Season speculation, trade ideas, etc

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Season speculation, trade ideas, etc 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:19 am

For any thoughts about how the season is going, where you expect it to go, and what trades you might do or expect.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by pelifan » Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:39 am

Cmon Pelicans fans, lets put our heads together. We've got to find a way to turn Anthony Davis into a couple starters from losing teams.

Anybody have any ideas?
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 3, 2016 4:14 am

I'll go ahead and post my simple formula for anyone who wants to suggest an Anthony Davis trade:

1) Determine what you think is fair value

2) Determine what you would consider to be an overpay

3) Take Step 2 and add more to it

Follow these three steps and you'll possibly get an Anthony Davis trade worth considering.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 3, 2016 2:00 pm

Mr. E wrote:I'll go ahead and post my simple formula for anyone who wants to suggest an Anthony Davis trade:

Follow these three steps and you'll possibly get an Anthony Davis trade worth considering.

Change 3 to "Take Step 2, double it, and then double it again", and you're probably right. :wink:

But seriously, major rule is this. You're hoping to trade for a player that is truly a transcendental talent. Moreso than Simmons, by quite a bit. He's a 4/5 that can defend anybody on the court, even PG's. He can play offense from the post to the 3 point line. He can run the court. If he hadn't have had an injury this past year, he likely would have started the all-star game, or been an All-NBA player, again. And he's super young (only played 1 year in college), AND signed long-term. He's possibly the most valuable player in the game, as far as trade value is concerned. He's NOT going to come cheap. Or easy. Even if New Orleans "sucks", they're still better off spending 3-4 years trying to build around Davis, rather than deal him for 4 or 5 lesser pieces (and yes, Noel, Saric, Embiid, Okafor, and any amount of picks are all lesser pieces), and build around that. New Orleans is going to try every avenue they can. Every player will be dealt again, the coach and GM will be fired and new ones hired, all before they even CONSIDER dealing AD.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:01 pm

pelifan wrote:Cmon Pelicans fans, lets put our heads together. We've got to find a way to turn Anthony Davis into a couple starters from losing teams.

Anybody have any ideas?

Brandon Knight and PJ Tucker?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I'll go ahead and post my simple formula for anyone who wants to suggest an Anthony Davis trade:

Change 3 to "Take Step 2, double it, and then double it again", and you're probably right. :wink:

But seriously, major rule is this. You're hoping to trade for a player that is truly a transcendental talent. Moreso than Simmons, by quite a bit. He's a 4/5 that can defend anybody on the court, even PG's. He can play offense from the post to the 3 point line. He can run the court. If he hadn't have had an injury this past year, he likely would have started the all-star game, or been an All-NBA player, again. And he's super young (only played 1 year in college), AND signed long-term. He's possibly the most valuable player in the game, as far as trade value is concerned. He's NOT going to come cheap. Or easy. Even if New Orleans "sucks", they're still better off spending 3-4 years trying to build around Davis, rather than deal him for 4 or 5 lesser pieces (and yes, Noel, Saric, Embiid, Okafor, and any amount of picks are all lesser pieces), and build around that. New Orleans is going to try every avenue they can. Every player will be dealt again, the coach and GM will be fired and new ones hired, all before they even CONSIDER dealing AD.

I think the only guy they would even consider if he was on the table, is Towns but the Pelicans still probably wouldn't do it. Any other star is probably too old to even give consideration to and/or under contract long enough.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#7 » by pelifan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:Cmon Pelicans fans, lets put our heads together. We've got to find a way to turn Anthony Davis into a couple starters from losing teams.

Anybody have any ideas?

I feel like this maybe needs more.

Well obviously Booker and Bledsoe would be untouchable in a Davis trade because why deal your best players for AD just to become terrible like the Pelicans.

So Brandon Knight, TJ Warren, PJ Tucker and a first round pick.

I know many folks in phoenix think this is maybe a little much but Davis is the perfect fit for us next to chandler. And I like Davis a lot and think he just might be worth it.

He would make a great 2nd banana to Booker.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:53 am

pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Anybody have any ideas?

Well obviously Booker and Bledsoe would be untouchable in a Davis trade because why deal your best players for AD just to become terrible like the Pelicans.

I know many folks in phoenix think this is maybe a little much but Davis is the perfect fit for us next to chandler. And I like Davis a lot and think he just might be worth it.

You are funny. Though you are right about many Suns fans overvaluing their players. Somebody was claiming to a team in the lottery that they would need to trade their 2017 unprotected pick for him. I did a poll asking if he was worth that and almost a third of the posters said yes.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#9 » by pelifan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

You are funny. Though you are right about many Suns fans overvaluing their players. Somebody was claiming to a team in the lottery that they would need to trade their 2017 unprotected pick for him. I did a poll asking if he was worth that and almost a third of the posters said yes.

I was poking fun at the Denver and 6ers trade posts. Every fan base overvalues their players. Most fans are pretty reasonable but problem is the ones who post trade offers most frequently usually aren't.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:01 am

pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:

I was poking fun at the Denver and 6ers trade posts. Every fan base overvalues their players. Most fans are pretty reasonable but problem is the ones who post trade offers most frequently usually aren't.

Curious, why do you have the Thunder listed as your favorite team with a username of pelifan?
pelifan
RealGM

Post#11 » by pelifan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:07 am

bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Curious, why do you have the Thunder listed as your favorite team with a username of pelifan?

Just made the change. I'm still a Pelicans fan through and through. I just want to stand in solidarity with the small market teams. Pulling for the Thunder hard this year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:08 am

pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:

Just made the change. I'm still a Pelicans fan through and through. I just want to stand in solidarity with the small market teams. Pulling for the Thunder hard this year.

Yes, they are my second favorite team. Brutal to see KD leave, but I've been maintaining that I feel like there is a good chance Russ stays, facing much ridicule for such an opinion.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#13 » by pelifan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:09 am

bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yes, they are my second favorite team. Brutal to see KD leave, but I've been maintaining that I feel like there is a good chance Russ stays, facing much ridicule for such an opinion.

starting to look like you are right.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:12 am

pelifan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
pelifan wrote:

starting to look like you are right.

We'll see. How about the Saints? What do you expect from them this year? Division seems to be getting tougher. I was a big fan of Brees back when he was a Charger and still am a fan of is. Used to really like the Saints...I'm an underdog guy too but once they won the Superbowl (really though they should have lost to the Vikings in the NFC championship that year) my fandom dissipated a bit just because I am the underdog guy.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#15 » by pelifan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:29 am

bwgood77 wrote:We'll see. How about the Saints? What do you expect from them this year? Division seems to be getting tougher. I was a big fan of Brees back when he was a Charger and still am a fan of is. Used to really like the Saints...I'm an underdog guy too but once they won the Superbowl (really though they should have lost to the Vikings in the NFC championship that year) my fandom dissipated a bit just because I am the underdog guy.

between 2006 and 2009 the Saints were the best story in the NFL.

Brees is a standup guy. He's done a lot for the community but I'm worried about him. He's too proud to accept the personal decline he has coming. That and the frustration of a team that isn't very good. But still the playoffs are a possibility. The NFC South is notoriously unreliable. Maybe it's just salt but I'm predicting a big drop off for the Panthers. But the constant pushing money back into future years and some big FA misses have doomed the Saints. But fortunes in the NFL can change quick if you have a good QB and a good coach, so you never know. I'm expecting a .500ish season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Offseason thread 

Post#16 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#17 » by simon24 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:22 am

This would be the perfect year to tank. I'd love Josh Jackson at SF with Hill off the bench. I think the moves Demps made this summer bringing in Buddy, Hill, Galloway, Moore, Jones is going to make the Pelicans a surprise team like the Hawks when they first brought in Ferry.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#18 » by jc23 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:54 pm

if your interested in a 2k17 ps4 sim style league we are looking for a Pels owner. info here:

http://www.best2kleague.com/
Be curious, Not judgmental
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#19 » by Mr. E » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:40 am

Do any of you ever go to the Abita Brewery? I used to park my car there and then ride the Tammany Trace on my bike. I'd then go get a few pints & a steak sandwich and completely nullify the workout.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
pelifan
RealGM

Post#20 » by pelifan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Pelicans probably should tank with Holiday's status. But they won't.

Hard to imagine a worse starting 5 around a player than Moore, Buddy, Hill, and Asik

Return to New Orleans Pelicans