Is It Possible for Anthony Davis to Be A Transcendent Superstar and for the Pelicans to be This Bad?

Moderator: bwgood77

EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Re: Is It Possible for Anthony Davis to Be A Transcendent Superstar and for the Pelicans to be This Bad? 

Post#41 » by EAS Law » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:07 pm

mtron929 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Not even LeBron could get it done by himself. What happened once Kevin Love was traded to the Cavs? He went from never been in the playoffs, to Finals appearance, to Champion. I suspect that Cousins and AD would be immediate Finals contenders if you put them on even a mid-tier playoff team.

Saying AD isn't doing what he is doing because his team is poorly constructed (and injured i thought) is totally unfair. The same goes for Cousins.

Except AD is not viewed in the same tier as Love and Cousins. He is seen as the best talent to come out of the draft in the last decade. Love and Cousins are good players but are not regarded in that manner. Apples to oranges.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I am yet to personally see anyone place AD in a GOAT realm or even one of the GOAT at his position. Everyone appreciates what he brings and what he could do, but I don't think anyone looks at him in the way your question would require.

To evaluate how good he is individually, I'd suggest checking things like his efficiency, and then maybe looking at the circumstances surrounding his team's losses. A 1 or 2 point buzzer-beater loss in a 6 game sample is a lot different than 6 20+ point blowouts.

Remember also that AD took this same Pelicans team to the playoffs a couple of years ago when he had a very slightly better supporting cast.

It's a team game. Having a guy put up 50/20/7 is going to be a big help to you, but you need someone or some combination of players to contribute at least another 50/30/10/5 or something to have a chance in any game. This is going to be true for anyone, and AD could still be all of those things (generational talent) on a team that just doesn't fit or isn't very good.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Re: Is It Possible for Anthony Davis to Be A Transcendent Superstar and for the Pelicans to be This Bad? 

Post#42 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:09 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:He's only 23 years old. The thing I really question is what kind of player development is the organization providing for him. I haven't heard anything about issues with work ethic. He had an awful lot of workload placed on his shoulders at a time when he should be honing his craft. Just looking at the teammates he's had, the Pelicans seem to be completely lost and without a vision. They haven't established a culture, or an identity as far as what kind of team they want to be. They haven't even given him a veteran mentor unless you count Perkins and/or Omer Asik (lol). There's no direction. AD is just in an ugly situation.

AD and KG play different styles. They're different animals and I don't see the point of comparing them. I will say the one thing KG always had over AD was better ballhandlers. He had Starbury early, Troy Hudson was a quality backup, Sam Cassell is arguably one of the greatest floor generals and leaders. He had guys who could take some of the pressure of making decisions on the floor. Lance Stephenson just isn't going to cut it.

You're neglecting the biggest difference of all. KG is an all time defensive legend and has a case as a top 5 defender ever. Anthony Davis has low defensive impact. Which is why when people always compare the two based on metrics which mostly account for offense alone, it's so misguided. KG had better PG'S but he was also a far better passer, ball handler and shot creator for himself so I'm not sure that this is entirely relevant.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#43 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:10 pm

EAS Law wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Not even LeBron could get it done by himself. What happened once Kevin Love was traded to the Cavs? He went from never been in the playoffs, to Finals appearance, to Champion. I suspect that Cousins and AD would be immediate Finals contenders if you put them on even a mid-tier playoff team.

Saying AD isn't doing what he is doing because his team is poorly constructed (and injured i thought) is totally unfair. The same goes for Cousins.

Except AD is not viewed in the same tier as Love and Cousins. He is seen as the best talent to come out of the draft in the last decade. Love and Cousins are good players but are not regarded in that manner. Apples to oranges.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I am yet to personally see anyone place AD in a GOAT realm or even one of the GOAT at his position. Everyone appreciates what he brings and what he could do, but I don't think anyone looks at him in the way your question would require.

To evaluate how good he is individually, I'd suggest checking things like his efficiency, and then maybe looking at the circumstances surrounding his team's losses. A 1 or 2 point buzzer-beater loss in a 6 game sample is a lot different than 6 20+ point blowouts.

Remember also that AD took this same Pelicans team to the playoffs a couple of years ago when he had a very slightly better supporting cast.

It's a team game. Having a guy put up 50/20/7 is going to be a big help to you, but you need someone or some combination of players to contribute at least another 50/30/10/5 or something to have a chance in any game. This is going to be true for anyone, and AD could still be all of those things (generational talent) on a team that just doesn't fit or isn't very good.

100% false. People have talked about him on the scale. On this forum, in the media etc.

EAS Law
Analyst

Post#44 » by EAS Law » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:18 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
mtron929 wrote:

100% false. People have talked about him on the scale. On this forum, in the media etc.

It's 100% false that I've never personally seen anyone place AD as a GOAT? alright.

I'll go ahead and look, but I feel like I would have stumbled across that already. Perhaps people have said he could be that good eventually, but I'm fairly certain that no one I've ever seen here put him as a current top 5 player of all time even. The list is usually some combination of Shaq/Bron/MJ/Russel/Wilt/West/Magic/Kareem/etc. I think you may be mistaken here if you examine statements more closely.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#45 » by NinjaSheppard » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:18 pm

What's more realistic?

That Anthony Davis carried a mediocre team to the playoffs in a tough Western Conference during his 3rd year and then forgot how to win at age 22

or that his teammates became bad

Definitely the first choice because this is the general board
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#46 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:21 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:He's only 23 years old. The thing I really question is what kind of player development is the organization providing for him. I haven't heard anything about issues with work ethic. He had an awful lot of workload placed on his shoulders at a time when he should be honing his craft. Just looking at the teammates he's had, the Pelicans seem to be completely lost and without a vision. They haven't established a culture, or an identity as far as what kind of team they want to be. They haven't even given him a veteran mentor unless you count Perkins and/or Omer Asik (lol). There's no direction. AD is just in an ugly situation.

AD and KG play different styles. They're different animals and I don't see the point of comparing them. I will say the one thing KG always had over AD was better ballhandlers. He had Starbury early, Troy Hudson was a quality backup, Sam Cassell is arguably one of the greatest floor generals and leaders. He had guys who could take some of the pressure of making decisions on the floor. Lance Stephenson just isn't going to cut it.

You're neglecting the biggest difference of all. KG is an all time defensive legend and has a case as a top 5 defender ever. Anthony Davis has low defensive impact. Which is why when people always compare the two based on metrics which mostly account for offense alone, it's so misguided. KG had better PG'S but he was also a far better passer, ball handler and shot creator for himself so I'm not sure that this is entirely relevant.

Agreed. Like I said, KG is a different animal. But again, I question how much of that is due to poor player development. There's no reason why AD shouldn't be an elite defensive player.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#47 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:22 pm

EAS Law wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:I understand what you're trying to say, but I am yet to personally see anyone place AD in a GOAT realm or even one of the GOAT at his position. Everyone appreciates what he brings and what he could do, but I don't think anyone looks at him in the way your question would require.

It's 100% false that I've never personally seen anyone place AD as a GOAT? alright.

I'll go ahead and look, but I feel like I would have stumbled across that already. Perhaps people have said he could be that good eventually, but I'm fairly certain that no one I've ever seen here put him as a current top 5 player of all time even. The list is usually some combination of Shaq/Bron/MJ/Russel/Wilt/West/Magic/Kareem/etc. I think you may be mistaken here if you examine statements more closely.

Sorry, I should clarify. I haven't seen anyone call him the GOAT now. What I've seen is people say he is that transcendent of a talent who has a shot in the future of becoming that. In reference to upside or estimation, not current.

I'm tired still so likely misread the context of your post. If so, I'm sorry. The overall point I'm making is Davis gets put into discussions he has no business being in and until it translates to team success nobody will take it seriously. I realize it's a team sport so I don't expect him to win a ring. But the west has dropped off a ton this year so expecting a 8 to 9 seed annually or regular season success isn't unfair is it?

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#48 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:24 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Agreed. Like I said, KG is a different animal. But again, I question how much of that is due to poor player development. There's no reason why AD shouldn't be an elite defensive player.

This is very fair. He hasn't had ideal support on the court or in the front office for development. But on the reverse of that how do the likes of KG, Jordan, Shaq etc go around dysfunctional or less than ideal front office or coaches? A part of me thinks if you're going to be great, you're going to be great. I don't know how much credit I give coaches etc for that.

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:29 pm

He's not transcendent. He's just a great player.
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#50 » by EAS Law » Sat Nov 5, 2016 5:29 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Sorry, I should clarify. I haven't seen anyone call him the GOAT now. What I've seen is people say he is that transcendent of a talent who has a shot in the future of becoming that. In reference to upside or estimation, not current.

I'm tired still so likely misread the context of your post. If so, I'm sorry. The overall point I'm making is Davis gets put into discussions he has no business being in and until it translates to team success nobody will take it seriously. I realize it's a team sport so I don't expect him to win a ring. But the west has dropped off a ton this year so expecting a 8 to 9 seed annually or regular season success isn't unfair is it?

No problem man, the GB definitely likes hyperbole...

I'll put it to you like this-- can you think of ANY team in the NBA at all that would NOT trade their starting C or PF for Davis? I don't think you could--I mean, seriously, ANY other team?

Now, could you think of ANY PF or C drafted in the last 10 or even 15 years that can do everything AD is doing;Capable of scoring 50, pulling down 20 boards, blocking 5+ shots, assisting on 5+ buckets?

As you're a Clipps fan, I realize you have a phenomenal PF and C combo and have for the better part of 8 or 9 years now, but I still think deep down, you'd trade one of Blake/DeAndre, or both for Davis.

That's enough to be generational. AD becomes transcendent when he can do a ton of things that PFs and Cs couldn't do or rarely did well before him. I'd argue he can, but that's a subjective opinion.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#51 » by Scalabrine » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:00 pm

gipper08 wrote:No. It is not possible.

To try and rationalize it for him they are newly paying Moore/Hill/Galloway 25 million per. None of the three belong in a consistent NBA rotation of a rebuilt up and coming playoff bound team. They are combines worth 5 million.

Add to that they pay Ajinca/Osik 14 million per. Those two are a combined worth -25 million per.

The solution is to try and trade Holiday for Noel. Tank this season but only playing future pieces and winning ball.(tank yet try and win)

Never play Osik or Ajinca. Ever. Let Jones,Cunningham and Hill get those minutes.(Hill should never play more than 16 minutes a game and mostly at the 4).

Galloway and Moore don't have the talent or consistency to both play minutes. Drop Galloway.

I would bench Frazier and bring in Briante Weber. You lose a ton of scoring but gain overall offense and a ton of defense.

I think you are really oversimplifying this. First off they are without their 2nd and 3rd best players right now, which obviously hurts any team, especially a team that isn't that deep with scorers.

I agree that Moore/Gallo/Hill are all overpaid but I also think they are all rotation worthy players...maybe not in the same rotation, but they are still rotation worthy players that do a lot of little things. I know Galloways game quite well and he is a very tough defender, good shooter, and always plays his best in the big moments. None of them are star players, but with the injury history of some of their guys, they definitely needed some depth, which is what they got here.

Asik and Ajinca make a combined 14 million. I'm not sure what you really meant by this. They are both on pretty solid deals now that we live in a world where Mozgov is making 17 million per year. The Pels are getting Asik, Ajinca, and Frazier for the same price the Lakers are giving Mozgov.

Speaking of Frazier, in the two Pelican games I've watched, I thought he has played great. He is all over the floor, he doesn't make a bunch of mistakes, doesn't force things, and he is good at getting others involved, I think for 2 million dollars per year he is a steal. He's definitely a rotation level point guard and if he can get a more trustworthy jumper then I think he is proving himself as a passable starting caliber point guard in the league or one of the better backup point guards.

The Pelicans need more options, and with Holiday and Evans back, I think they will look much better, but the hole might be too deep for them to rise from by the time that happens.
Go Knicks!
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#52 » by mattao313 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:05 pm

Hero wrote:Kevin Love and Demarcus Cousins both got blamed for their teams not making the playoffs. Year in year out.

Meanwhile AD's team can't even get a win and basically all the blame is deflected to his teammates.

Yet Anthony Davis made the playoff before While Cousins still hasn't and Love did it as a third option.
Championships
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#53 » by og15 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:20 pm

Love didn't just join a mid-tier playoff team he went to a team with LeBron, that's a big jump.

I agree, if you put this guys on team already making the playoffs then they will make the playoffs and make the team better, not sure they would necessarily make them immediate finals contenders though. I think we always make it seem a lot easier than it actually is the be that kind of team.

That said, I can see the argument that Davis is not a transcendent superstar based on his performance in terms of impacting winning so far, but his teams have had misfortune, and so far this season it is 6 games.

Of course I question how there are probably some people who are now "defending" Davis' situation who were criticizing Love not making the playoffs for ____ amount of seasons while being fully aware that he was only a lead player in Minny for 3 seasons, that he missed most of one season, and didn't have rosters built to compliment him yet his team won like 40 games or so in a tough West.

Also have we noticed that most of these guys who get these criticisms are in the WC? I know the East is getting better now, but it's so funny how people can be so linear mine and will praise a guy for getting 38 wind and making the playoffs then criticize another for winning 40 games but missing the playoffs.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#54 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:38 pm

This conversation wouldn't be happening if Tyreke and Jrue were playing. You know that, right?
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#55 » by nbafan341 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:48 pm

We will take him on the raptors for valancuinas, norman powell, and 2 first rounders

Strike 1. Derailing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#56 » by og15 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:03 pm

EAS Law wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:It's 100% false that I've never personally seen anyone place AD as a GOAT? alright.

I'll put it to you like this-- can you think of ANY team in the NBA at all that would NOT trade their starting C or PF for Davis? I don't think you could--I mean, seriously, ANY other team?

Now, could you think of ANY PF or C drafted in the last 10 or even 15 years that can do everything AD is doing;Capable of scoring 50, pulling down 20 boards, blocking 5+ shots, assisting on 5+ buckets?

As you're a Clipps fan, I realize you have a phenomenal PF and C combo and have for the better part of 8 or 9 years now, but I still think deep down, you'd trade one of Blake/DeAndre, or both for Davis.

That's enough to be generational. AD becomes transcendent when he can do a ton of things that PFs and Cs couldn't do or rarely did well before him. I'd argue he can, but that's a subjective opinion.

One, yes, both, no chance
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#57 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:13 pm

I want to use this thread to point out that Anthony Davis is just a great scorer that does not make his teammates better much like Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant,Tracy McGrady, Dominique Wilkins, Carmelo Anthony, etc... I believe that Lebron is the greatest NBA player ever. What we see happening with Anthony Davis is consistent with what happens when great scorers are not entrenched within a strong organization with the right everything. Kobe's teams were horrible without great coaching and big men. Michael Jordan never made it out of the first round of the playoffs without great coaching and a top 50 player as his point forward. Lebron's teams are contenders no matter what! Jordan without Pippen and Phil Jackson would look like a better version of all of the rest of these top scorers that come up short in wins. Lebron James is a championship system, head coach, and GM all rolled up into one body.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#58 » by Patches Perry » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:16 pm

I feel like Davis is still in the "showcase" part of his career. He is merely showing us what he can do, but to no effect really. He is still on the shelf. At some point, those abilities need to be put to good use. For as good as his defensive attributes are, I don't think it translates.

Kevin Garnett is the best comparison of guy his size/skills who carried terrible teams into the playoffs. Garnett was out there leading, holding his teammates accountable though. I think Davis is still just trying to prove to everyone else that he has crazy skills. We believe you AD, now go do something with those skills.

He needs to take the reigns and drive. Otherwise it's all just for show, and meaningless.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#59 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:30 pm

EAS Law wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:It's 100% false that I've never personally seen anyone place AD as a GOAT? alright.

Honestly it depends. Blake of the 2015 playoffs if he could do it consistently and dominate like that I'd take over Davis no question. But the problem with Blake is mentally he just loses the rope too often. He will play like the league MVP one month, then drop off the next. The thing working against Davis though in these arguments is he's been insanely injury prone. If you could guarantee health then yes, of course I'd take Davis over Griffin or DJ.

Blake has been equal or arguably to AD the last few years depending on which years you compare. I'd give AD the clear edge in one of those years and Griffin the edge in his 3rd place MVP year. but AD does have the higher upside, less questionable mental makeup and is younger. As for Davis for both, not even close. Griffin and DJ are all NBA players, not role players.

improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#60 » by improper » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:33 pm

EAS Law wrote:Not even LeBron could get it done by himself.

LeBron basically did get it done himself in 2007. Yeah, he didn't win the title, but taking that awful roster to the Finals at all was a goddamn miracle.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans