Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem?

JustJoe
Ballboy
And1: 33

Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem? 

Post#1 » by JustJoe » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:40 pm

Without mentioning championships, is their one thing on the court Duncan was superior to Hakeem in? The only thing I can think of is passing because for the early part of Hakeem prime he had really low assists rate and was known as a very tough shot taker. Also Duncan has better post prime longevity, but Hakeem was an all-star caliber player for 13 seasons, and also had all-time level peak from 1992-1995. I definitely think it's a close comparison, and they would both be in my personal top ten, but how can Duncan get GOAT consideration while Hakeem barely sneaks into most top tens. I just don't see the argument for Duncan being on a different tier as Hakeem.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,329

Re: Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem? 

Post#2 » by LakerLegend » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 am

JustJoe wrote:Without mentioning championships, is their one thing on the court Duncan was superior to Hakeem in? The only thing I can think of is passing because for the early part of Hakeem prime he had really low assists rate and was known as a very tough shot taker. Also Duncan has better post prime longevity, but Hakeem was an all-star caliber player for 13 seasons, and also had all-time level peak from 1992-1995. I definitely think it's a close comparison, and they would both be in my personal top ten, but how can Duncan get GOAT consideration while Hakeem barely sneaks into most top tens. I just don't see the argument for Duncan being on a different tier as Hakeem.

I'd say the general view is Duncan ranks higher based on career and Hakeem ranks higher based on peak.

Hakeem at his peak might have an argument against almost anyone who ever played.

Return to Player Comparisons