"In Observance of Jrue Holiday" (FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENCE)

Moderator: bwgood77

Lana Del Rey
Senior
And1: 2,007

"In Observance of Jrue Holiday" (FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENCE) 

Post#1 » by Lana Del Rey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 pm

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/11/17222596/jrue-holiday-pelicans-playoffs
In the shadow of Anthony Davis’s brilliance, Jrue Holiday has done all of the little things to power the Pelicans back into the postseason
A short, but good article from a major media outlet of how good Jrue has been this season.

Other related content.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/pelicans/article_fa3dcad4-3527-11e8-8e62-5bea24cbae83.html
“Jrue Holiday should be first-team All-Defense, without a doubt,” forward Solomon Hill said. “Just watch what that guy does every game and tell me he doesn’t deserve it. You can’t.”

“It would be pretty bad if he doesn’t get it,” Davis said of Holiday’s All-Defense candidacy. “There’s not too many guys like him.”
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23032582/2018-nba-all-defense-defensive-player-year-best-picks-position
Kevin Felton: Though Holiday has technically started most of his games at either shooting guard or small forward (depending how you want to categorize him and E'Twaun Moore), he has played the majority of his minutes at the point while defending all three perimeter positions.

At 6-foot-4, Holiday is often at a size disadvantage on the wing, but he compensates with strength. Additionally, no player shorter than Holiday blocks shots as frequently. As a result, the Pelicans allow 9.0 fewer points per 100 possessions with Holiday on the court.

@FearTheBrown: How good has Jrue been at the point of attack? When Jrue sits, Pels opponents attack the rim on 38.1% of their possessions, 2nd worst in the league. When Jrue plays, opponents only attack the rim on 32.7% of their possessions. The 5.4% difference puts him in the 96th percentile. For reference, Rudy Gobert is in the 97th percentile, as Jazz opponents attack the rim a full 6% less with him on the court. Who says guard defense isn't important? Holiday is having the effect of an elite rim protector in deterring drives to the rim.

/u/Good_NewsEveryone: Jrue Holiday has the second-highest on/off net difference in the NBA.

9-minute Jrue Holiday defensive highlights courtesy of @FearTheBrown:

As Tony Allen once said: "FIRST TEAM ALL DE-FENSE"
Read on Twitter
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Re: "In Observance of Jrue Holiday" 

Post#2 » by pelifan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Holiday is absurdly talented. It almost feels like when he wants to be he's a two way superstar it's just a matter of assertiveness for him. He can't get to the foul line for reasons I don't understand but he'd be up there with the best guards in the league if he could put it all together.
Jonas DeRoss
RealGM
And1: 102,548

Post#3 » by Jonas DeRoss » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I was always a fan of Jrue and I thought the 6ers really messed up when they traded him for Nerlens + a first. Glad to see that he's excelling in this role.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#4 » by JaysRule15 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Nice to see him put together a healthy season.
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#5 » by IggieCC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 pm

pelifan wrote:Holiday is absurdly talented. It almost feels like when he wants to be he's a two way superstar it's just a matter of assertiveness for him. He can't get to the foul line for reasons I don't understand but he'd be up there with the best guards in the league if he could put it all together.

I heard some commentary guy say that Holiday always plays at the right speed and thought that was spot on. He doesn't go too fast and is always in control. Seems easy but it must be extremely difficult at NBA level. Aside from the recent haircut, a big fan of his game.
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Post#6 » by Lana Del Rey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 pm

pelifan wrote:Holiday is absurdly talented. It almost feels like when he wants to be he's a two way superstar it's just a matter of assertiveness for him. He can't get to the foul line for reasons I don't understand but he'd be up there with the best guards in the league if he could put it all together.
One Twitter analyst argued that because Jrue is not as demonstrative as other elite paint scorers -- or that he isn't a superstar -- that he doesn't get the same kind of respect form officials. Simmons (1026), Westbrook (896), and Jrue (790) are the only guards in the top 15 overall for points in the paint. Jrue's free-throw rate (FTA per FGA) is 0.193, Westbrook's is 0.336, and Simmons' is 0.342.

But ...

IggieCC wrote:I heard some commentary guy say that Holiday always plays at the right speed and thought that was spot on. He doesn't go too fast and is always in control. Seems easy but it must be extremely difficult at NBA level. Aside from the recent haircut, a big fan of his game.

... I also agree with the point made by that commentary guy. Jrue is very calculated with his movements when he drives, compared to someone like Westbrook who goes all-out on almost every single drive. Jrue reminds me a bit of Chris Paul with how he "stops and goes". Either way, he's a fantastic player who is having a career-year. And I'm personally a fan of all his hairstyles, especially the braids.

Read on Twitter
pelifan
RealGM

Post#7 » by pelifan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 am

Lana Del Rey wrote:
One Twitter analyst argued that because Jrue is not as demonstrative as other elite paint scorers -- or that he isn't a superstar -- that he doesn't get the same kind of respect form officials. Simmons (1026), Westbrook (896), and Jrue (790) are the only guards in the top 15 overall for points in the paint. Jrue's free-throw rate (FTA per FGA) is 0.193, Westbrook's is 0.336, and Simmons' is 0.342.

But ...

IggieCC wrote:I heard some commentary guy say that Holiday always plays at the right speed and thought that was spot on. He doesn't go too fast and is always in control. Seems easy but it must be extremely difficult at NBA level. Aside from the recent haircut, a big fan of his game.

... I also agree with the point made by that commentary guy. Jrue is very calculated with his movements when he drives, compared to someone like Westbrook who goes all-out on almost every single drive. Jrue reminds me a bit of Chris Paul with how he "stops and goes". Either way, he's a fantastic player who is having a career-year. And I'm personally a fan of all his hairstyles, especially the braids.

playing the 2 next to Rondo has been good for Jrue. He's been more aggressive this season than he has in previous ones. I don't see him as a Chris Paul type point even though he ocassionally plays with that pace as he is prone to some dumb turnovers and just all around isnt the same tactician as Paul.

Also this definitively proves that fish braids and cornrows w/ no headband Jrue should never return
Read on Twitter
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Post#8 » by Lana Del Rey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:04 am

LIVING for the love Jrue is getting from national writers/outlets. All it took was one playoff game to show off the clamps.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pelifan
RealGM

Post#9 » by pelifan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 am

Too bad he'll end up getting 2nd team. He really has been the best defensive player in the league under 6'5" this season. Better than Oladipo by a hair imo.
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Post#10 » by Lana Del Rey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:59 am

Jrue tonight: 33 points, 9 assists, only 1 turnover

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pelifan
RealGM

Post#11 » by pelifan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:45 am

pelifan wrote:Holiday is absurdly talented. It almost feels like when he wants to be he's a two way superstar it's just a matter of assertiveness for him.

Think it's safe to say he was assertive.
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Post#12 » by Lana Del Rey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 am

Jrue finishes the first round averaging 28 points (63% TS), 4 rebounds, 7 assists and absolutely suffocating D. Unreal performances, seriously.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
eso3
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#13 » by eso3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 am

I am truly impressed with Jrue. I watched him a lot in his early stage as a Sixer fan and loved his all around game. He was so smooth for a young guy.

Despite him becoming an All Star I was ok with the Noel deal at the time. I thought it was worth the risk because Jrue was near his peak. He would be good at many things but elite at none.

The Holiday-Gordon-Evans era was a fiasco and I was even more convinced of the trade. And I believed the contract extension was a huuuuuuuge overpay. But something happened after Cousins went down.

He stepped up, more in power than ever. I wonder what was the switch between past seasons and now. Does anyone have a clue? Maybe his wife health problem made him mature, I don’t know.

Or maybe he just got it. In this Blazers series I have perceived some Billups vibe in Jrue. Big guard, strong, simple but effective handles, excellent defense, big shot ability in the final minutes. And he does it in full control always, at least he looks that way.

Billups also took a while before figuring out things. But then he became a superstar. I know it’s a hot take but we might be seeing the same with Jrue, right?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Re: 

Post#14 » by Alonzo_Morning » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 am

eso3 wrote:I am truly impressed with Jrue. I watched him a lot in his early stage as a Sixer fan and loved his all around game. He was so smooth for a young guy.

Despite him becoming an All Star I was ok with the Noel deal at the time. I thought it was worth the risk because Jrue was near his peak. He would be good at many things but elite at none.

The Holiday-Gordon-Evans era was a fiasco and I was even more convinced of the trade. And I believed the contract extension was a huuuuuuuge overpay. But something happened after Cousins went down.

He stepped up, more in power than ever. I wonder what was the switch between past seasons and now. Does anyone have a clue? Maybe his wife health problem made him mature, I don’t know.

Probably a cumulative effect of being fully healthy and his headspace. He said after game 3 that he was in a truly good place now.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#15 » by Zion Wembanyama » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Gang gang!
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Post#16 » by Lana Del Rey » Sat May 5, 2018 6:00 pm

pelifan wrote:Also this definitively proves that fish braids and cornrows w/ no headband Jrue should never return
Read on Twitter
So far in the playoffs, the Pelicans are 0-2 when Jrue has braids. The Pelicans are 5-0 when Jrue has the fro.

Seems like Jrue does not believe in the analytics though.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Lana Del Rey
Senior

Re: "In Observance of Jrue Holiday" (FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENCE) 

Post#17 » by Lana Del Rey » Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to New Orleans Pelicans