ImageImageImage

A big man with offensive skills is needed...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

A big man with offensive skills is needed... 

Post#1 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:16 pm

The offense always completely falls apart when KG goes out; I think Webber could fit the bill nicely. He could play the high post and help facilitate Ray or Paul, whoever is still in. Unfortunately he wouldn't fit the bill for the athletic big we need off the bench; but as bad as Webber is on defense, I think one on one defense is his problem - our problem is simply forgetting about guys on the weakside.

Similarly I think Tony Allen's main skill is a little redundant; when we're playing teams other than Detroit, I think our other guys do a good enough job on perimeter defense. A ball handler is more necessary.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#2 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:28 pm

I think we need 3 guys - a ballhandler, a tall guy who can play defense (preferably athletic); and a big man who is offensively skilled.

Sign Webber, Payton, PJ Brown, cut...Tony.

Probably a horrible idea actually, but that's my 2 cents.
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by P2 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:30 pm

I would be all for Webber, but Ainge seems to think he doesn't need to sign anyone.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#4 » by darrendaye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm

I respectfully disagree. As I know you have an agenda, I'll leave it at that and offer no further food for thought as it would seem useless.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#5 » by cfan79 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:36 pm

I would love to see the C's sign Cwebb and trade for a backup point guard. I'm sure he'd be motivated to beat Detroit after they've left him hanging.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#6 » by Dogen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:03 pm

B-B-B-Birdman!!!
Hey you! Can we come together?
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#7 » by s1ickd » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 pm

in the offensive post, 90% of the teams in the league can't do better than Garnett and Big Baby.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#8 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:21 pm

The trouble with bringing in new guysinto the rotation is that you also have to take someone out of the rotation.

So say you bring in GP... and he backs up Rondo... then either House has his mins cut (and at this point he is better than GP) or else TA has his mins cut (in which case maybe we get a better ballhandler but we get to watch GP's mitten defense).

It's a fine idea to add players, but if there was anyone really good, like a big man with offensive skill or a good PG, let's face it, they wouldn't still be available. Then you also have to think about who they displace in the rotation, and what we lose because of that.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 pm

As for Payton...I see him replacing Allen or not really being in the rotation at all, depending on the matchup. You go with one or the other depending on the situation. And also insurance; with Rondo out we don't have a single ballhandler.

As for Webber, I see him as taking minutes away from everyone as we just go small less often. I guess Big Baby would be the main victim in minutes, but moreso it would spell the end for Scal. Maybe a little less Tony as well, as Webber / Davis play the 4/5, Posey goes back to 3, Allen/Pierce stay at 2, and House is at 1.

That supersmall lineup is just a disaster, especially when it is Ray out there and not Pierce. No one can create a shot, it looks like last year when Al was on the bench and Perk and the robohook is the go to play. Makes me miss Olowokandi.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#10 » by GregB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 am

Sign Webber. Start baby. Then bring Webber and Perk off the bench. Starting Perk on occasion depending on the matchup.
Relative Autonomy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Relative Autonomy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 pm

ParticleMan wrote:The trouble with bringing in new guysinto the rotation is that you also have to take someone out of the rotation.

So say you bring in GP... and he backs up Rondo... then either House has his mins cut (and at this point he is better than GP) or else TA has his mins cut (in which case maybe we get a better ballhandler but we get to watch GP's mitten defense).

It's a fine idea to add players, but if there was anyone really good, like a big man with offensive skill or a good PG, let's face it, they wouldn't still be available. Then you also have to think about who they displace in the rotation, and what we lose because of that.

i think that, if the DA signed GP and Birdman, it wouldn't disrupt the team too much. If GP's role was only play when TA, and House were bringing the ball up and starting the offense, i don't think it would disrupt the guard rotation all too much. Birdman could take Posey's minutes at the 4, any minutes scal would get, and big baby's time when length and quickness is needed
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,508

Post#12 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Last time I saw Payton, he sucked. He was slow, old and quite ineffective. Ainge sees his team sitting at 30-5 and while I'm sure he sees the possible need to add some more depth, it isn't a pressing need. He is going to wait until something that makes sense for the team, as in, someone who can actually help rather than just fill a roster spot. The Cs have the luxury to wait, whether it is a trade, or someone released for whatever reason. Why sign these hacks who nobody wants now, nor will they be wanted a month from now. If, and only if, Ainge can't do something better, then maybe he'll pick up someone like a Payton or Webber (although, I feel he can offer more than Payton by a lot). If there is one thing we have learned about Ainge this past year, it is that he has a plan and is very patient in executing it.
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by P2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:28 pm

canman1971 wrote:If there is one thing we have learned about Ainge this past year, it is that he has a plan and is very patient in executing it.

It's only a wild guess, but I think Ainge is waiting on Webber's decision before making another move.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37308

But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.

"I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball," Webber said.

Webber said he hadn't made any firm decision on where he would resume his NBA career, but the 16-year veteran said he had fielded offers from several NBA clubs and had narrowed his choices down to three teams. Webber declined to name the teams he was considering.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#14 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:09 pm

Incidentally, Payton no longer has the ability to make a legitimate impact on any NBA roster; he can't defend at all anymore, he's never had a significant jumper and doesn't have the quickness to drive anymore... and his post game isn't what it used to be. He had his moments during the title run in '06 and even then it was only in limited fashion that he was able to impact the outcome of games.

He is NOT the answer to anything.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#15 » by DelMonte West » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:27 pm

tsherkin wrote:Incidentally, Payton no longer has the ability to make a legitimate impact on any NBA roster; he can't defend at all anymore, he's never had a significant jumper and doesn't have the quickness to drive anymore... and his post game isn't what it used to be. He had his moments during the title run in '06 and even then it was only in limited fashion that he was able to impact the outcome of games.

He is NOT the answer to anything.

Thank you. It seems anyone over the age of 35 is automatically at the top of the list of players this board wants to sign. I've been saying the same thing (along with similar thoughts on P.J. Brown) for weeks and it seems nobody pays attention.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#16 » by humblebum » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm

All I know is that if Webber signs with the Celtics he's going to get a lot, a lot of extremely open looks. Offensively, especially considering his passing abilities, the guy would be a near perfect 3rd Big Man.

The big questions with him are ego; can he put his ego aside by coming off the bench and playing a more limited role?, and defense; is he sooo bad that he actually "un-does" all the offensive good he does?

If Danny feels the answers are Yes and No respectively to these questions than I say why they heck not sign him??
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,600

Post#17 » by shrink » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:19 am

If you'll subsidize some of his salary, MIN has this Antoine Walker guy, who's also a $9 mil expiring next year ... ;)

Return to Boston Celtics