ImageImageImage

Interesting Stat - Shows we need a backup point

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LarryBrdismyDad
Sophomore
And1: 1

Interesting Stat - Shows we need a backup point 

Post#1 » by LarryBrdismyDad » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:13 am

With Rajon Rondo out, Doc Rivers started Tony Allen at point guard. I'll repeat: Doc Rivers started Tony Allen at point guard. Love Tony Allen, appreciate his game, enjoyed his breakout season last year - but he also entered the game turning the ball over on 18 percent of the possession he used up. That's not only bad, that's the worst mark of ANY guard in the entire NBA. And Doc Rivers started him, at point guard!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_ex ... =nba,59513

Eddie House and Ray Allen aren't viable options either to handle the ball. I don't know if there really is anything we can do either. If Cassell isn't bought out I don't see another viable option out there besides hopeing for internal improvement.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:43 am

I count him as having turned it over 9% of the time. 18% is a ridiculous amount which no one short of scrub players who have only played a handful of minutes and are therefore subject to small-sample issues, ever reaches.

Gabe Pruitt hasn't turned it over yet in his first 26 career minutes. Hint, hint.

But yes, Tony Allen leads the league in this category at least for guards.

Sebastian Telfair is 10th in this category. Meaning only nine guards turn it over less.

Kendrick Perkins turns it over 12% of the time, good for 5th-worst in the NBA.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

backup point guard 

Post#3 » by sox839 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 am

We have a backup point guard they should try gabe pruitt. We lost two of thelast three because we didn't have rondo.
dwestside
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#4 » by dwestside » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 am

Yeah, statistics are fun but all we have to do is watch one game to realize we need a backup PG.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#5 » by rambo_ortega » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 am

^definitely
Friar Dan
Junior

Post#6 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm

I agree that:
1) We need better backup PG play
2) TA is NOT a PG
3) Pruitt shows some real promise (his game reminds me of Devin Harris)

I actually think that given the current state of the team (Rondo out, middle of a long season, team needing a boost after a bump in the road) that Harris couls get his shot at some minutes in the near future, but let's temper expectations - he's a rookie learning to play PG. Patience with Gabe...
bru87tr
Rookie

Post#7 » by bru87tr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 pm

danny isnt gonna make a move unless we go on a big losing streak.

I have to say, two recent loses to bad teams isnt a good sign. lose to the good teams, not the bad in the same week, matter of days.

although didnt detroit get pounded by NY ? :)
Friar Dan
Junior

Post#8 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 pm

This thread got me thinking - you probably won't find a Celts fan that wouldn't list backup PG among the top-2 on his wish list...but what's really available? Unless GP floats your boat, trade or waive/FA signing are our 2 routes.

What do we have to deal? Scal isn't going anywhere. Are we really going to deal Glen Davis? Fix one problem and create another? I don't think so. I think if we made a deal, it'd be TA and/or Powe (mostly for $$$), plus futture picks. That's not going to bring all that much back.

Let's remove from consideration teams that won't deal with us for obvious reasons, even if they had someone for us (be they geography or standings): DET, TOR, CLE, NJ, ORL, WAS, ATL

Now take out teams that don't need/want TA and or our pick: DAL, SA, POR, LAL

Now let's take out team that don't have a reserve PG to deal to us: PHI, IND, MIL, MIA, NO, DEN, MIN, UTA, GSW, LAC, PHX, SAC

To me, that leaves (in our price range):
FA - Gary Payton
NYK - Mardy Collins
CHI - Chris Duhon
CHA - Jeff McInnis
MEM - Lowry or Stoudamire buyout/signing
HOU - Alston*
SEA - Delonte

Given the chemistry make-up of this team, I doubt Payton is a target (he'd be here already, no?). Same goes for Damon, McInnis, and probably Alston (*who would require Scal based on $$), too. I don't think MEM would be interested in dealing Lowry. That leaves us with:

Mardy Collins, Chris Duhon, or Delonte West
Collins is unlikely, since he signed for up to 4 more years at short money.
Delonte - would Seattle cut bait on him so quickly? Would you deal TA, cash, and a future 1st for him? I would. Would Seattle take it?
Duhon - If Chicago keeps free falling, would they deal him (expiring) for TA and Powe plus a future pick?
bru87tr
Rookie

Post#9 » by bru87tr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:13 pm

I like delonte, he knows how to finish at the hoop and can pass better than rondo. I think delonte's decision making is alot better than rondos. alot of the time rondo waits too long and looks confused.

rondo , I love the guy but he makes alot of mistakes that cost us.
Friar Dan
Junior

Post#10 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:23 pm

I should clarify - in no way do I want to supplant Rondo as a starter - I want a guy to ably back him up and fill in in cases of injury.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#11 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:24 pm

bru87tr wrote:I like delonte, he knows how to finish at the hoop and can pass better than rondo. I think delonte's decision making is alot better than rondos. alot of the time rondo waits too long and looks confused.

rondo , I love the guy but he makes alot of mistakes that cost us.

What? Like getting hurt? This team needs a backup point that can handle the ball. That person is not West. I think we learned over the past few years that Delonte is a SG who can do spot PG duties. I wouldn't give up a pick alone to get him back as a PG.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#12 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Here's what I don't understand -- why is Tony Allen playing PG on offense over Ray Allen?
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#13 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Ray Allen has been even worse at PG. Teams trap him and it's instant disaster. TA has shown the ability to bring the ball up. Where he gets into trouble is he tends to drive into traffic, often without any real purpose. It's not his ballhandling that's bad (it's not good, but it's not that bad either), it's his decision making.

Pruitt hasn't exactly impressed me with his handle either. I don't think, right now, he is any better than House.

I agree we get exposed a bit when Rondo is out. But unless he's out for the season or something, I just don't think it's a big deal. House is fine in backup mins. Every team suffers when you take out a starter. How is SA without Parker? PHX without Nash? Not saying Rondo is as critical as those guys, but it just illustrates that injuries are a big equalizer.

I don't think we should panic because Rajon is out a few games because of a bad back. By panic I mean trade BBD or Pruitt for a short-term fix, when that short-term fix will probably ride the pine much of the season once Rondo gets healthy.
b3n
Junior
And1: 87

Post#14 » by b3n » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:54 am

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

I could be missing something but how come I haven't heard anything about Big Earl..? Defensive liability but wouldn't he fit the bill otherwise?
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#15 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 am

Did Doc forget Pruitt?

Return to Boston Celtics