ImageImageImage

Finals Game 2 : Celtics vs Lakers - Sunday, June 8th (1-0)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#381 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:16 am

Scandalouzzzz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what's equally stunning is powe gettin as much foul shots as the entire laker team. you don't find that a bit weird?

Nope. The Lakers didn't take it to the hoop very much at all.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#382 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:21 am

It is fun to go to LA with the 2-0 lead.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#383 » by mr_sunshine » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:24 am

what's equally stunning is powe gettin as much foul shots as the entire laker team. you don't find that a bit weird?

And the Lakers had 20 more shots from the floor, and attempted 7 more 3s than Boston. Just look at the shot chart instead of bitching. The Lakers were shooting jumpers all night. Powe lived inside the lane and got hacked a ****.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#384 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:30 am

Right now, the Celtics are very hungry for a win in LA. What can LA do? They must protect three home games in a row without winning a title.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#385 » by Profound23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:33 am

When LA had 44 FTAs and Utah had 18, all I heard from LA fans was it was because LA was so much more aggressive on the offensive end, didn't rely on jump shooting and 3 pointers.

Well Powe took it to the hole everytime, while Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Vlad/Fisher played soft and relied on 3's.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If LA wants to complain about the refs taking away games this series, they must admit the refs gave them at least two games vs UTAH....not to mention the obvious one's vs the Spurs.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#386 » by nyhuskyfan » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:33 am

If you told me that before the game, I would have said no way. Having watched the game, I don't find it weird at all. Powe was attacking the basket relentlessly - much more so than any other player on the floor, and the Lakers were forced to foul him.

The Lakers didn't deserve many more foul shots than they got. The missed calls I saw were KG's follow through hitting Gasol on the alley-oop in the second quarter, and Pierce trying to give up a foul on Kobe in the fourth quarter. Kobe ended up with a lay-up out of it, which probably would have been waved off had they called the foul. When Kobe picked up his tech, its certainly possible he was grazed, but it was a soft foul if there was one. Gasol wanted a foul on the last play of the half, but I thought he just went up soft. He was probably fouled on the second shot, but it was after the horn.

The refs put the Lakers in the bonus early in both the third and fourth quarters, but they didn't take advantage (although in the fourth, their three-point shooting was getting them back in the game, so its hard to complain with how they played it).
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 645

Post#387 » by Desiderium » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:34 am

mr_sunshine wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And the Lakers had 20 more shots from the floor, and attempted 7 more 3s than Boston. Just look at the shot chart instead of bitching. The Lakers were shooting jumpers all night. Powe lived inside the lane and got hacked a ****.

ok so celtics had 15 less shot attempts than the lakers. lakers made 5 more field goals than celtics. however, celtics got to the line 38 times! 38...compared to a lakers 10. so don't tell me you deserved every single one of those 38 attempts cuz thats BS. for a second, i thought the entire team was going to foul out by halftime. kobe's second foul which got him into foul trouble...no way that was a foul. its the finals...you gotta let those plays go. OR be consistent with it. i cant complain tho, you're the home team, of course you're gonna get the calls, and lakers will get calls when they play in LA. its just the way of the game, love it or hate it. im not takin anything away from ur team, u guys clearly played better and more energized, but the refs were a major part of lakers goin down the big hole
EvadedHavoc
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#388 » by EvadedHavoc » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:35 am

Awesome win.

Time to close them out in LA
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#389 » by nyhuskyfan » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:41 am

Kobe tried to send a little message and popped Ray with an elbow. If he used his forearm to ward off the defender fine - you see that all the time - but he threw an elbow and got caught. You can complain about that call all you want, but if you don't throw an unnecessary elbow, there's no whistle. Blame Kobe for lack of discipline.

Frankly, the Lakers might not have even deserved four of the 10 foul shots they got. Fisher's two were after Powe just took the ball right out of his hands cleanly. Kobe got two in the third after a pretty soft hand checking foul.

But I'm sure Game 3 will see foul shots go 30-10 the other way.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#390 » by Anklebreaker702 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:42 am

Good game again Celtics, you got us on the ropes but we will not go out without a fight. We must win all 3 to have a chance
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#391 » by Profound23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:47 am

You can say LA didn't deserve some of the fouls they had called on them.

But you can also say Odom walked up the back of PJ on numerous occasions with no call.....2 of the time getting offensive put backs and the other throwing the ball down on PJ to get it out of bounds.

Or Vlad's 5 step dunk?

You can complain about Kobe's elbow throwing offensive foul, but then you must point out KG's elbow throwing offensive foul.

Refs called it fair, Boston played more aggressive....Lakers played passive. End of Story.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#392 » by Truthiracy » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:48 am

I don't want to see another game played in Boston until October ;)
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Post#393 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Jun 9, 2008 5:05 am

nyhuskyfan wrote:Kobe tried to send a little message and popped Ray with an elbow. If he used his forearm to ward off the defender fine - you see that all the time - but he threw an elbow and got caught.

I think that was a bad call by the refs. Ray Allen was even more surprised than Kobe Bryant when the ref blew the whistle.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#394 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Mon Jun 9, 2008 5:07 am

No, Lakers shot jumpshots. You guys were staying on the perimeter while we were driving to the hoop.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#395 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jun 9, 2008 5:45 am

LucerneStDoggz wrote:I don't want to see another game played in Boston until October ;)

:beer:

TWO MORE WINS TO GO!!!
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#396 » by HitMan52 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 6:49 am

I will be rooting for you guys to win the finals.

And about the officiating I thought there were bad calls on both ends I mean how many times can:

Lamar Odom get away with an over the back.
Derek Fisher get away with his kung-fu reach ins.
And how many times can Kobe and Pau get away with those wrap arounds of their arms to get passed their defender.

One thing I think Doc should do is to learn when to take a time out. When the Lakers cut the 24 point lead down to 9 I though there should have been a timeout and then another timeout when Sasha hit the three.

But all in all, Go KG and the Celtics for the 2008 NBA Champs. With of course Paul Pierce so far looks like Finals MVP.
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#397 » by omegatronic3 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:16 am

man if you ever wondered what it sounds like when thousands of Boston fans soil their pants know you know!!!!!!!! Thank god though I didn't have watch another team choke away a 20 pt lead to the Lakers. You blow that lead like the Spurs did and you woulda been toast.

In a way though I think almost blowing the lead may serve you better than blowing them out because now you go into game 3 seeing what the Lakers made work. If you blow em out you go into game 3 overconfident. Now you saw that the Lakers were effective when they ditched the triangle and went to pick and roll. Now you can make adjustments before game 3.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#398 » by return2glory » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:28 am

LucerneStDoggz wrote:I don't want to see another game played in Boston until October ;)

I want this series to go 5 games.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#399 » by theman » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:04 am

return2glory wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I want this series to go 5 games.

Four would be nice.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#400 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:03 pm

I think every other coach would have put Leon Powe back in the game by the time the lead had dwindled to maybe 12 or 10, but not Doc. The Lakers had no answer for him at all. And why was Rondo playing for the entire second half? I understand Cassell was injured, but Eddie House is a better free throw shooter than Rondo is. I'm a big Rondo fan, but he did look fatigued. It'll be amazing if this team can win with Doc as their coach.

Return to Boston Celtics