Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#1 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Pelicans currently sit with the 7th pick in the draft & also own the Lakers pick, which currently sits Lotto, tied for the 12-13th pick. So they potentially have 2 top 10 picks to work with, maybe even top 4 if lady luck smiles on them.

Lakers pick is currently in place for lotto luck & potentially top 10 -

A half game up on Wizards for 11th pick
a game up on Knicks for 10th pick
2 games up on Portland for 9th pick

NO's sitting 7th, are currently in draft position to land IMO, the best PG in the draft, TY TY -

- Good defender with defensive awarness (Paired with Herb on the perimeter)
- capable 3pt shooter (37% on 3 APG)
- extremely quick in the open court, transition game, can push the pace
- solid mid range game
- knows how to get his teammates good looks, makes others better, can run the pnr
- Controls the pace of the game
- Competitve

Then the possibility exists Lakers land top 10 the way they're playing heading into the toughest part of their schedule, even with Davis back & if not top 10, they're in position to potentially give NO's 2 tickets to being top 4 with eiter or both. Where NO's can also in combination with drafting Ty TY lwith their current draft position, add a PF/C like Jabari Smith .

Ty TY / Herb / Ingram - (Smith, Zion, Jonas)

NO's luck into position to draft one of the bigs in this draft top 4, they basically land insurance to either Zion injury or wanting out.

My ideal sceanrio aside, this is meant to be a draft tracking thread. The forum is dead but if there's anyone interested in joining, the topic.

Who do you like ?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:36 pm

Considering Pelicans have shown with Jonas, Ingram & no Zion, they're capable of playing 500 or better in what hea been the 3rd strongest schedule to date. Their current 7th seeding is not indicative of the teams potential but a potential blessing.

Hopefuly they don't trade it for a 30yo, overpaid, one dimentional player in CJ as rumored.

To my OP, Imagine the potential of adding something like Zion, Smith, TY TY to what has shown to be a 500 team,.. A small FA signing or 2 to address the poor bench play, this team should be in the PO mix next yr, Zion or no Zion.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:43 pm

Draft prospect, PG, TY TY Washington.

6' 3", 185 lbs

Jan 18, 2022: Acclds
TyTy Washington named USBWA National Freshman of...

Jan 18, 2022: Acclds
TyTy Washington named CBS Sports Freshman of the...

Jan 17, 2022: Acclds
TyTy Washington named SEC Freshman of the Week

Jan 10, 2022: Acclds
TyTy Washington named SEC Freshman of the Week

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:49 pm

NO's looking for a defensive big man who can stretch the floor..

18yo Jabari Smith -

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Whether Zion is injured or wants out - Smith at PF next to Jonas at C..

Zion traded for a proven young player & multiple picks... I'm looking at Cavs & potentially using Zion to pry Mobley...

Zion would catapault Cavs into contention, while Mobley would give NO's some stability with upside. NO's just need to get Zion back on court to entice ..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:49 pm

The 22 draft looks to headline big men but in the 4-8 range where NO's currently sit there's some intriguing talent & fit.

NO's have enough draft capital to leap frog teams for their ideal fit it they happen to fall short..

I mentioned this in the trade board & will restate. If Pelicans can draft someone to fill their Defense - playmaking - shhoting hole in their guard position cheaply through the draft, in a range where they currently sit. They will have potentially 3 key players but only 2 max contracts, more pick capital & cap space to round out a core of say TY - Herb - BI - Zion - (Jonas)

Lakers lost to a crippled Clippers team last night with Davis playing in their rotation. If they fall or lady luck smiles on NO's where they land top 4 with that pick or their own they will have an opportunity to pick a skilled big man that they could pair next to Zion also on rookie scale & control

Jonas with 2yrs left helps NO's to develop the rookie big in that span - & a PG with all the tools around him including a system in place, will have a much easier time adjusting to his role..

Jonas - (Jabari Smith) - Hermangomez
Zion - (Jabari Smith) - Hayes
BI - Hart
Herb - NAW - Graham
(TY Washington) - Graham - Jose

Still have Lakers 23 right to swap, their 24 which looks like gold + Bucks picks to add quality depth & future consideration. Which will also help them manage their cap situation looking at Zions extension. Lucking into one of the bigmen in this draft will come like injury insurance..

Jonas
Smith - Lakers or NO's pick luck into the top 4
BI
Herb
TY - Realistic target range with NO's currently sitting 7th

Still looks good without the headliner while at the same time the skillsets to compliment.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:58 pm

To the few browsing if NO's are fortunate enough, is Jabari the best big man & or big man fit next to Zion in this draft or do you have someone else in this crop of big men ?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 4, 2022 8:24 pm

Lakers are currently a half game up on the Knicks for the 10th pick, tied with Washington for the 11th but Portland looks like they have decided to tank the year. If not for Portland tanking, LA would have won 1 game over their last 8 & already in possession of the 10th draft pick owed to NO's

All of NO's, Spurs & Kings are 6 games back of LA for the 9th seed & 1.5 games back of Portland, 10th seed.

NO's could get the 10th seed from Portland who has decided to tank & also be in position for the 9th pick in the draft if they fail to make the PO's. Resulting in 2 scenarios..

They win the play in, lose their pick to Charlotte & face the leagues best team

vs

They lose, get anywhere from 6-9 & draft their potential future PG on rookie scale & control. Set themselves up long term with a more healthy cap situation than if they trade for an ageing max contract.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 6:49 pm

Whole Truth wrote:To the few browsing if NO's are fortunate enough, is Jabari the best big man & or big man fit next to Zion in this draft or do you have someone else in this crop of big men ?

I dont think Jabari and Zion are a great fit. Jabari isnt really a 5, he seems to be a pretty strict 4 man. Same goes for Paolo. Chet has the best potential when it comes to fit with Zion, but that is with the hope that Chet puts on a significant amount of muscle. Because Chet is a good shot blocker and a good shooter. But at minimum it wont be for a few years until Chet could come close to handling playing the 5.

Im not the biggest TyTy fan. I think that would just be the Pels rehashing the same problem at the guard spot that they seem to keep doing. A guard that likes the ball in his hands, but looks to be score first and isnt great at running an offense and isnt a consistent shooter (NAW and Kira).

The issue with this class and the Pels is this. With the thought process of Zion and Ingram being the primary scorers and ball handlers. A more ball dominant scoring player probably isnt the best fit and having a guy that is a strict 4 isnt the best fit. Well those two things is kind of what this draft is filled up with.

Some guys that I would think might be a solid fit.

Bennedict Mathurin
AJ Griffin

Two guards with good size, athleticism, and good shooters. Bennedict is a a little further ahead with his on ball game than AJ, while AJ is the more consistent defender. But ya both should be able to contribute right away because of their shot and size/defense. With both having upside potential as on ball creators later down the road.

Patrick Baldwin is another guy I would keep an eye on. Having a bad and quiet year. But good size and a perfect shooting form. He maybe worth taking a gamble on.

Kendall Brown is also kind of a wildcard I would take a look at. Great size and elite athleticism for a perimeter player. Shows good potential with his passing (not consistent with it) and the shot needs some work. But could be an interesting project.

I think if the Pels can use FA to get a PG like Tyus Jones, that would be a far better option than reaching for one in this draft.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 7:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:To the few browsing if NO's are fortunate enough, is Jabari the best big man & or big man fit next to Zion in this draft or do you have someone else in this crop of big men ?

I dont think Jabari and Zion are a great fit. Jabari isnt really a 5, he seems to be a pretty strict 4 man. Same goes for Paolo. Chet has the best potential when it comes to fit with Zion, but that is with the hope that Chet puts on a significant amount of muscle. Because Chet is a good shot blocker and a good shooter. But at minimum it wont be for a few years until Chet could come close to handling playing the 5.

My comp for Smith is Jaren Jackson JR & like Chet I think he too can be moved from PF to C over time & with Jonas signed for the next couple seasons to bridge that gap both draftees are potential targets for NO's 22. However, I'm always weary of rail thin bigs in a physical league which is why my main not sole preference, is for Smith.

Chet does several things better than Smith like rebounding, blocking shots & even his efficiency from 3 is better though fewer attempts

3pt shooting

Chet - 46% from 3 on 3 APG
Smith - 40% from 3 on 5 APG
3J - college comp - 39% from 3 on 3 APG

Offensive/defensive rebounding

Chet - 1.7 ORB / 7.5 DRB - (26 mins)
Smith - .7 ORB / 6 DRB - (27mins)
3J - college comp - 1.5 ORB / 4.3 DRB - (22mins)

Blk'ed shots

Chet - 3.4 blks - (26mins)
Smith - 1.1 blks - (27mins)
3J - college comp - 3 blks (22 mins)

Note - 3J's foul trouble in the NBA was directly linked to his lack of strength, gambling on defense & his eagerness to block shots. Chet seems to compare close here whereas Smith at 18 doesn't bite like 3J & defends more with his feet/composed. Combined with his intensity/compete level.. he's also a key player on the best team in college.

With Zion's size, strength & post game, Smith IMO is one of the best stretch bigmen in the draft both in willingness, attempts & makes. (40% on 5 APG) Chet (46% on 3 APG). Offensively, It's not hard to imagine either being able to stretch the floor for Zion. Except I think Smith has a more natural propensity to play on the perimeter like 3J.

Coming back to Smith not being able to play the 5.. I don't know why you beleive that but I'll put this out. He's 18 & 6'10" younger than 3J was when he entered the NBA & just last season 3J had a growth spurt, where you can't rule out that Smith could still be growing & have another inch or 2.. Unfortunately I'm unaware of his wing span, which would be another factor to consider in his potential to play the 5..

When it comes down to it, all 3 mentioned could potentially fit with Zion. Curious as to why you think Smith can't be transitioned to the 5 ?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 8:08 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

My comp for Smith is Jaren Jackson JR & like Chet I think he too can be moved from PF to C over time & with Jonas signed for the next couple seasons to bridge that gap both draftees are potential targets for NO's 22. However, I'm always weary of rail thin bigs in a physical league which is why my main not sole preference, is for Smith.

Chet does several things better than Smith like rebounding, blocking shots & even his efficiency from 3 is better though fewer attempts

3pt shooting

Blk'ed shots

Note - 3J's foul trouble in the NBA was directly linked to his lack of strenth, gambling on defense & his eagerness to block shots. Chet seems to compare close here whereas Smith at 18 doesn't bite like 3J & defends more with his feet/composed. Combied with his intensity/compete level.. he's also a key player on the best team in college.

With Zion's size, strength & post game, Smith IMO is one of the best stretch bigmen in the draft both in willingness, attempts & makes. (40% on 5 APG) Chet (46% on 3 APG). Offensively, It's not hard to imagine either being able to stretch the floor for Zion. Except I think Smith has a more natural propensity to play on the perimeter like 3J.

Coming back to Smiths not being able to play the 5.. I don't know why you beleive that but I'll put this out. He's 18 & 6'10" younger than 3J was when he entered the NBA & just last season 3J had a growth spurt, where you can't rule out that Smith could still be growing & have another inch or 2.. Unfortunately I'm unaware of his wing span, which would be another factor to consider in his potential to play the 5..

When it comes down to it all 3 mentioned could potentially fit with Zion. Curious as to why you think Smith can't be transitioned to the 5 ?

I don't think he can play the 5 because he's not the defender JJJ was at the same stage and he's always been a perimeter player. I think he's closer to Rashard Lewis than he is JJJ.

Jabari like Paolo is benefiting greatly with playing alongside one of the best defensive players in the country.

I just wouldn't have any faith in a defense in the NBA where my front court is Ingram/Zion/Jabari. I'd much rather pair Zion up with a legit defensive 5 that has potential to being a floor spacer. Than trying to pair him with a finesse 4 that I'm trying to make into a 5.

Overall I just don't care that much about trying to pair Zion up with a super skilled 5. Give me Zion/Ingram/another capable ball handler/3pt shooter/ and a defensive big with potential to stretch the floor. That's plenty enough offense.

Paolo is showing just as much rim protection ability and is the much better rebounder and far far stronger than Jabari. Duke is as good of a defensive team as Auburn and they both ask to do the same thing defensively. But ya I wouldn't want to pair Paolo up with Zion either.

But ya overall I just think it's more important to get a good defensive 5 to go with Zion, instead of an offensive 4 that you're trying to turn into a 5.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 8:43 pm

Duke4life831 wrote: Im not the biggest TyTy fan. I think that would just be the Pels rehashing the same problem at the guard spot that they seem to keep doing. A guard that likes the ball in his hands, but looks to be score first and isnt great at running an offense and isnt a consistent shooter (NAW and Kira).

The issue with this class and the Pels is this. With the thought process of Zion and Ingram being the primary scorers and ball handlers.
A more ball dominant scoring player probably isnt the best fit and having a guy that is a strict 4 isnt the best fit. Well those two things is kind of what this draft is filled up with.

TY like Smith, I'm projecting their skillset & usage. Not what it currently is or appears to be.

Good size for a PG
Quick gaurd - transition game / push pace
3pt shooting - "capable" of spacing / playing off ball
Good defender / defensive awarensess - paired with Herb, would improve Pels perimeter D over targeting CJ on a max contract.
Passing - knows how to draw defenders & create space, he's not just hitting an open target. - "capable" passer/pnr game
He can control pace - Speed / Shiftinees
Potential - 3 level scorer, who can defend his position

Pels aren't going to get the perfect piece but IMO his "skillset" fits. If the front office thinks Greene can get Fox to buy into playing a more off ball role after yrs of success in the NBA, wouldn't it be a much easier ask to mold a young player that has yet to find success & wants playing time vs Fox on a max contract & not being able to justify his benching. Not to mention, not giving up the farm for a max player be it Fox or CJ with the exact same issue or lack of defense that caps out the team from bolstering it's depth with 3 max contracts after Zion is extended over rookie scale & control.

I agree TY is not the ideal fit but his skillset IMO does fit if he can be molded. It's not as though I reached for the fit either, TY is projected in NO's current draft range. With Herb-BI-ZION taking the 2-4, NO's could go with a combo guard if not the only PG in their range but that is assuming a "healthy" Zion being point. otherwise they'll still be lacking the necessary playmaking, ball safety & control of pace.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 8:51 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote: Im not the biggest TyTy fan. I think that would just be the Pels rehashing the same problem at the guard spot that they seem to keep doing. A guard that likes the ball in his hands, but looks to be score first and isnt great at running an offense and isnt a consistent shooter (NAW and Kira).

The issue with this class and the Pels is this. With the thought process of Zion and Ingram being the primary scorers and ball handlers.
A more ball dominant scoring player probably isnt the best fit and having a guy that is a strict 4 isnt the best fit. Well those two things is kind of what this draft is filled up with.

TY like Smith, I'm projecting their skillset & usage. Not what it currently is or appears to be.

Good size for a PG
Good defender / defensive awarensess - paired with Herb, would improve Pels perimeter D over targeting CJ on a max contract.
Passing - knows how to draw defenders & create space, he's not just hitting an open target. - "capable" passer/pnr game

Pels aren't going to get the perfect piece but IMO his "skillset" fits. If the front office thinks Greene can get Fox to buy into playing a more off ball role after yrs of success in the NBA, wouldn't it be a much easier ask to mold a young player that has yet to find success & wants playing time vs Fox on a max contract & not being able to justify his benching. Not to mention, not giving up the farm for a max player be it Fox or CJ with the exact same issue or lack of defense that caps out the team from bolstering it's depth with 3 max contracts after Zion is extended over rookie scale & control.

I agree TY is not the ideal fit but his skillset IMO does fit if he can be molded. It's not as though I reached for the fit either, TY is projected in NO's current draft range. With Herb-BI-ZION taking the 2-4, NO's could go with a combo guard if not the only PG in their range but that is assuming a "healthy" Zion being point. otherwise they'll still be lacking the necessary playmaking, ball safety & control of pace.

I totally get what you're saying. I'm just saying if I'm the Pels, I'm done waisting a 1st round pick trying to mold a guard into what they need. They tried that road with NAW and Kira and both are looking like mistakes.

Ty to me is another combo guard/score first PG that is an okay shooter, okayish defender, okay offensive facilitator, and so on. They just went that route with NAW and Kira already.

I'd just much rather them go the route of getting a 2 guard that score. Whether that be AJ, Bennedict, Davis, or so on. I think there are plenty of those kinds of guys in this draft to choose from and I think they all can fit with what the Pels are doing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 8:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I dont think Jabari and Zion are a great fit. Jabari isnt really a 5, he seems to be a pretty strict 4 man. Same goes for Paolo. Chet has the best potential when it comes to fit with Zion, but that is with the hope that Chet puts on a significant amount of muscle. Because Chet is a good shot blocker and a good shooter. But at minimum it wont be for a few years until Chet could come close to handling playing the 5.

3pt shooting

Blk'ed shots

Note - 3J's foul trouble in the NBA was directly linked to his lack of strenth, gambling on defense & his eagerness to block shots. Chet seems to compare close here whereas Smith at 18 doesn't bite like 3J & defends more with his feet/composed. Combied with his intensity/compete level.. he's also a key player on the best team in college.

Coming back to Smiths not being able to play the 5.. I don't know why you beleive that but I'll put this out. He's 18 & 6'10" younger than 3J was when he entered the NBA & just last season 3J had a growth spurt, where you can't rule out that Smith could still be growing & have another inch or 2.. Unfortunately I'm unaware of his wing span, which would be another factor to consider in his potential to play the 5..

When it comes down to it all 3 mentioned could potentially fit with Zion. Curious as to why you think Smith can't be transitioned to the 5 ?

I don't think he can play the 5 because he's not the defender JJJ was at the same stage and he's always been a perimeter player. I think he's closer to Rashard Lewis than he is JJJ.

Jabari like Paolo is benefiting greatly with playing alongside one of the best defensive players in the country.

I just wouldn't have any faith in a defense in the NBA where my front court is Ingram/Zion/Jabari. I'd much rather pair Zion up with a legit defensive 5 that has potential to being a floor spacer. Than trying to pair him with a finesse 4 that I'm trying to make into a 5.

Overall I just don't care that much about trying to pair Zion up with a super skilled 5. Give me Zion/Ingram/another capable ball handler/3pt shooter/ and a defensive big with potential to stretch the floor. That's plenty enough offense.

Paolo is showing just as much rim protection ability and is the much better rebounder and far far stronger than Jabari. Duke is as good of a defensive team as Auburn and they both ask to do the same thing defensively. But ya I wouldn't want to pair Paolo up with Zion either.

But ya overall I just think it's more important to get a good defensive 5 to go with Zion, instead of an offensive 4 that you're trying to turn into a 5.

I'm not much of a stat person. You have Smith's advanced defensive #'s in comparison ?

I don't think he's an offensive player only nor do I have him projected to be.

He's also a year younger than 3J, who was getting less minutes because of his foul rate./aggression from a lack of maturity that continued 3yrs into his pro career.

Great posts though, thanks for the input.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:02 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Good size for a PG

I totally get what you're saying. I'm just saying if I'm the Pels, I'm done waisting a 1st round pick trying to mold a guard into what they need. They tried that road with NAW and Kira and both are looking like mistakes.

Ty to me is another combo guard/score first PG that is an okay shooter, okayish defender, okay offensive facilitator, and so on. They just went that route with NAW and Kira already.

I'd just much rather them go the route of getting a 2 guard that score. Whether that be AJ, Bennedict, Davis, or so on. I think there are plenty of those kinds of guys in this draft to choose from and I think they all can fit with what the Pels are doing.

IMO Drafting is not an exact science, it's educated guessing & projection, especially for teams looking for upside over a higher floor, which is also no guarantee.

I wish TY was hitting his 3's at a better rate but with all things considered. IMO, It's the better long term move potentially striking out on him which I don't think they will, than trading for either max contract player they've been linked too with similar or greater risk.

For an example hypothetical.. if NAW was better at finishing at the rim & on higher usage .. How different would he be from a maxed out FOX ?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:10 pm

Of your suggestions Duke - I also like Bennedict Mathurin
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:15 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

3pt shooting

Blk'ed shots

I'm not much of a stat person. You have Smith's advanced defensive #'s in comparison ?

I don't think he's an offensive player only nor do I have him projected to be.

He's also a year younger than 3J, who was getting less minutes because of his foul rate./aggression from a lack of maturity that continued 3yrs into his pro career.

Great posts though, thanks for the input.

Jabari is actually older than JJJ (comparing them as freshman). JJJ was 18 on draft night and turned 19 that September. Jabari is going to turn 19 prior to draft night.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of individual advanced numbers in college. Just a ton of noise with the amount of bad opposition teams play to start the year. But some of the basic ones and I pay far more attention to conference numbers than full season (that eliminates a good amount of the trash games on the schedule)

DBPM (full season, no conference numbers on these yet)
Jabari: 3.8
Paolo: 3.1

DWS
Jabari: 0.5
Paolo: 0.8

Defensive Rating:
Jabari: 97.3 3rd best on Auburn
Paolo: 93.9. 2nd best on Duke (for normal rotation players)

Honestly don't think there is a big gap between them defensively. Again I honestly think it's tough to get a great read on either one, because Paolo gets to play alongside Mark Williams and Jabari gets to play alongside Walker Kessler. Those two are the best rim protectors in college and arguably the two best defensive bigs in college ball.

So defensively both get asked to do pretty little on that end and have elite support behind them.

With that said, I think Jabari is the slightly better defender. But I think that gap is pretty marginal. And again neither one has shown anything which would want me to put them at the 5 in the NBA. Like if anything I few them similar to Zion where I think their best fit would be to play alongside a defensive big, like how they're currently being used right now. And neither one has really shown any flashes of potential in that department as well.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Road to a Championship start he yare, 2022 Draft. 

Post#18 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:20 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Of your suggestions Duke - I also like Bennedict Mathurin

Ya I would like the Bennedict fit a lot. Again I think that is where I would be looking at with this draft. I think Bennedict and AJ would be ideal fits. Both with really good size for the 2 and both are good shooters. I think AJ is the better defender at the moment, while Bennedict is a little more advanced on ball compared to AJ.

I think just overall there are a good amount of 2 guards with good size and reasonable skill sets. That would be the way I would be looking if I was Griffin and this front office.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Good size for a PG

IMO Drafting is not an exact science, it's educated guessing & projection, especially for teams looking for upside over a higher floor, which is also no guarantee.

I wish TY was hitting his 3's at a better rate but with all things considered. IMO, It's the better long term move potentially striking out on him which I don't think they will, than trading for either max contract player they've been linked too with similar or greater risk.

For an example hypothetical.. if NAW was better at finishing at the rim & on higher usage .. How different would he be from a maxed out FOX ?

Ya that's the thing with Ty. If he was a knock down shooter or on another level when it comes to running an offense. I would be all for that pick for the Pels.

But with NAW and Kira already on the roster and with this draft being much more loaded with 2 guards and the team also needing a starting 2. I just don't see going with Ty. I think there are better 2 guards then Ty is at the PG spot, who I think will be available (like our separate Bennedict convo haha).

I think Fox is more dynamic than NAW off the dribble. Fox for all his warts, he still is blazing fast. And because of that he can get to the line a lot more than NAW can. NAW is much more of a methodical driver than Fox. Fox is more efficient in the middle areas as well.

But with that said, I'm not fan of either of these guys alongside Zion and Ingram.

Zion showed last year he could handle a bigger on ball role. While the 2nd half so far this season, once they realized the starting backcourt of NAW and Graham isn't a NBA quality backcourt. They've essentially just handed over primary ball handler and offensive runner to BI and he's been great. He's averaging 6.5 assists to just 2 turnovers his last 22 games. And the shorter you make that sample the better (8 assists to 2 turnovers over his last 8 games).

If I'm the Pels at the moment, I'm looking at 3 kinds of players for that PG spot.

1. A truly dynamic offense runner. Even with how good Ingram and Zion have looked on ball the last year and a half, you don't turn down a guy that is elite at running an offense.

2. A smart low volume PG. Like a Lonzo or like a Tyus Jones. Someone who doesn't dominate the ball and Ingram and Zion can be the primary on ball guys. But when the PG does touch it, he makes the smart quick decisions and is capable of running the offense when needed

3. Just a good 3&D guy.

That's pretty much what I would be looking for, for when it comes to the PG spot for the Pels for the starting line up.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Re: Road to a Championship start he yare, 2022 Draft. 

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:46 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Of your suggestions Duke - I also like Bennedict Mathurin

Ya I would like the Bennedict fit a lot. Again I think that is where I would be looking at with this draft. I think Bennedict and AJ would be ideal fits. Both with really good size for the 2 and both are good shooters. I think AJ is the better defender at the moment, while Bennedict is a little more advanced on ball compared to AJ.

I think just overall there are a good amount of 2 guards with good size and reasonable skill sets. That would be the way I would be looking if I was Griffin and this front office.

Agree,

However, If I'm NO's management, I build off the coaches philosophy than an often injured players talent & skillset. Catering & trying to apease never works & if the slight chance it does, it's not sustainable.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans