ImageImageImage

Question for Celtics fans about Rivers

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Question for Celtics fans about Rivers 

Post#1 » by Dexmor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 am

I am a Laker fan and I hate Phil Jackson starting Walton over Ariza when Ariza could be guarding the better of the 2/3 so I got to thinking and there is something that I would think would really piss you guys off to.
Ray Allen playing so many minutes. Does that bother you guys? He is not exactly an old man but he is 32 years old and they are by far the best team in the league and have Tony Allen. Why are they not consirving his energy? I just don't get it. Why play Ray Allen so much. They obviously have the chemistry so that's a dead issue. Ray Allen hasn't been exactly an Ironman his whole career. Why isn't he playing 28-32 minutes a game? I personally would be enraged.
What do you guys think?
It's not as bad as Hill playing 38 minutes but it's pretty stupid. The Boston big 3 will 100% win A championship this year if there all healthy but Doc is taking a stupid risk.
Thoughts?
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#2 » by JCizzle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:52 am

Giving Scal minutes.

I do agree that I'd like to see Ray's minutes cut back some, maybe give Pruitt some experience for later.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Dexmor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:58 am

Not even for the young guys but when your by far the best team in the league and your going to get first place why the hell would anybody be so stupid enough to play your 32 year old star so many minutes. They got KG and Pierce and some decent role players. I would play Allen 28 minutes until playoff time.
If Allen doesn't care about stats at all like they all say they dont I might even have him come off the bench for a while.
For them it's all about the finals.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#4 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 am

I was a little pissed when he was getting 40 minutes per game in November but he's now playing the fewest he's played since 2002-2003 in his half season with the Bucks. Add in the fact that the minutes are far easier, taking 14.3 shots instead of the 19-20 he's taken the last 5 years, and I don't really have a problem with his minutes. As Tony Allen gets healthier and better, Ray's minutes will decrease more.

He's down to 35:30 to 36 minute range in December and the first 3 games of January, too. He's already missed 3 games because they were being cautious with his sprained ankle/pinched nerve as well, so they are really working Pierce harder than Ray.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#5 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 am

It's not like we're a team that's been to the Finals 4 times. This is a new team, they need court time together.

Early on the Triad played big mins but lately it's really been tapering off. they are extra caareful with nagging injuries, like ray sitting out tonight. i think it's a non-issue. Ray isn't 42, he's 32. not to mentoin he's one of the best conditioned athletes in the NBA. i don't think it's a big deal for him to play 35 mins/gm.
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#6 » by daveisceltics » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:44 pm

It's beyond me why Pruitt sees 0 mpg as of late.
Maybe Doc thinks he isn't far ahead enough to play minutes in the NBA.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,049

Post#7 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:06 pm

His minutes are actually down. I didn't like it in November but in retrospect its nice to have a little bit of a cushion on the other teams in our conference. If ever there is a seson where bothconference finals and the NBA finals could go to 7 games its this one.
AWalkerREMIX
Starter
And1: 8

Post#8 » by AWalkerREMIX » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Powe seemed like the perfect guy for last night's game....but don't tell that to Doc, he decided he wanted airballs, so he went with Scalabrine.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#9 » by sully00 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Actually Ray has been very durable over his career, he has only had 3 years were he has played less than 76 games. His mins are also a little misleading. While he is playing at his career avg of just shy of 38 mpg he has sat for 3 games. Resting him for whole games which will have a far more significant impact as far as wear and tear than him playing 3 or 4 less mpg.

Come playoff time these guys are going to be going 40 or more. They need to be conditioned for that kind of run, there will be time to taper their mins and get them rest prior to the playoffs, March and April are the time for rest not Jan and Feb.
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#10 » by CelticsWhat! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 pm

I appreciate the confidence in this team from a Laker fan, but the Celts are far from "by far the best team in the league". And they don't have the best record clinched. There are about 50 games left in the season. Also, if the playoffs started today, I wouldn't put the Celtics as the favorite. They still need more time playing together. Hopefully by the end of the season, Allen's minutes will be around 35 mpg, but I don't want him playing less than 30 mpg when he is going to have to be a huge factor in our playoff success. He needs to be on the court and the whole team needs to be in rythm come playoff time.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm

AWalkerREMIX wrote:Powe seemed like the perfect guy for last night's game....but don't tell that to Doc, he decided he wanted airballs, so he went with Scalabrine.

Very true, I wish we could get rid of him and get a good coach
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#12 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 pm

It upsets me how Doc plays Ray sooo much, I dont get too upset when its a close game but when he was questionable for that game in CLE but decided to play what did Doc decide to do? He playerd him pretty much the whole game and OT, and what I REALLY REALLY cant stand is when were up 20-30 with like 5 mins left he still plays the big 3
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#13 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:It upsets me how Doc plays Ray sooo much, I dont get too upset when its a close game but when he was questionable for that game in CLE but decided to play what did Doc decide to do? He playerd him pretty much the whole game and OT, and what I REALLY REALLY cant stand is when were up 20-30 with like 5 mins left he still plays the big 3

arent' you also the one complaining about how Doc plays his bench guys too long and lets other teams back in games?

:roll:
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#14 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm

ParticleMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

arent' you also the one complaining about how Doc plays his bench guys too long and lets other teams back in games?

:roll:

WHAT???? This is something totally different. I was upset when he did a bonehead move and played the bench in the end of the third/start of the 4th and didnt take them out while they blew an 18 point lead. What Im saying here is he should take the big three out AT THE END OF THE 4th in garbage time of a blowout. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS! FACE IT DOC SUCKS! :roll:
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#15 » by sully00 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

WHAT???? This is something totally different. I was upset when he did a bonehead move and played the bench in the end of the third/start of the 4th and didnt take them out while they blew an 18 point lead. What Im saying here is he should take the big three out AT THE END OF THE 4th in garbage time of a blowout. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS! FACE IT DOC SUCKS! :roll:

Just so I understand. You don't want Doc to use his bench around the 3rd and 4th quarters with an 18 pt lead even that is what he and every other coach in the world do even in a close game. But you want him to use the same bench up 18 in the fourth quarter when the starters are actually playing. Something about this sucks but I don't think it is Doc.

Hasn't it ever dawned on you that the reason these guys still play big mins even games that are somewhat salted away is that they want to? Are you that lost, (I know the "Doc sucks while going 29-4 should be a clue) that you don't get that these guys have egos. Yes they want to win a championship but they also want to remain among the leagues elite. They like putting up numbers even if they are willing to sacrifice them to win.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#16 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:49 pm

sully00 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Just so I understand. You don't want Doc to use his bench around the 3rd and 4th quarters with an 18 pt lead even that is what he and every other coach in the world do even in a close game. But you want him to use the same bench up 18 in the fourth quarter when the starters are actually playing. Something about this sucks but I don't think it is Doc.

Hasn't it ever dawned on you that the reason these guys still play big mins even games that are somewhat salted away is that they want to? Are you that lost, (I know the "Doc sucks while going 29-4 should be a clue) that you don't get that these guys have egos. Yes they want to win a championship but they also want to remain among the leagues elite. They like putting up numbers even if they are willing to sacrifice them to win.

Ok let me clarify, back in the game against Houston we were up about 18 midway through the 3rd, Doc takes out KG and Pierce which I had no problem with and plays the bench with Ray the lead dwindles from 18-10 now at this point Id put my starters back in to save the lead but Doc waits the lead goes from 10-5, time out Doc? Nope lead goes from 5 to -1 and he finally puts his starters back in. Now what Im mad about here is during a blowout like were up 25 he will keep the big 3 in with about 5-7 minutes to play theres no need for them to be playing now the game is basically over weve dominated the whole game and theres not a chance they can even make some sort of a comeback.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#17 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm

sully00 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

(I know the "Doc sucks while going 29-4 should be a clue)

Please my Dog could coach this team with this much talent to that record, Our players are soo good not even Doc can F it up

Return to Boston Celtics