ImageImageImage

OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Re: OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks 

Post#61 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:26 pm

He is past struggling. Struggling is what Dirk did the first 3 years of being in the L. He is Olowakandi,not Dirk. He just doesn't have the work ethic. I know nothing about him BBIQ. What i do know is Paul Pierce said he is lazy. Nothing kills more people in this world careers than laziness.
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#62 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:12 pm

And Gerald has admitted as much, saying that he didn't put the work in that was needed early on...he recognizes that he has to work harder, and he will work harder now as a member of the Mavs. There's a big difference between not being willing to do the work, and not understanding how much work needs to be put in. Gerald's willing to work, but his ego was so big while he was here that he didn't think he had to. He's been humbled now, and he's ready to work.

When asked in the past about his work ethic, Gerald always replied with something along the lines of "I think my work ethic is good." Now when he's asked all he talks about is how he missed his opportunity and didn't work hard enough. The change in his mindset is easy to see, and that change is going to result in him working much harder.

JR Smith didn't have the work ethic early either...
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#63 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:17 pm

^^^ Shouldn't he have been humbled at Minnesota or at Houston? <g> When your original team and two others have given up on you - your chances of making it are between slim and none. Just ask Kedrick Brown...
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#64 » by Prophet_C » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:49 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:And Gerald has admitted as much, saying that he didn't put the work in that was needed early on...he recognizes that he has to work harder, and he will work harder now as a member of the Mavs. There's a big difference between not being willing to do the work, and not understanding how much work needs to be put in. Gerald's willing to work, but his ego was so big while he was here that he didn't think he had to. He's been humbled now, and he's ready to work.

When asked in the past about his work ethic, Gerald always replied with something along the lines of "I think my work ethic is good." Now when he's asked all he talks about is how he missed his opportunity and didn't work hard enough. The change in his mindset is easy to see, and that change is going to result in him working much harder.

JR Smith didn't have the work ethic early either...

I was a huge fan of GG and overrated him big time but man let it go. Everytime there's a GG thread you defend him like this. This is his fourth team. No more excuses.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:25 pm

^^^
Amen. Just let it go. It is ok that you took the screenname thinking he would be great. I picked my screenname knowing the guy sucked. What is really the difference?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#66 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:42 pm

I wish Gerald all the luck in the world. I don't know a perfect parallel but I am sure there is some underachieving athletic player who fumbled around in the NBA for several years before finding a role. He might never be 1/2 of what TMac (his most-used comp) was/is, but I do think he can have a role. At his height and length, at the very least I think he can be a situational 3 point shooter who can at least pester opposing ballhandlers.

Now, the key is finding the right coaching and motivation. Has he found it in Dallas? That remains to be seen. He's saying the right things but saying and doing are totally different animals. We'll see how strong his resolve is in December when he's averaging 5 minutes a game.
eloper
Starter

Post#67 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:44 pm

Houston never gave up on Gerald. He was let go as part of a numbers crunch. Houston knew he wasn't going to be in their rotation come playoff time, he was going to be a free agent anyways, and his bird rights were of no use seeing as he wasn't going to make more than the MLE, so it only made sense to cut him when they needed to make room for a big. From everything that came out of Houston, the coaching staff was disappointing that the move had to be made, because they were excited about working with Gerald.

Who's to say he wasn't humbled in Minnesota/Houston? From everything I've seen, it was getting cut by Houston that was the last straw with Gerald. The whole Minnesota process began the humbling, getting cut completed it.

If people are going to bash Gerald, I have every right to defend him. Don't give me this "why don't you just give it up" bull, because if you feel Gerald isn't worth defending, then why's it ok to trash him? It's like kicking someone while he's down and getting angry when he tries to get back up. I didn't pick my username only because I thought he was going to be a star, but because he's someone I followed before he was a top 10 recruit, before he was hyped through the roof. Most of the things people hate about Gerald, I identified with. I identified with the immaturity, the confusion, the looking totally overwhelmed at times, and to me Gerald was a guy easy to root for. Gerald could be a senior at Oklahoma State right now with a small chance of making it to the NBA, and my name would still be a Gerald Green reference. Seeing as he first came to my attention when he was a 6'3'' center at a small school in Houston, he's beaten the odds to get where he is today, and I'm going to continue to believe that he can beat the odds until he officially hangs up his shoes. Sorry if rooting for someone you guys don't like bothers you, but I'm going to continue to root for him, and I'm going to continue to defend him as long as there are people bashing him.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:11 pm

[quote="GeraldGreen5"]

I did pick my username only because I thought he was going to be a star.quote]

Fixed.

I'm just here to help. :D
eloper
Starter

Post#69 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:28 pm

bruno sundov wrote:
GeraldGreen5 wrote:
I did pick my username only because I thought he was going to be a star.

Fixed.

I'm just here to SAY THAT GERALD GREEN IS THE NEXT TMAC!!!! :D

Fixed.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#70 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:30 pm

GG5I feel for you man. I used to feel the same way about Kedrick Brown. Your waisting your time though. Guys who get it - get it quick. Guys don't go from getting bounced out of the league to being stars again.

You can try your T-Mac or J'Oneal comparisons - but those guys were good in that the teams at least new they had SOMETHING worth keeping. Teams have straight out punted on GG. We could have included say Rondo if we were high on GG so don't pretend DA didn't give up on him.

I wouldn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE for GG to become a star. But i do think you stand a much better chance of being struck by lighting - especially if your a golfer.

Pete
eloper
Starter

Post#71 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm not saying he's going to be a star, I'll personally never give up hope, but I realize that it's not a realistic view. I'm not pointing to TMac or JO, I'm pointing to JR Smith...who was given up on by two teams before catching on in Denver. What makes his situation so much different from Gerald's? JR "got it" a year earlier, but he also received playing time a year earlier than Gerald, and had a significantly better pre-NBA pedigree.

Just because the Celts were higher on Rondo than Green doesn't mean they completely gave up on Gerald. I do think they basically gave up on him (I don't think they'd of cut him if he weren't included, but I don't think he'd been treated a whole lot differently than say, TA's being treated right now)...but the Rondo defense doesn't exactly make sense.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:49 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:
GeraldGreen5 wrote:
I did pick my username only because I thought he was going to be a star.

Fixed.

I'm just here to SAY THAT GERALD GREEN IS THE NEXT TMAC!!!! :D

Fixed.

LOL :D
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#73 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:50 pm

Can I change my screen name to OrienGreene0? We should bring him back, he was so good, he's gonna be great, a perennial All-Star!!! :roll: :roll:

It's getting to the point where I *will* actively root for Gerald to fail just so all his groupies will shut the hell up already. I called him Kedrick v2.0 when we drafted him and looks like I was right...all that remains to be seen is if he will flame out of the NBA permanently in the same # of years as Kedrick...what's the over/under? :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
eloper
Starter

Post#74 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:55 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:Can I change my screen name to OrienGreene0? We should bring him back, he was so good, he's gonna be great, a perennial All-Star!!! :roll: :roll:

It's getting to the point where I *will* actively root for Gerald to fail just so all his groupies will shut the hell up already. I called him Kedrick v2.0 when we drafted him and looks like I was right...all that remains to be seen is if he will flame out of the NBA permanently in the same # of years as Kedrick...what's the over/under? :lol:

His groupies? You mean me and his family?

You're proving my point about people rooting for him to fail because they want to be able to say they were right. Personally, I think doing something like that is pretty sad.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:00 pm

[quote="MyInsatiableOne"]Can I change my screen name to OrienGreene0? We should bring him back, he was so good, he's gonna be great, a perennial All-Star!!! :roll: :roll:

I think your screenname should be MARTY CONLON. All caps!!!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#76 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:13 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Can I change my screen name to OrienGreene0? We should bring him back, he was so good, he's gonna be great, a perennial All-Star!!! :roll: :roll:

His groupies? You mean me and his family?

You're proving my point about people rooting for him to fail because they want to be able to say they were right. Personally, I think doing something like that is pretty sad.

There are loads of other people on here who desperately want to bring him back.

And I don't root for him to fail, even though I expect him too. But I said (if you actually read it) I'm about to just so everyone who keeps saying how great he's gonna be will finally shut up.

And it's not about being proven right...I already have been...he *is* Kedrick v2.0. All that remains to be seen is how soon he'll be out of the NBA permanently.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#77 » by Prophet_C » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:14 pm

Are you GG's "partner" or something? Jesus that's some man crush. Are you going to just cream all over GG if you ever meet him?

"OMG GERALD I'M YOUR BIGGEST AND ONLY FAN"

*splurt*

Sorry I couldn't resist....
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#78 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:24 pm

apparently Gerald got around when he was in Boston because you guys are acting like he tagged family members of yours.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#79 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:52 pm

^^I know y'all are saying that in reference to GeraldGreen5 and not me...I'm with you guys, GG5 has a huge boner or something for Gerald....what gives? He's like the little weenie kid in the movie getting the **** beat out of him by the bigger kids for defending his favorite down-on-his-luck loser boxer or something. "Stop it guys, he's really good *POW*!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#80 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:02 pm

no, it was in regards to you and the negative way you continually trash on the kid. nothing personal, it just seems petty as hell

Return to Boston Celtics