Zion out at least the first week of the season

Moderator: bwgood77

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Zion out at least the first week of the season 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Zion is out at least the first week of regular season with another scan set for later this month. Hopefully all will look good and we will see him on the court sooner as opposed to later even if it is with a minutes restriction initially.

A few NOP writers try to predict how long he will be out: https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2021/10/16/22729474/zion-williamson-injury-return-foot-surgery-new-orleans-pelicans-record-2021-22

Kevin: 8-12 games
Mike: 11 games
David: 11 games
Oleh: 6 games is his optimistic scenario
Travis: Hopes to see him by Dec 1st
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Zion out at least the first week of the season 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:46 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Zion is out at least the first week of regular season with another scan set for later this month. Hopefully all will look good and we will see him on the court sooner as opposed to later even if it is with a minutes restriction initially.

A few NOP writers try to predict how long he will be out: https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2021/10/16/22729474/zion-williamson-injury-return-foot-surgery-new-orleans-pelicans-record-2021-22

What's up Vic.. everything good

When someone hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

Zion coming back slowly is becoming a potential benefit to both the teams short & long term goals. In their early struggles they have built both chemistry & grit starting something like 2-14. In doing so, they have found a way to win games without the player they were built around & are currently on a 4 game win streak & 7-3 in their last 10 showing steady progress. Pels find themselves in a win win situation in potentially making the playoffs without their best player or serious lotto currency, especially with how things are shaking out with the Lakers.

Lakers currently sit 13th seed with 3 teams only a half game back & 2 teams a game & a half back with them entering the toughest part of their schedule, Lebron playing heavy mins at 37 & Davis entering protocol. At some point dysfunction & blame will set in with their high expectations.

In losing Zion.. Pels find themselves with a lot of positive potential outcomes.

Currently the team is showing they can play above 500 ball without Zion, more less in addition to 1-2 potential top 10 picks via the Lakers struggles & current trend.

Pels need to be smart & not force the situation. What was looking like a bad hand with Zions injury, is currently turning up Aces..
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:39 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Zion is out at least the first week of regular season with another scan set for later this month. Hopefully all will look good and we will see him on the court sooner as opposed to later even if it is with a minutes restriction initially.

Zion coming back slowly is becoming a potential benefit to both the teams short & long term goals. In their early struggles they have built both chemistry & grit starting something like 2-14. In doing so, they have found a way to win games without the player they were built around & are currently on a 4 game win streak & 7-3 in their last 10 showing steady progress. Pels find themselves in a win win situation in potentially making the playoffs without their best player or serious lotto currency, especially with how things are shaking out with the Lakers.

Lakers currently sit 13th seed with 3 teams only a half game back & 2 teams a game & a half back with them entering the toughest part of their schedule, Lebron playing heavy mins at 37 & Davis entering protocol. At some point dysfunction & blame will set in with their high expectations.

In losing Zion.. Pels find themselves with a lot of positive potential outcomes.

Currently the team is showing they can play above 500 ball without Zion, more less in addition to 1-2 potential top 10 picks via the Lakers struggles & current trend.

Pels need to be smart & not force the situation. What was looking like a bad hand with Zions injury, is currently turning up Aces..

Honestly JV has been huge for NOP so far. What a trade if that Lakers pick ends up top 10 and NOP gets to keep it...

I feel like the Lakers will at least end up in the play-in tournament though they could do that and still get a top 10 pick. Bron is fighting hard to get wins though. It'll be interesting to see what they do at the deadline.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Honestly JV has been huge for NOP so far. What a trade if that Lakers pick ends up top 10 and NOP gets to keep it...

I feel like the Lakers will at least end up in the play-in tournament though they could do that and still get a top 10 pick. Bron is fighting hard to get wins though. It'll be interesting to see what they do at the deadline.

Lebron is different but what was so far an easy schedule for the Lakers, he's still playing too many minutes at 37 where he's coasting on D to preserve energy. Lakers are currently sitting tied for 11th seed with 2 other teams. They're a half game up on the struggling Knicks & a game up on the Spurs, where a loss could see them fall as far as 9th seed entering the toughest part of their schedule. 2 games also separate them from Portland & the Kings.

Father time always wins. Any injury to Lebron being over used, can't see that squad surviving it. Things are trending in Pels favor for now & will hopefully continue to do so.

Even if Pels don't get their pick this year, there's satisfaction for me that it will end up in Memphis. That said, Lakers are an old, ageing team, capped out with no quality depth or discernable young talent worth building around outside a often injured 26yo Davis. Pels own a right to swap in 23 & another first in 24 which I think will turn out very valuable outside of what could potentially happen this year. Luck remains a huge factor in this new draft format where a top 4 pick would be nice ..

Although I would have preferred Jonas remaining in Memphis, can't be too mad at the JV trade. They traded an ageing C for a future wing & gap filler which fits the young cores timeline while getting a somewhat similar physical rebounding force in Adams in return to bridge the gap for 3J development & though the West is weak this year where a step back was possible after trade, Memphis are firmly in the 4th seed (Where I saw them with JV/3J last yr if 3J was healthy). Logically, with no bias to a favored player, It's what I would have potentially done also. Memphis took some losses in the deal to get their preferred target & as a result, regardless of how anyone watches the JV/Adams swap as individuals, Memphis are ahead of the game with Zaire's development, pending.

All the best for the new year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:42 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Lebron is different but what was so far an easy schedule for the Lakers, he's still playing too many minutes at 37 where he's coasting on D to preserve energy. Lakers are currently sitting tied for 11th seed with 2 other teams. They're a half game up on the struggling Knicks & a game up on the Spurs, where a loss could see them fall as far as 9th seed entering the toughest part of their schedule. 2 games also separate them from Portland & the Kings.

Father time always wins. Any injury to Lebron being over used, can't see that squad surviving it. Things are trending in Pels favor for now & will hopefully continue to do so.

Even if Pels don't get their pick this year, there's satisfaction for me that it will end up in Memphis. That said, Lakers are an old, ageing team, capped out with no quality depth or discernable young talent worth building around outside a often injured 26yo Davis. Pels own a right to swap in 23 & another first in 24 which I think will turn out very valuable outside of what could potentially happen this year. Luck remains a huge factor in this new draft format where a top 4 pick would be nice ..

Although I would have preferred Jonas remaining in Memphis, can't be too mad at the JV trade. They traded an ageing C for a future wing & gap filler which fits the young cores timeline while getting a somewhat similar physical rebounding force in Adams in return to bridge the gap for 3J development & though the West is weak this year where a step back was possible after trade, Memphis are firmly in the 4th seed (Where I saw them with JV/3J last yr if 3J was healthy). Logically, with no bias to a favored player, It's what I would have potentially done also. Memphis took some losses in the deal to get their preferred target & as a result, regardless of how anyone watches the JV/Adams swap as individuals, Memphis are ahead of the game with Zaire's development, pending.

All the best for the new year.

I low key wouldn't mind us taking another look at JV down the road. I get why we moved him. He was too good and provided a safety net for the young guys on offense. Without him we have had JJJ take some steps to be more aggressive simply because he has had to. Ja is THE closer where as before he also was able to lean on JV. A few more years for the young guys to develop and the team to hopefully land that third star and we will fully enter our win-now/contending window. If JV is willing to take on a lesser role, I'd love to get him as a spot starter against big bodied centers and an offensive engine for the bench. It would be criminal watching him maul opposing bench units along with some of our other solid players such as Melton. I don't see him coming our way for that since he has a great role with the Pelicans, but if they want to trade him back I'd certainly take a look.

As for the NOP pick stash, it looks sooo good. The Lakers are able to attract stars so I fully expect them to bring in a star duo post Lebron, but I think there will be a couple lean years again during the stretch you guys own their picks. Ending up with at least one top 5 pick from the Lakers really wouldn't be that shocking though I still see it as unlikely. NOP is still in a good spot if Zion can get healthy and stay on the court.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:10 am

VCfor3 wrote:I low key wouldn't mind us taking another look at JV down the road. I get why we moved him. He was too good and provided a safety net for the young guys on offense. Without him we have had JJJ take some steps to be more aggressive simply because he has had to. Ja is THE closer where as before he also was able to lean on JV. A few more years for the young guys to develop and the team to hopefully land that third star and we will fully enter our win-now/contending window. If JV is willing to take on a lesser role, I'd love to get him as a spot starter against big bodied centers and an offensive engine for the bench. It would be criminal watching him maul opposing bench units along with some of our other solid players such as Melton. I don't see him coming our way for that since he has a great role with the Pelicans, but if they want to trade him back I'd certainly take a look.

As for the NOP pick stash, it looks sooo good. The Lakers are able to attract stars so I fully expect them to bring in a star duo post Lebron, but I think there will be a couple lean years again during the stretch you guys own their picks. Ending up with at least one top 5 pick from the Lakers really wouldn't be that shocking though I still see it as unlikely. NOP is still in a good spot if Zion can get healthy and stay on the court.

What a finish by Ja last night.. good win over the Suns.

I think JV got tired of being traded lol & believe he put a no trade clause in his early extension with the Pels. 3yrs is a long time to predict & he'll be 31 I think at the end of it, you may not want him again lol. I could also see especially if Zion is healthy & some internal improvement, he may choose to remain home/stable in his situation.

Concerning the Lakers pick, I was wrong yesterday they were 15th seed but after last night, they're now 9th in the West, 13th seed, with the Raptors, Boston, Knicks & Hawks all a half game back with them heading into the toughest part of their schedule. I realize you can't rule out Lebron & the leagues interest in keeping him in the playoff picture but that pick is looking top 10, lottery to me Pels might have 2 shots at another top 4 pick, with Zion & now Ingram also injured again, Hart & Naw in protocol, heading into another tough stretch of games.

Circumstances have them lotto, Pels somewhat healthy, without Zion. have shown to be both competitive & capable of playing 500 or better ball over their last 18 where Magic were the only team they faced in that stretch that were short handed due to protocols. With a rested/healthy Zion & potentially 2 top 10 picks/some luck/consolidation, next year looks promising for a quick turnaround. Pels could use a young cheap playmaking guard upgrade to replace the loss of Ball.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:28 am

Who knows, Pels get fortunate enough & like Jabari Smith atop this draft... considering the murmurs of Zion eventually wanting out, they could choose to draft a cheap healthy replacement PF & get a nice haul for Zion.. & have

Jonas/Willie/Jax
Lakers/No's pick top 4, Jabari Smith/Temple
Ingram/Herb
Hart/Naw
Lakers/NO's pick top 10, Washington/Graham

+ the return for Zion, a young proven player of choice, pick/s, rookie scale over max extension of a player that cannot remain on court for a healthy cap situation.

Would Cavs consider dealing Mobley/pick/s for Zion ? it would be my target. Mobley/Smith Pel front court with Jonas in the mix..

With some luck, landing top 4 opens many potential options for NO's
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 am

Whole Truth wrote:Who knows, Pels get fortunate enough & like Jabari Smith atop this draft... considering the murmurs of Zion eventually wanting out, they could choose to draft a cheap healthy replacement PF & get a nice haul for Zion.. & have

Jonas/Willie/Jax
Lakers/No's pick top 4, Jabari Smith/Temple
Ingram/Herb
Hart/Naw
Lakers/NO's pick top 10, Washington/Graham

+ the return for Zion, a young proven player of choice, pick/s, rookie scale over max extension of a player that cannot remain on court for a healthy cap situation.

Would Cavs consider dealing Mobley/pick/s for Zion ? it would be my target. Mobley/Smith Pel front court with Jonas in the mix..

With some luck, landing top 4 opens many potential options for NO's

I don't think the Cavs would consider moving Mobley right now especially with Zion having such an injury history. I do think NOP could get a great haul though it will mostly be pick based.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:28 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
I don't think the Cavs would consider moving Mobley right now especially with Zion having such an injury history. I do think NOP could get a great haul though it will mostly be pick based.

Pels will have to show that Zion is healthy first but I think these 2 teams make great trading partners all things considered.

Not trading Mobley for Zion, would be based on health concerns but talent wise, as good as Mobley is & can be, a healthy Zion propels that Cavs team into contention while Mobley would give NO's a reliable healthy talent to replace an often injured Zion who's expected to ask out when healthy.

LIke 3J, Zion has played 1 full season in 3yrs. Hopefully also like 3J, he's seemed to have found his stride in yr 4, possible after sitting out a full season to get fully healthy & in shape. I think it's something Cavs would/should have to seriously consider. No trade reward is without it's risk. The pause & doubt suggests a fair trade.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:14 am

Posters on the general board claimed LA were going into the toughest part of their schedule. They've just rattled off 5 straight wins against 5 teams that are no better than 2 games under 500. lol

The good news for Pels is 2.5 games still separate them from being the 10th seed with the outside chance of lotto luck.

The bad news, I watched them squeeze past Houston in part due to a late cal that also went to video reviewl where we know the league will do what they can to keep Lebron in the PO picture. They went to replay & completely ignored a James basket interference call in the final 2 minutes in what was then a 1 possession game, where this ignored call helped give them a 2 possession win against a bottom team in the league, which kicked off their current 5 game win streak.

If the last 4 games were officiated like the Houston game, glad I didn't watch that fake ****.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:51 am

Whole Truth wrote:Posters on the general board claimed LA were going into the toughest part of their schedule. They've just rattled off 5 straight wins against 5 teams that are no better than 2 games under 500. lol

The good news for Pels is 2.5 games still separate them from being the 10th seed with the outside chance of lotto luck.

The bad news, I watched them squeeze past Houston in part due to a late cal that also went to video reviewl where we know the league will do what they can to keep Lebron in the PO picture. They went to replay & completely ignored a James basket interference call in the final 2 minutes in what was then a 1 possession game, where this ignored call helped give them a 2 possession win against a bottom team in the league, which kicked off their current 5 game win streak.

If the last 4 games were officiated like the Houston game, glad I didn't watch that fake ****.

Part of the LAL push is that Malik Monk has caught fire and is finally giving Lebron some of the help he needs. But the middle of the West so so packed together it will take a while yet for it to really shake out and may not until the last couple games. Hopefully the Grizz pull out a win tomorrow night against the Lakers.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:13 am

Lakers just lost to the Kings, another sub 500 team. What's sad is the refs let them get way with murder & they still lost. They currently sit 21-21 tied for the 11th -15th pick, 3 games out of 10th seed, 4 games out of 8-9th seed, one of which is the Pels. Would love to see their improvement & trend knock LA out of the PO picture & into the top 10 of this draft.

Up coming schedule, Lakers will finally start facing some teams currently over 500 outside of Pacers/Magic in their next 8. After their last 8 was 6 teams sub 500.

Nuggets 20 - 18
Jazz 26 - 13 but will be without Gobert & are struggling.
Pacers 15 - 25
Orlando 7 - 34
Heat 25 - 15
Nets 25 - 13
Philly 22 - 16
Hornets 22 - 19
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#13 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:07 pm

Damn, came here to talk some **** about Zion in NY but sheesh, place is a ghost town

Might tell me kids it was rockin in the 90s
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Over their last 7 games, Lakers have faced 2 teams over 500, both losses, one of which was the 40pt blowout last night vs the Nuggest which now has the lakers a game under 500, 3.5 games separating them from being the 9th pick in this draft if a team like Atlanta could put it together 2nd half/post trade deadline.

How many games have Lakers won against teams over 500 this year ? from the looks of it, I'd imagine not many, if any at all.

Currently this pick is looking real good for Memphis with outside luck for NO's.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 pm

A Laker loss today against the Heat & ATL win against Charlotte would move the Lakers to 1.5 games out the 10th draft slot.

Their next 5 games being - Nets, Philly, Charlotte, Atlanta, Blazers.

Though they're possibly getting AD back for this stretch, he'll have to also find his game legs. If they struggle against the 500 teams with how they have played all season,, the last 2 matchups vs Atlanta & Portland could really move the needle on that pick seeding.

If a Heat win & Charlotte loss can pull the Lakers to within a game & half of being a top 10 pick, these next 5 games can be pivital. Get out your voodoo dolls NO's.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:15 am

Good night for NO's/Lakers pick - Heat win, Atlanta win, Minnesota on their way to a potential win.

Puts LA a half game up on the Clips for 11th pick, 1.5 games up on Atlanta for 10th pick & 2 games up on Portland for 9th pick, with NO;s also close by....

What's discouraging is the Heat absolutely dominated the Lakers tonight & should have won by 30+ pts but when up 26pts late 3rd, the refs took over. Heat wete put into the penalty early 4th & with an array of BS calls a 26pt lead turned into a 2 possession win. It;s clear by the way this game was officiated, the league wants to keep Lebron in the playoff picture ...

Nets up next, a chance for Atlanta to pull LA to within a half game of being a top 10 pick.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:32 pm

Since NO's 2-14 start integrating their roster. They've now gone 16-14 over their last 30 with Ingram also missing some games in that stretch. This is a potential PO team even without ZIon. Thay have this current team to start the year, it's not hard to imagine 4-6 additional wins (22-22) 500 record which they've been averaging over their last 30, with what has been a top 3 strength of schedule.

Portland & Hawks seem to also be putting it together. Got the rabbit foot out for all 3 teams to surpass the sub 500 Lakers. Not out of the realm of possibility with NO's heading into the softest part of their schedule & Lakers their hardest, though they're set to get AD back.

I don't wish bad on anyone but it's also not hard to imagine, 2nd half during the toughest part of their schedule, those minutes Lebron are currently playing againsst sub 500 teams for a sub 500 record, might come back to bite the them & the 37yo. AD no AD.

Unfortunately after watching the Heat lose their 26pt lead with ref interference, (early 4th quarter penalty trick to get a favored team on the line), can't rule them out as a factor in all this. Remember theoretically a ref can find a foul on almost every play with their subjectivity, 4 quick fouls at any point is game control, not to mention the FT discrepancy in a game Heat thoroughly dominated on both ends...

Early to keep the lead from expanding LA had a 16-4 FT advantage. Late to pull the game close from a late Heat 26 pt lead, LA were put into the bonus early along with some questionable calls, lived on the line post penalty..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 pm

That Philly game was infuriating to watch.

Outside of the cancelation & rescheduling favor given to Philly.

NO's 3rd stringers managed to carry an 8 pt lead into the half. The reason they couldn't get any momentum going 3rd Q is because after every bucket scored the refs were rewarding Embiid on the FT line just & unjust for 18-20 FT's by himself lol, most coming in that 3rd which prevented NO's from opening their 8pt lead, shifting momentum. Much like the Suns game earlier in the season where a 20 pt half time lead was cut with NO's not getting any calls while Suns got easy pts in the penalty to cut the lead to 10 where Paul took over in the 4th off that lead cut & momentum shift controlled by officiating.

Jonas gets hit in the head 3 times a game on average, he's atop the league in rebounding/offensive rebounding & he plays a very physical game but only averages 1 trip to the line a game because there's no flash to his clumbsy but efficient post game.

NBA slogan should be

NBA, where stars & superstars are manufactured.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 pm

If only Nets without Durant didn't lose to the Lakers (with Davis back). They'd be a half game out of being the 9th pick, tied for 10th. Davis is still not 100 so it's hard to tell but they still looked sub par with him.

After last night's games, Lakers are currently tied for 9th

- a half game out of being the 10th pick (Knicks/Minnesota)
- a gane & a half out of being the 9th pick (improving Hawks)
- 4 games up on (Portland) for the 8th pick.

In expecting the Clippers to eventually slide without their 2 stars. Minnesota remains a threat & Hawks are showing signs of life. The struggling Knicks become an x factor for NO's. Hopefully they fix their chemistry issues at the deadline.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 am

If not for the Nets losing without KD, Lakers would currently be 23-27, 4 games under 500 heading into the toughest part of their schedule.

They're 2 games under 500, a game up on the knicks for the 10th pick, tied with Atlanta for the 11th pick.

Lakers next match being Atlanta currently tied for the 11th pick,

Then surging Portland, who's currently, 2.5 games back, for the 9th pick.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans