ImageImageImage

OT: Comcast vs. Direct TV -- (Updated 03-15-20) vs Legal Internet Options?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#21 » by canman1971 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:38 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:Sorry for being the Washington Wizards guy bogarting on this thread.

But to the OP. If you're sure you're gonna switch to DirecTV - WAIT!

(I have DirecTV and love it).

DON"T switch until you have one of the guys here on your board "refer" you to DirecTV. They have a promotion where both the referer and YOU get $50, you get upgraded installation and a free DVR.

Here is a link click here for referral program.

My advice is for you to pick one of the posters here who has directv and have him refer you in this program. Otherwise, both of you guys are throwing $50 out the window for nothing.

Pine

Anybody want to refer me? Let me know. I give you my email.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#22 » by threrf23 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:39 am

Gator Mike wrote:As for other reasons not to switch, DirecTV still doesn't offer any sort of reasonable Video On Demand offering. And again later this year, Comcast is also going to adopt a technology dubbed "Start Over" where customers without DVRs are going to be able to join a show in progress and then decide to start it from the beginning.

IMO, cable will have a huge advantage in the future over satellite because they'll be able to implement two-way communications much easier, and they'll be able to tie multiple services together without having to rely on a phone line or an internet connection.

Who needs VOD if you've got a TiVo or DVR? "start over" isn't a new technology its just a new integration of VOD.

Anyways, IMO, in the future its all going to shift to streaming media over internet protocol, so in that sense I agree with you. I am curious to see exactly what happens with "internet broadcasting" though. The only thing that really has held it back has been blackout type restrictions. THe drawback is that there is no reliable way of verifying a computer's location.

As mobile i.e. cellular internet access becomes faster and faster though, this changes everything - because the connecting device is GPS enabled and pings off cell towers anyway. Data feeds can be sent solely to cellular devices which can govern what can and can't be viewed thru communications with a cell tower. I have for awhile envisioned cable being offered through portable cellular devices, that have a/v and component outputs and what not, and possibly have screens as well. I believe that becomes the way cable/satellite tv is distributed 10 years from now, and in this event services designed for communication over physical wire, will become useless (in the mean time, DirecTv has been working on its VOD offerings anyway, even if it remains behind in that area).

I'm not sure if FCC regulations allow for certain content to be broadcast via IP protocol in any situation, but if thats the case I'm sure it will change. Sprint/Verizon/AT&T have developed mobile television services, but those companies still treat it as a simple add on to cellular services, and they refrain from really branding the services separately. DirecTv has taken some steps I believe to make its satellite signal more portable, but I have been surprised that they haven't tried to form a partnership with any of the major wireles carriers (assuming they haven't). Cox has a partnership with Sprint, but it has nothing to do with offerng Cox services over Sprint's network, nor is it advertised.

There's a large market opprtunity there IMO looking 5-10+ years down the line, and I'm surprised these companies haven't done more to help try and secure a first mover advantage
threrf23
RealGM

Post#23 » by threrf23 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:41 am

CanMan, I can refer you...others here can too obviously. We should have some kind of contest. PineApple gets props for thinking enough to point that out.
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Rondo_Fan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:57 am

I had Direct TV for a number of years. I liked it for the most part, but I had problems with the reception from time to time. It would go out for a few minutes with really heavy thunderstorms, or sometimes when it snowed the snow would build up inside the dish and I would have to sweep or hose it out to get the reception back. But all in all I had no complaints. I bought it when I lived outside of the area, just to get the basketball and baseball packages to follow the Cs and the Red Sox. I have Comcast now but I'm not really happy with them. I might switch back.

If you don't mind tinkering, a good alternative to Tivo and DVRs is MythTV. I use it and it has all the functionality of a computer in addition to the PVR capabilities. If you have an old computer lying around, you can set it up for the price of a tuner card that does the mpeg encoding for you. My system cost my roughly $100 to set up, given that I had an old computer lying around in the closet (Celeron 1800, 370 MB ram, which is enough for MythTv with a tuner that does mpeg encoding). And there is no monthly subscription fee. You pay only $20 a year for the TV listings from a place called SchedulesDirect.org. The install can be tough, so you definitely have to be willing to stick with some tinkering to get it done. But it's a blast to use once you're done.

Yabba-dabba-doo!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#25 » by canman1971 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:39 am

threrf23 wrote:CanMan, I can refer you...others here can too obviously. We should have some kind of contest. PineApple gets props for thinking enough to point that out.

That would be great. Not sure what kind of contest we could have, but I am open for anything. Also, this woman is calling me on Monday to set things up. Not sure if that matters. Thanks again to all.
thefoulness
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#26 » by thefoulness » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:44 am

Direct TV with Tivo, rocks!

Direct TV's DVR freaking sucks horribly and I hate it.

Dish Network's DVR rocks!

I like Direct TV except for the garbage DVR, plus they have screwed me repeatedly by extending my committment when I didn't want it to be extended, basically **** me in the ass on that ****.

But cable sucks too....

For me, it's all about which DVR works the best, and some cable companies have good DVR's.....Direct TV's sucks though, it's horrible...
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,944

Post#27 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:16 pm

This seems like a relevant Thread to bring back.

Where are we now with the whole TV watching options?
And now that we have an improved Internet. The Internet itself has become a better option, right?

Are there Good options to watch Old Sports Events? -- (Since that's about all we have.)
Also, what are good non-sports watching Options?

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#28 » by jfs1000d » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Ok. Here is what I have. And, mind you I really go nuts on this and am willing for a little hassle.

Now with no sports, I got rid of YouTube Tv for the month. If I need a channel, I will use my moms and sisters tv go passwords. (I am 43 with a wife and fam and still do this. Lol).

But, I do have streaming tv.

Watch TV (att) is given to peole with unlimited data plans on phone. It is 30 something channels. Has cnn. AMC, tnt. Check if you have it. I get STARZ here too.

HBO through phone plan.
Pluto TV (free)
Tubi TV (Free)

Things I pay for
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Disney +
WWE Network

Think about this. With no sports. No need for a streaming service like YouTube, which is very very good.

To me, you are getting Robbed if you have a contract and are overpaying for tv with cable and satellite.

Edit: And outside of sharing some paid accounts, I do not use any of the illegal streaming stuff.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,944

Re: OT: Comcast vs. Direct TV -- (Updated 03-15-20) vs Legal Internet Options? 

Post#29 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:37 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Ok. Here is what I have. And, mind you I really go nuts on this and am willing for a little hassle.

Now with no sports, I got rid of YouTube Tv for the month. If I need a channel, I will use my moms and sisters tv go passwords. (I am 43 with a wife and fam and still do this. Lol).

Watch TV (att) is given to peole with unlimited data plans on phone. It is 30 something channels. Has cnn. AMC, tnt. Check if you have it. I get STARZ here too.

HBO through phone plan.
Pluto TV (free)
Tubi TV (Free)

Things I pay for
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Disney +
WWE Network

Think about this. With no sports. No need for a streaming service like YouTube, which is very very good.

To me, you are getting Robbed if you have a contract and are overpaying for tv with cable and satellite.

How much is a new Youtube TV account going for these days?

I had to stick with Comcast Internet (Highway Robbers), due to my Work & Schooling needs.
And the TV Options (Double Play package) just seem to be a bit better.

Note:
I would change in a heartbeat, if there were a better Non-Monopoly option (Highway Robbers!).
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#30 » by Green89 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:56 pm

There's too many free movie sites for me to want to pay for Netflix any more, which I recently canceled.

All of these have free movies and TV shows:

Crackle
Tubi TV
Filmrise
Popcorn Flix
Shout TV

Also I really like Pluto TV. They combine live channels with prerecorded titles. Their menu is like a Comcast cable guide. They have 100s of channels and all are free. A Doctor Who channel, a dog chanel, cat channel, sports (not really needed right now) and every genre of everything channels. Just found one called the Eye Candy channel. Going to see what that one is all about now!
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#31 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Unfortunately we're just moving from a cable-subscription kind of service for all our media to having the same thing with all the various streaming services. Hulu/Netflix/Disney+/HBO/Starz, pretty soon every major company should have their own service. I pay for Netflix and mooch off friends for Hulu and HBONOW (or HBOGO maybe it's called?). I'd probably cancel Netflix but my dad and my gf's parents mooch off it and it's only like 12 bucks a month and I don't feel like walking them through purchasing their own accounts/setting it up, etc. imdbTV is pretty good if you don't mind the occasional ad. Pluto TV is pretty good for a free service.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#32 » by floyd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:04 am

Parliament10 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Ok. Here is what I have. And, mind you I really go nuts on this and am willing for a little hassle.

HBO through phone plan.
Pluto TV (free)
Tubi TV (Free)

Things I pay for
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Disney +
WWE Network

How much is a new Youtube TV account going for these days?

I had to stick with Comcast Internet (Highway Robbers), due to my Work & Schooling needs.
And the TV Options (Double Play package) just seem to be a bit better.

Note:
I would change in a heartbeat, if there were a better Non-Monopoly option (Highway Robbers!).

We pay 50 for youtube. Nice thing is you can pause it - which I did last summer after Celts flames out. So I rationalized that it was only 400 for the year.

I’m also pretty psyched they just added pbs. We have passport but you can’t watch live stuff. It was a shock trying to watch election coverage at the midterms. I was horrified when I checked the other networks.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#33 » by jfs1000d » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 am

YouTube tv for $50 is awesome. But with no sports, what’s the point?

I got so much content with amazon, Netflix, Hulu and such, for about $35 a month it is insane to pay for a full package when no sports are being played.

Watch TV has cnn. It is typically $15 or free with an unlimited att data plan.

Not a bad skinny bundle .

threrf23
RealGM

Post#34 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 am

On Sling $55-60/mo ($45-50 initially) gets you ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3/TBS/TNT/most basic cable channels/NBA TV/FS1/MLBN/NFLN/NHLN/Goal Line/Strike Zone/Red Zone/college networks and a few other sports channels. Three concurrent streams allowed.

It would easily be the best value around for sports, except I don't think local sports networks (i.e. CSNE) are available.

Return to Boston Celtics