Figuring out the new look Pelicans

Moderator: bwgood77

pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Figuring out the new look Pelicans 

Post#1 » by pelifan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Now that the reactions are out of the way let's talk basketball.

Obviously some additional roster moves need to be made. share your ideas.

How do you see Davis and Cousins fitting. What do their statlines look like?

How do you see Gentry coaching a big centric team?

How do the Pels finish the season now?

What moves do you see happening in the future? Does Cousins stay? Does Holiday get maxed?
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Re: Figuring out the new look Pelicans 

Post#2 » by PaKwAn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:59 pm

kings might go on a firesale after this, i would try and get garrett temple from them.. you guys will love him and is a pretty good fit for this team! jrue temple hill is a pretty good bunch defending the perimeter and would still be a threat from the outside on offense.

haven't really followed gentry so im a question mark with that.

pels are 99.9% guaranteed to be in the playoffs now..injuries would be the only thing stopping them to get there.

a winning culture and his friendship with AD will surely make big cuz want to stay here...
pelifan
RealGM

Post#3 » by pelifan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:40 am

It's been explained to me a few times now but I'm not sure why the Pelicans ever let Casspi go the first time. I think he's got the potential to be the best sf New Orleans has had since Ariza.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#4 » by Zion Wembanyama » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 am

pelifan wrote:It's been explained to me a few times now but I'm not sure why the Pelicans ever let Casspi go the first time. I think he's got the potential to be the best sf New Orleans has had since Ariza.

I've been a fan since he was drafted.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#5 » by Zion Wembanyama » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:29 am

Here's an idea. Since it seems were going with a big dominate team now, how about ACTUALLY playing Asik meaningful minutes.

1. To up his value
2. To spell AD and Boogie
3. He's be another big that would wear down our opponents front-court. Just think, after AD and Boogie dominates your interior, Asik comes in and just picks you apart due to attrition.

I think Ajina will be moved, so I didn't include him.

AD/Diallo
Boogie/Asik

^^ Could be the best big man rotation EVER if it works out.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#6 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 am

They should be able to get to the 8th seed this year and hopefully win a game or 2 on GS, would be awesome if they beat them. It's going to take a little time to gel and I don't expect it to happen quick. They should hire a new coach this offseason but not sure who. Get a point guard or try to retain Jrue. Go after a star in the offseason, I'm sure one of the stars would love to team up with those guys. This is another dynasty on the map ! They both will average around 28 points and 11 rebs each and good defense.

For now, find a way to get rid of Asik and/or Solomon Hill. Might have to attach something to get rid of their contracts. Hill can play some solid D so he can probably stay for now but There is really no need for Asik and Ajinca so trade them now if can or wait til offseason. Need to get them out to clear cap space. By taking all 3 of them out with no contracts coming back, Pelicans can have around 40 million or so in cap space and more if they get rid of Moore. Enough money to go after CP3, Lowry, Jrue or Gordan Hayward and fill out the bench.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#7 » by Gilles » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Right now, first order of business is getting a capable backup wing. Those guys, that Stein mentioned, are ok as a cover in case of an injury, but I'm not sure they are good enough for 20 minutes a game. In theory you can swing Solo down for some minutes playing him at SG with Casspi at SF.

Wonder, if Knicks will ship older Holiday for 2018 2nd rounder: there's a discussion of trade with Wolves, that might bring them Muhammad, so they might not have minutes for expiring Justin. Holiday is on a min.contract, so no need to send a player to New York, only pick.

There's no need for Asik and Ajinca in New Orleans, but with current phasing out of offensively inept bigs from rosters none of 29 other teams have any need for them as well. Since Pelicans are not gonna use cap space this summer, stretching Asik is not necessary. Maybe in the summer after the draft, when 2018 first-rounder will be eligible for trading, Pels can combine Ajinca and QPon, who by then will be almost expiring contracts and explore what wings are available, that can help with PO run in 17/18.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I was going to start a similar thread, but great to see you starting them pelifan!

I love Casspi, a great glue guy to keep the locker room focused on the right things.

Jrue is solid. The team SHOULD be able to trade for a shooter. They need someone to stretch the floor. Terrence Jones for a shooter...someone who can shoot at least 38% from 3.

A little depth. More shooters if possible.

Maybe with two good passing PGs, and Jrue able to hit the 3 at a respectable rate, play him and Frazier together. The more good passers to get AD and DC more looks, the better.

I haven't examined the 3 pt range of the rest of the roster closely, but play those guys, particularly if they have a good presence on defense as well.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#9 » by pelifan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 am

If anyone was wondering how Boogie Brow would work. I was curious myself but that Cousins setting a pick for a Davis curl from the left block action at 7:40 looks like a total nightmare to guard, instead of popping out like Cunnigham does if Cousins plants himself on the low block on that action forget about it. My favorite play of the bunch because it's so simple and you can run it everytime down the floor.

As does the same action at the elbow

and for a perimeter oriented look the pindown for the guard leading in to a dribble handoff with Cousins and Davis as screeners could also be nice.
Tone-
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#10 » by Tone- » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 pm

It's a huge, massive, whatever deal, but before that one, when was the last good trade from Pelicans ? Jrue maybe ? We are not the best for that.
Now Pels need some role players. And a bench. I hope they will understand that and not hoping DMC/AD/Jrue will win all the games alone.

Morrow could be good at SG but I don't except OKC to trade him, unfortunately.
. . . . . . ......... . . . .. . . . . . ......... . . . .Image
. . . . . . ......... . . . . . . . . . ......... . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . .Unleash the Greek Freak.
pelifan
RealGM

Post#11 » by pelifan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Tone- wrote:It's a huge, massive, whatever deal, but before that one, when was the last good trade from Pelicans ? Jrue maybe ? We are not the best for that.
Now Pels need some role players. And a bench. I hope they will understand that and not hoping DMC/AD/Jrue will win all the games alone.

Morrow could be good at SG but I don't except OKC to trade him, unfortunately.

Jrue was a bad deal. The last one I was impressed with was Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza for Rashard Lewis :nonono:

Return to New Orleans Pelicans