ImageImageImage

Posey at the point?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Posey at the point? 

Post#1 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:39 pm

From today's Globe:

The Celtics have used several players at point guard this season, including Rondo, Pruitt, Tony Allen, Ray Allen, and Eddie House. But they have another player with experience in James Posey. The versatile 6-foot-8-inch, 217-pounder actually played some time there with the Nuggets and Grizzlies during the first six seasons of his nine-year career. Posey has played small forward, shooting guard, and small forward this season. "I wouldn't have any problems with him at all," said Hall of Famer Dan Issel, who coached Posey with the Nuggets. "He's confident enough in his ballhandling. One of the things I loved about Pose when we drafted him was that he's very coachable and wants to win. He's not into individual stats and he'll do whatever you want him to do, and defensively he wouldn't have any problems guarding point guards." Posey said he would have no problems playing point guard if needed, and there is one current offensive set in which he runs the point. He said he wouldn't be surprised if he played the position at times during the second half of the season.

Linky
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#2 » by Kaykoose » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Seems like a stretch to me
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#3 » by darrendaye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Personally I take this with a grain of salt, the same things were said about Ray Allen.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#4 » by Dogen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:56 pm

And if Posey can't do it, what, Perk's next?
Hey you! Can we come together?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by darrendaye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Dogen wrote:And if Posey can't do it, what, Perk's next?

I see Perk more as a wing. I mean, remember last year that one time when he got the ball around half court and made a strong dribble drive to the glass? :lol:

humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#6 » by humblebum » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Oh god no... :roll:

If anything Pierce is the most qualified to help out at PG a la Tay Prince in Detroit when the defense is forcing the ball out of the hands of Chauncey. The only problem here is that Paul falls in love with the dribble when he plays here and often ends up wasting down the shot clock or drawing offensive fouls on drives to the lane.

The reality is that when Rondo is out the offense has to run through KG because he's probably the most consistent playmaker this side of Rajon Rondo.

IMO, Ray is the WORST option at PG. His handle is over-rated big time and he has trouble breaking the trap.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#7 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:23 pm

If anything, the endless internal search for someone to handle the PG duties with Rondo down goes to show that something needs to be done. Problem is, the pool of capable free-agent point guards is shallow to say the least.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by darrendaye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:If anything, the endless internal search for someone to handle the PG duties with Rondo down goes to show that something needs to be done. Problem is, the pool of capable free-agent point guards is shallow to say the least.

Agree. And the intermediate term search for a backup is still a quandry at this stage. I hesitate to write this because earlier to today I wrote a LONG post going into detail about this very thing, only to have it wiped out. But, here we go, trying to be more succint....

As I see it, with House a big part of the rotation and TA a poor choice at the point, you're left really looking for a specific fit, physically, for Rondo's backup. In order to free time offensively for House to play shooting guard, I believe you're looking for a taller point or point-wing guy who can not only distribute and handle the ball well, but, someone lengthy enough to defend wings as House is solely a barely acceptable impediment against point guards defensively. Not to mention, with few viable trading chips, Ainge is left only to his creativity in finding a gem from the free agent scrap heap to fill the role.

cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#9 » by cisco » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:04 pm

humblebum wrote:Oh god no... :roll:

If anything Pierce is the most qualified to help out at PG a la Tay Prince in Detroit when the defense is forcing the ball out of the hands of Chauncey. The only problem here is that Paul falls in love with the dribble when he plays here and often ends up wasting down the shot clock or drawing offensive fouls on drives to the lane.

The reality is that when Rondo is out the offense has to run through KG because he's probably the most consistent playmaker this side of Rajon Rondo.

IMO, Ray is the WORST option at PG. His handle is over-rated big time and he has trouble breaking the trap.

Actually, Pierce has been our most consistent playmaker. It looked like it was going to be KG after the first few games of the season, but so far it has turned out to be Pierce.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#10 » by Pogue Mahone » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:13 pm

darrendaye wrote:As I see it, with House a big part of the rotation and TA a poor choice at the point, you're left really looking for a specific fit, physically, for Rondo's backup. In order to free time offensively for House to play shooting guard, I believe you're looking for a taller point or point-wing guy who can not only distribute and handle the ball well, but, someone lengthy enough to defend wings as House is solely a barely acceptable impediment against point guards defensively. Not to mention, with few viable trading chips, Ainge is left only to his creativity in finding a gem from the free agent scrap heap to fill the role.

Darren, this was my thinking in the Tony Allen thread. For isntance, a Sammy Mejia or a Derrick Byars may not seem like a great acquisition to some, but his role would be to advance the ball for the second unit, first and foremost. Defensively, he would cover the SGs so House can D-up the opposing PGs.

Somewhat off-topic but I would seriously entertain a Ray Allen swap but it would have to be in the right circumstance. I think a Memphis package of Miller, Lowry, Swift and future 2nds for Allen and Allen is fair value.

My reasoning is that we would bolster the 2nd unit with a dynamic playmaker in Lowry (what Marcus Banks should have been) and an agile, quick shotblocker in Swift (to pair with the Pollard/Davis/Scalabrine committee.) Miller I think is a better fit than Ray Allen with our other starters because he doesn't need the ball all the time to be effective. Furthermore, Miller is a very underrated defender, imo. Lastly, Miller provides all the things that Ray Allen does (some not as good) but he does it for half the price, is younger and he is a better playmaker and dribbler in the process.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by darrendaye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 pm

cisco wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, Pierce has been our most consistent playmaker. It looked like it was going to be KG after the first few games of the season, but so far it has turned out to be Pierce.

Pierce has been more careful with his passes and he has made a concerted effort to keep his eyes on the big men down low for open looks. That said, my impression is that when he attempts to create in a floor general role, the play is a few clicks slow in developing and Paul is not extraordinary in anticipating. KG functions to his strength as playmaker and does not look to create off of the dribble, instead he does so from a stationary spot and sees over the defense usually. Paul's done a fabulous job looking for his teammates, but, I would not want to rely on him to create off of the dribble as my primary distributor.

rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#12 » by rambo_ortega » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 am

i would have no problem with posey at the point if we don't sign anyone. pierce can't drain his energy by bringing up the ball.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#13 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 am

We have Gabe Pruitt on this team! Give him a chance and stop experimenting! What is next Scalabrine as the back up PG?

Stop with this nonsense and give Gabe the chance to prove himself!
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm

Pogue Mahone wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Darren, this was my thinking in the Tony Allen thread. For isntance, a Sammy Mejia or a Derrick Byars may not seem like a great acquisition to some, but his role would be to advance the ball for the second unit, first and foremost. Defensively, he would cover the SGs so House can D-up the opposing PGs.

Somewhat off-topic but I would seriously entertain a Ray Allen swap but it would have to be in the right circumstance. I think a Memphis package of Miller, Lowry, Swift and future 2nds for Allen and Allen is fair value.

My reasoning is that we would bolster the 2nd unit with a dynamic playmaker in Lowry (what Marcus Banks should have been) and an agile, quick shotblocker in Swift (to pair with the Pollard/Davis/Scalabrine committee.) Miller I think is a better fit than Ray Allen with our other starters because he doesn't need the ball all the time to be effective. Furthermore, Miller is a very underrated defender, imo. Lastly, Miller provides all the things that Ray Allen does (some not as good) but he does it for half the price, is younger and he is a better playmaker and dribbler in the process.

Pogue, I missed this reply yesterday. You'd have my thumbs up on this one for sure. Lowry was the guy I wanted in that draft, Rondo was 1a because I felt that he'd never develop a decent jumper. Though, I was at the moment and remain very happy they picked him nonetheless. I'm not down on Ray Allen and I'm still confident he'll get in rhythm. But, I was one of the harshest critics of Ainge on that deal when it happened, before conceding that if it was necessary in acquiring KG, I'd support it.

Mejia was always intriguing to me, he just never seems to me to take that next step in college. I don't spend the countless hours of film study that you put into your evaluations, so I obviously will defer to you on where he's at now.

On Pruitt: Those calling for him to get time, I tend to agree. Some have questioned his true height, so maybe this is where my projections lose traction. But, he would seem to offer much of what I articulated. 6'3-6'4 is probably enough length to at least bother most SG's. His bulk makes him succeptable to getting backed down, but, there likely isn't going to be a perfect solution found this year. Plus, if you don't intend on making a long term commitment to House, this may not pose a challenge going forward. Personally, I still favor the combo guard type backup point as it allows you the flexibility to go smaller at the 2. Plus it's easier to find more playing time for him if you can backup 2 positions. I'm not a Pats fan, but I fully appreciate the "genius" in the manner they handle working in a salary cap environment by targeting players who provide positional flexibility. Especially when you're talking about bench strength.

bru87tr
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#15 » by bru87tr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:03 pm

has anyone seen posey take it up the floor ? this is a joke. lol....
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#16 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:31 pm

This thought just frightens me.

Return to Boston Celtics