Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem?

JustJoe
Freshman
And1: 56

Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem? 

Post#1 » by JustJoe » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:40 pm

Without mentioning championships, is their one thing on the court Duncan was superior to Hakeem in? The only thing I can think of is passing because for the early part of Hakeem prime he had really low assists rate and was known as a very tough shot taker. Also Duncan has better post prime longevity, but Hakeem was an all-star caliber player for 13 seasons, and also had all-time level peak from 1992-1995. I definitely think it's a close comparison, and they would both be in my personal top ten, but how can Duncan get GOAT consideration while Hakeem barely sneaks into most top tens. I just don't see the argument for Duncan being on a different tier as Hakeem.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Why is Duncan almost universally consider better than Hakeem? 

Post#2 » by LakerLegend » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 am

JustJoe wrote:Without mentioning championships, is their one thing on the court Duncan was superior to Hakeem in? The only thing I can think of is passing because for the early part of Hakeem prime he had really low assists rate and was known as a very tough shot taker. Also Duncan has better post prime longevity, but Hakeem was an all-star caliber player for 13 seasons, and also had all-time level peak from 1992-1995. I definitely think it's a close comparison, and they would both be in my personal top ten, but how can Duncan get GOAT consideration while Hakeem barely sneaks into most top tens. I just don't see the argument for Duncan being on a different tier as Hakeem.

I'd say the general view is Duncan ranks higher based on career and Hakeem ranks higher based on peak.

Hakeem at his peak might have an argument against almost anyone who ever played.
Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Post#3 » by Matt15 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:12 am

Duncan is highly regarded on this site. Many consider him to be a Top 5 player all time. Hakeem may have a argument for peak but Duncan beats him handedly in career accolades. Basically ‘02/‘03 Duncan and ‘93/‘94 Hakeem is nearly a wash but Duncan beats Hakeem out in accolades, longevity…etc
ty 4191
Starter
And1: 1,948

Post#4 » by ty 4191 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:05 pm

Without mentioning championships, here's a decent thumbnail sketch of the case for Duncan over Hakeem:

MVPS:
Duncan 3
Olajuwon 2

Finals MVPS:
Duncan 2
Olajuwon 1

All NBA First Team:
Duncan: 15
Olajuwon: 12

All Defensive 1st Team:
Duncan: 8
Olajuwon: 5

All Defensive Teams:
Duncan: 15
Olajuwon: 9

ROY:
Duncan: 1
Olajuwon: 0

Duncan buries Olajuwon in WS, WS/48, VORP, BPM.

Same with postseason, though, of course, re: cumulative stats, Duncan played 106 more games during The Second Season.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#5 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:35 pm

Classic peak vs longevity debate. I’m on side of peak. I have Hakeem over Duncan on the greatness scale. Think top 5 a stretch for Duncan
tihsad
Junior
And1: 158

Post#6 » by tihsad » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:55 pm

I'm a big fan of peaks and Dream in general, but is there a solid reason to think Hakeem's peak was superior to Duncan's?
The Rodzilla wrote:He has all the ingredients of a superstar, he banged the Madonna, he is in the movies, he is in the hall of fame, he grabs all the rebounds etc
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#7 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:46 pm

Duncan had 8 All-NBA Team seasons from teammates. Hakeem had one, Ralph Sampson in Olajuwon’s rookie season…which was just 4 years removed from the first time he ever picked up a basketball. People talk like their support was comparable…it wasn’t.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to Player Comparisons