defender, as well as Duhon.
Even if so, I still think that the Celtics would like to use their probable # 30 pick on a guard this spring, and probably will try to move up 5 to 7 spots by offering Powe or Davis with the 30 pick.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#6 » by humblebum » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:30 am

OK Jammer-mahn... I understand your logic on the 3rd center thing but my issue is that Pollard and Voskuhl are TOO similar. One duplicates the other IMO and all you end up doing is tying up roster space into two guys who are nothing special. If your going to spend around 4 million dollars between those two I'd rather look at a Desagna Diop for their combined money and hope that Glen Davis can become that solid 3-4th big out there.

I do like Pollard for the Vet's min though... at least this season. Let's see if we still think so by the end of the season and post season.

Duhon is just a so so player to me. Nothing to really write home about. I haven't looked into the other options at backup PG but he's not someone I'm particularly interested in.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#7 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:35 am

I thinks our 3rd Center hopefully will be a senior who slips in the draft.

And we'll go after a back-up PG.

All depends if House,Pollard,Posey want to resign.

and if we want or TA wants to re-sign. If TA is any factor at all I'm sure we won't resign him for some team will throw him half MLE.

I wish Webber would sign with us.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#8 » by humblebum » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:57 am

In the offseason I'd probably be looking at Beno Udrih and Anthony Johnson at the PG spot. I'd take both of those guys over Duhon.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#9 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:19 am

Vokshul is poop. He is a deep, deep bench player on the Bucks. Skinner at least can block shots and grab rebounds.

Return to Boston Celtics