Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#241 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:52 am

Duke4life831 wrote:BI with a bad shooting night, but good turnaround game defensively for him compared to game 5. Also love that he brought the facilitating, best way to still make an impact even when your shot isnt falling.

CJ was just bad this series, really no way around it.

But overall cant complain from the Pels view. BI stepped up big time in huge moments. You know you got a legit coach in Willie. You know you found a couple diamond in the roughs with Herb and Jose. Definitely a positive season for them. Im sure if you told people before the season that Zion wouldnt play a single minute and you make the playoffs and take the #1 seed to a super tight 6 games. The majority of people would take that.

I knew NO's were in trouble when the refs called 3 consecutive offensive TO's on handoffs to start the 3rd with Paul cooking. lol

Paul was awesome but this is not true competition, it's manipulated BS. Sure enough they weren't goint to call the Paul Elbow that put them up 3 in the dying minutes, a play Herb was ejected for in the Cats game with Miles leaning in & Herb going up in a natural shooting motion, where here Pauls elbow kicked backwards in a non natural shooting motion busting Alvarado's lip.

Refs knew he committed what's constitutes a flagrant foul in todays NBA, Alvarado could have shown Silver self, he wouldn't care. To bad the challenge was burned but they shouldm't have had to challenge that.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#242 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:29 pm

Just saw the refs explanation on the potential Paul flagrant. He said, he "THOUGHT" Alvarado was leaning in... With a bust lip & broken tooth, they saw no reason to even review the call, more less call it, lol

If Pelicans fans can remember when the league was trying to get Lakers in. Herb was fouled out with a flagrant 2 because Miles Bridges reached in to try to steal the ball on his transition layup, they actually went to review & ejected Herb on Miles reach because he got caught with the elbow on Herbs layup motion. Here' there was no "THOUGHT" Miles actually did & it was reviewed.

Paul kicked his elbow back as to shrug off the contact, it was not a normal shooting motion like Herb's was, Alvarado was not leaning in trying to steal the ball like Miles was, yet Herb's call was a flagrant 2 when LA still had chance to make the PO's, while Pauls was 2 FT's. Where a flagrant 1 assesment at least here did 2 things..

1, Allow NO's to go up with 1 minutre remaining & get the ball back.
2, With Paul picking up a flragrant on Alvarado for kicking him in the groin the previous game, a game 7 suspension.

I'd like to let people know what "intent" & proof of bias looks like. Not only was the game stolen on that call. Paul would have been out for game 7, more less if they deemed it a flagrant 2 like they did on Herb & ejecect Paul for the final minute.

They knew very well why they didn't even bother to review the play more less make the call.

I know my team is fouling to play physical defense but look at how many FT's you gave them, reeeeeee, LMAO.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#243 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Props to Green & the young team for your showing, ya'll really deserved better but it is what it is.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#244 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:15 pm

The L2M report confirms the Pelicans game 6 & season was decided on an intentional blown call. How can I say intentional ?.

With a busted lip & broken tooth, which Jose showed the ref, they saw no reason to even review the obvious. There was clear evidence of head contact which should have been reviewed regardless of what the official "THOUGHT". lol

You know why nothing happened to this official that purposely blew the call & stole a season from a team that worked hard to be there ?

NBA games are manipulated.

Don't get me started on the 6 offensive calls on the Pels to start the 3rd where Suns didn't have to play any defense to turn the ball over & erase a 10pt deficit that could have ballooned. Imagine being called for 3 offensive fouls on handoffs in a short time span where Suns closed the 10pt deficit but in no other time in the game, lol. There was no denying Paul was cooking on the other end & with that, comes justification for some. Justification = (The reason Suns came back was because Paul was cooking, which he was, not that the officials were cheaply turning over the Pels, which they were).

NBA is a popularity contest, this is why Superstar calls & rookie calls exist, not the rule of the book

I am sure alot of casuals want to see a Curry, Paul WCF's, am I right Silver..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#245 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:06 pm

Pels offseason

1, Zion extension

Stipulate according to medical staff & nutritionist weight control. Zion must meet realistic weight gaols each yr even if it's an increasing goal. He fails to meet the weight goal, a fine for each pound he exceeds it. If in 2yrs, he's either or both overweight & injured, not a team option but a team right to terminate the agreement because he has not met expectations. If by yr 3 the team has no need to exercise the termination clause, he will be worth a 5yr player option.

2, Draft

Pending luck, I have Chet, Smith, Shaedon as the teams top 4 candidates. Mathurin, Griffin, Davis top 8

3, Trade

No forced trades but Hayes, Graham & Kira open to trade pending.

(Hayes, Graham, Bucks FRP for Derrick Rose) Veteran PG, sheds a yr off Grahams contract, avoids Hayes extension*& opens a roster spot. Rose adding potential stability & insurance to the open guard spot.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#246 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 1, 2022 5:21 pm

2 FT's for Paul with Jose not reaching in.

Flagrant 2 ejection for Herb with Miles reaching in.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,641

Post#247 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 3, 2022 2:43 am

Watching Dallas play PHX right now, the Pels really do need a big man that can spread the floor. Just watching how different the Suns have to defend a screen is night and day.

When BI would have JV set a screen, PHX would just do a hard hedge and Ayton would rarely get switched onto BI. PHX didnt take any of the Pels bigs serious enough as shooters so they could just blitz the screen and give Bridges or Crowder enough time to fight through it.

The second Dallas brought in Maxi, they tried to do the same multiple times and Maxi burned them with open 3s. Then after a couple made 3s, they had to go away from that kind of defense and went to just having to switch every time and that put Ayton on Luka every time. That really opened up the floor and Luka was able to attack and blow by Ayton for an easy score or dish to the open guy on the perimeter. Then when Powell comes in, you see they dont automatically switch. Its back to Bridges/Crowder fighting through the screen. Just like how they treated every screen against the Pels.

This was really missing for the Pels offense. Adding more perimeter shooters and a big that is a legit shooter really opens up possibilities on the offense.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#248 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 4:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Watching Dallas play PHX right now, the Pels really do need a big man that can spread the floor. Just watching how different the Suns have to defend a screen is night and day.

When BI would have JV set a screen, PHX would just do a hard hedge and Ayton would rarely get switched onto BI. PHX didnt take any of the Pels bigs serious enough as shooters so they could just blitz the screen and give Bridges or Crowder enough time to fight through it.

The second Dallas brought in Maxi, they tried to do the same multiple times and Maxi burned them with open 3s. Then after a couple made 3s, they had to go away from that kind of defense and went to just having to switch every time and that put Ayton on Luka every time. That really opened up the floor and Luka was able to attack and blow by Ayton for an easy score or dish to the open guy on the perimeter. Then when Powell comes in, you see they dont automatically switch. Its back to Bridges/Crowder fighting through the screen. Just like how they treated every screen against the Pels.

This was really missing for the Pels offense. Adding more perimeter shooters and a big that is a legit shooter really opens up possibilities on the offense.

Would be nice to luck into Jabari Smith. IMO Perfect fit & future solution for this team when Jonas expires in 2yrs.

At 18, 6'10", he has both the size, length & projected strength base to play in the post, the lateral speed, quickness & versatility to guard perimeter to post, along with his natural instinct to be more perimeter oriented offensively next to Zion's post game. Where he's more of a pop option than roll option

Jonas takes the physical grind of the season
Nace small ball 5
Depth - Hermangomez

Jonas 2yr contract = development & transition gap of Smith from PF to C as Memphis did with 3J.

I'm ahead on this. NO's just need some lotto luck if they can't manage to alternatively trade up with some combination of FRP's.

Time to get the Rabbit foot out for the draft.

More direct to your point, Nance should have been an equivelent solution but he shot 22% on 1.5 apg for the series, where he's otherwise generally a viable threat who shot below his average still most likely working his way back into full game shape.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#249 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 3, 2022 4:40 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Watching Dallas play PHX right now, the Pels really do need a big man that can spread the floor. Just watching how different the Suns have to defend a screen is night and day.

Would be nice to luck into Jabari Smith. IMO Perfect fit & future solution for this team when Jonas expires in 2yrs.

At 18, 6'10", he has both the size, length & eventual strength to play in the post, the lateral speed, quickness & versatility to guards the perimeter to post, along with his natural instinct to be more perimeter oriented offensively next to Zion's post game. Where he's more of a pop option than roll option

Nace small ball 5
Depth - Hermangomez

Development & transition of Smith from PF to C as Memphis did with 3J.

I'm ahead on this. NO's just need some lotto luck if they can't manage to alternatively trade up with some combination of FRP's.

Im still pretty hesitant on Jabari ever being a full time 5. He isnt all that crazy long with just a 7'1 wingspan. And he really didnt flash all that much as a rim protector in college. I think same as Paolo who had Mark Williams erasing any mistakes, Jabari had a massive benefit playing alongside the NDPOY chilling in the paint to erase any mistakes.

I just think there is a big gap between someone say like a Jabari Smith and a Jaren Jackson. Jackson has 4+ inches on the wingspan, his BLK% in college was 15.5 in conference play compared to Jabari's 3.6. And even Memphis seems pretty hesitant on playing Jackson full time at the 5.

Offensively I love the fit, Im still pretty hesitant on the idea of him being a full time 5 though. Not something I would be feeling great about putting all my eggs in that basket. Just watched a good amount of him in high school and all his games at Auburn, haven't seen any signs of him being able to play big minutes at the 5 in the NBA. Just has never been his game.

I think with Zion saying he wants to resign, if the Pels get some luck in the lotto and end up with a top 3 pick. I think it would be best for them to trade that pick for a player. Or if they're going the route of taking one of these guys to be their 5 long term. I would much rather take the chance of Chet bulking up.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#250 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 4:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

At 18, 6'10", he has both the size, length & eventual strength to play in the post, the lateral speed, quickness & versatility to guards the perimeter to post, along with his natural instinct to be more perimeter oriented offensively next to Zion's post game. Where he's more of a pop option than roll option

Nace small ball 5
Depth - Hermangomez

Im still pretty hesitant on Jabari ever being a full time 5. He isnt all that crazy long with just a 7'1 wingspan. And he really didnt flash all that much as a rim protector in college. I think same as Paolo who had Mark Williams erasing any mistakes, Jabari had a massive benefit playing alongside the NDPOY chilling in the paint to erase any mistakes.

I just think there is a big gap between someone say like a Jabari Smith and a Jaren Jackson. Jackson has 4+ inches on the wingspan, his BLK% in college was 15.5 in conference play compared to Jabari's 3.6. And even Memphis seems pretty hesitant on playing Jackson full time at the 5.

Offensively I love the fit, Im still pretty hesitant on the idea of him being a full time 5 though. Not something I would be feeling great about putting all my eggs in that basket. Just watched a good amount of him in high school and all his games at Auburn, haven't seen any signs of him being able to play big minutes at the 5 in the NBA. Just has never been his game.

I think with Zion saying he wants to resign, if the Pels get some luck in the lotto and end up with a top 3 pick. I think it would be best for them to trade that pick for a player. Or if they're going the route of taking one of these guys to be their 5 long term. I would much rather take the chance of Chet bulking up.

Look at 3J's first couple season in the NBA ... foul prone & couldn't rebound the ball. Snith is 18.. of course this is projection & I understand if your projection is different. I don't have any inside track to the future..

Jonas was traded for Adams for him to take that physical grunt work as Jonas did. They sacrificed some of what Jonas did better to get their wing of the future with Jonas on a different timeline. This is 3J's 4ht yr in the league & mostly because of injury set back they're only now starting to reap the benefit of his transition to C.

Much like Zion, 3J missed nearly 2 of his first 3 seasons & development process due to injury.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#251 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 4:53 pm

I had 3J in the Ayton draft... He's my comparison baseline for Smith but I think Smith at the same point is more prohectable to being a future C than 3J was.

I also had Clarke for Memphis as a late lotto pick & the talking pont then was his short wing span... He's currently playing effective C for them in the 2nd round of the PO's. What he lacked in length, he made up for in athleticism.

Though 3J is longer, I think Smith is togher than 3J both mentally & physically.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#252 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 3, 2022 5:12 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Nace small ball 5
Depth - Hermangomez

Look at 3J's first couple season in the NBA ... foul prone & couldn't rebound the ball. Snith is 18.. of course this is projection & I understand if your projection is different. I don't have any inside track to the future..

Jonas was traded for Adams for him to take that physical grunt work as Jonas did. They sacrificed some of what Jonas did better to get their wing of the future with Jonas on a different timeline. This is 3J's 4ht yr in the league & mostly because of injury set back they're only now starting to reap the benefit of his transition to C.

Much like Zion, 3J missed nearly 2 of his first 3 seasons & development process due to injury.

Ya but again JJJ has the significant length advantage and has always been the far superior rim protector.

Just doing a quick run through of all the main starting 5s in the league this year. I would say only Dwight Powell would be a guy I would've said Id like less than Jabari for a chance of being a full time 5 in the league. Everyone else either played the 5 in college and was good in that position, or played the 4 but showed a higher level of rim protection or had better measurable than Jabari.

Again just for me the combination of eye test, plus measurables, plus rebounding and rim protection numbers. I just dont see much projection as a full time NBA 5.

Like you said neither of us have any inside track to the future and this is just projection from a couple fans sitting on their sofas haha. Just with the thought process of having 3 of the 4 perimeter positions locked up with BI/Zion/Herb. I wouldnt feel great using a top 4 pick with the hope Jabari can turn himself into a full time 5, even though he really has shown zero signs of that so far.

Hell I wont lie, I would be more open to the idea of making Jabari that 4th perimeter player than hoping he can become the full time 5. And in all honesty, if Zion could ever get back into Duke shape I wouldnt be against the idea.

BI
Herb
Jabari
Zion
A defensive big

Take the Suns team for example. Their 3/4 is Bridges and Crowder. Jabari moves his feet well enough out on the perimeter defensively he could keep a guy like Bridges in front of him. And Zion even in his shape from last year can keep up with Crowder. Im much higher on Jabari's perimeter defensive potential which would be more of a 4/3, than his interior defensive potential and him being a 5. I think Jabari has just as high of a perimeter defensive potential as say Trey Murphy.

Then have your versatile defensive guys like Alvarado for the quick PGs, Nance as the athletic versatile small big, Murphy as another long wing. Then trade for a good catch and shoot guard to come off the bench. Id sign up for that.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#253 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 5:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya but again JJJ has the significant length advantage and has always been the far superior rim protector.

Just doing a quick run through of all the main starting 5s in the league this year. I would say only Dwight Powell would be a guy I would've said Id like less than Jabari for a chance of being a full time 5 in the league. Everyone else either played the 5 in college and was good in that position, or played the 4 but showed a higher level of rim protection or had better measurable than Jabari.

Again just for me the combination of eye test, plus measurables, plus rebounding and rim protection numbers. I just dont see much projection as a full time NBA 5.

Like you said neither of us have any inside track to the future and this is just projection from a couple fans sitting on their sofas haha. Just with the thought process of having 3 of the 4 perimeter positions locked up with BI/Zion/Herb. I wouldnt feel great using a top 4 pick with the hope Jabari can turn himself into a full time 5, even though he really has shown zero signs of that so far.

Hell I wont lie, I would be more open to the idea of making Jabari that 4th perimeter player than hoping he can become the full time 5. And in all honesty, if Zion could ever get back into Duke shape I wouldnt be against the idea.

BI
Herb
Jabari
Zion
A defensive big

Take the Suns team for example. Their 3/4 is Bridges and Crowder. Jabari moves his feet well enough out on the perimeter defensively he could keep a guy like Bridges in front of him. And Zion even in his shape from last year can keep up with Crowder. Im much higher on Jabari's perimeter defensive potential which would be more of a 4/3, than his interior defensive potential and him being a 5. I think Jabari has just as high of a perimeter defensive potential as say Trey Murphy.

Then have your versatile defensive guys like Alvarado for the quick PGs, Nance as the athletic versatile small big, Murphy as another long wing. Then trade for a good catch and shoot guard to come off the bench. Id sign up for that.

3J fouls excessively,. His aggression & high foul rate ties into his shot blocking & rim protection. He's still 4yrs in & overly aggressive when he doesn't need to be. BBIQ, positioning & timing factor in, Smith will improve in these areas with experience & guidance considering he's 18 & played more meanigful minutes than 3J did in college because he's not foul prone. He has the size & projected strength to play the position. 3J is not a tough minded player, he's also a little soft physically which is why Memphs took Adams & his bloated salary in the swap for Jonas to land their wing of the future. (3J's physicality, fouling & rebounding issues). Smith on the other hand welcomes the defensive challenge & is stronger minded. He's also not fouling excessively that he was a key component on his team in college.

3J also grew after entering the NBA, which looking at the youth in Smith's body ... a possibility for him too considering he's just 18.

His perimeter D, toughness & frame, is why I have him better projected to transition to C, the same base reason for liking 3J in the Ayton draft. NO's make that transition, he's a perfect offensive & defensive fit next to Zion because his offensive game gravitates to the perimeter similar to 3J.

Only time will tell, call it blind faith but I think he's it for NO's at C.

If he's not what I think he is, then he's the 3&D 6'10" SF/PF you project him to be. I don't see how they don't take the risk.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#254 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 3, 2022 6:24 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

BI
Herb
Jabari
Zion
A defensive big

3J fouls excessively,. His aggression & high foul rate ties into his shot blocking & rim protection. He's still 4yrs in & overly aggressive when he doesn't need to be. BBIQ, positioning & timing factor in, Smith will improve in these areas with experience & guidance considering he's 18 & played more meanigful minutes than 3J did in college because he's not foul prone. He has the size & projected strength to play the position. 3J is not a tough minded player, he's also a little soft physically which is why Memphs took Adams & his bloated salary in the swap for Jonas to land their wing of the future. (3J's physicality, fouling & rebounding issues). Smith on the other hand welcomes the defensive challenge & is stronger minded. He's also not fouling excessively that he was a key component on his team in college.

3J also grew after entering the NBA, which looking at the youth in Smith's body ... a possibility for him too considering he's just 18.

His perimeter D, toughness & frame, is why I have him better projected to transition to C, the same base reason for liking 3J in the Ayton draft. NO's make that transition, he's a perfect offensive & defensive fit next to Zion because his offensive game gravitates to the perimeter similar to 3J.

If he's not what I think he is, then he's the 3&D 6'10" SF/PF you project him to be. I don't see how they don't take the risk.

Again my thing though is, JJJ has always been that rim protector. That has always been his game, even if it comes with his high foul rate.

And again just a few comparisons to show where Jabari stands when it comes to his TRB% and BLK%

Jabari (6'10, 7'1 wingspan):
11.7 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

Wings:
Spoiler:
Brandon Ingram (6'8, 7'3 wingspan):
11.5 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

Paul George (6'8, 7' wingspan):
12.8 TRB%, 2.9 BLK%

Jayson Tatum (6'8, 6'11 wingspan)"
12.6 TRB%, 2.7 BLK%

Andrew Wiggins (6'8, 7' wingspan):
11.4 TRB%, 3.1 BLK%

Bigs (skinny sub 7 foot bigs):
Spoiler:
Myles Turner (6'11, 7'4 wingspan):
15.5 TRB%, 12.5 BLK%

JJJ (6'11, 7'5 wingspan):
12.5 TRB%, 15.5 BLK%

Anthony Davis (6'10, 7'5 wingspan):
19 TRB%, 13.7 BLK%

Evan Mobley (6'11, 7'5 wingspan):
20.7 TRB%, 8.7 BLK%

Bam (6'9, 7'3 wingspan):
14.2 TRB%, 4.9 BLK%

This to me goes hand in hand with the eye test. Which to me points to Jabari being much more of a perimeter defender, than being a rim protecting 5. And ya if the Pels get lucky and Chet or Jabari is sitting there (I wouldnt take Sharpe that high). Id probably look to trade it for a good vet player that fits. But if they cant get good value in return, ya I would take Jabari with the idea of going with a massive perimeter and him and Zion both being a 3/4, than going with the idea of him playing the 5. Or if Jabari is gone and Chet is there, I would take him with the hope that within a couple years he will have put on some weight and could handle minutes at the 5.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#255 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 7:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Ya but again JJJ has the significant length advantage and has always been the far superior rim protector.

BI
Herb
Jabari
Zion
A defensive big

Again my thing though is, JJJ has always been that rim protector. That has always been his game, even if it comes with his high foul rate.

And again just a few comparisons to show where Jabari stands when it comes to his TRB% and BLK%

11.7 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

Wings:
Spoiler:
11.5 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

12.8 TRB%, 2.9 BLK%

12.6 TRB%, 2.7 BLK%

11.4 TRB%, 3.1 BLK%

Spoiler:
15.5 TRB%, 12.5 BLK%

12.5 TRB%, 15.5 BLK%

19 TRB%, 13.7 BLK%

20.7 TRB%, 8.7 BLK%

Bam (6'9, 7'3 wingspan):
14.2 TRB%, 4.9 BLK%

This to me goes hand in hand with the eye test. Which to me points to Jabari being much more of a perimeter defender, than being a rim protecting 5. And ya if the Pels get lucky and Chet or Jabari is sitting there (I wouldnt take Sharpe that high). Id probably look to trade it for a good vet player that fits. But if they cant get good value in return, ya I would take Jabari with the idea of going with a massive perimeter and him and Zion both being a 3/4, than going with the idea of him playing the 5. Or if Jabari is gone and Chet is there, I would take him with the hope that within a couple years he will have put on some weight and could handle minutes at the 5.

You're dealing in the 4" wing span difference, overall length, listing 3 of the best defensive big men in the league as reference. I'm dealing in his mental makeup & frame, not just his length, which IMO, is adequate length.

Anthony Davis is an ideal 5 physically but he's a pussy, doesn't want to play there full time.
Mobley is being considered a generational defensive big. Would be a nice projection but I don't mind falling short of that.
3J after 4yrs development & injury set back. Is only now coming into his own transitioning to C & despite his length & timing, not a good rebounder because he's soft.

Wiggins 19, 6'8" 200 entering the NBA - project SF/PF
Tatum 19, 6'7" 208 entering the NBA - projected SF/PF
Ingram 19, 6'9" 195 entering the NBA - projected SF/PF

Jabari Smith 18, 6' 10" 220 entering the NBA, A year younger & 20lbs heavier than your listed SF/PF's, 10 lbs lighter than 3J but also a different/stronger mentality. I project his NBA playing weight to be 235-240 as to not lose his laterall quickness when his clear youthfull frame grows over the next 2 yrs & there in, the seperation in his projection to be a 5. Though it would be nice if he had a couple more inches on his wing span.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#256 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 7:27 pm

Chet has a higher ceiling with more bust potential.
Smith has a high ceiling with a much higher floor.

It's important to not wiff on this pick. If NO's were building from scratch without a Zion & BI, Chet would probably be my pick. Considering Smith's high enough potential, high floor, fit & low bust factor, he's my clear pick for NO's if they luck into the top 2.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#257 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 3, 2022 7:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

11.7 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

Wings:
Spoiler:
11.5 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

12.8 TRB%, 2.9 BLK%

12.6 TRB%, 2.7 BLK%

11.4 TRB%, 3.1 BLK%

Spoiler:
15.5 TRB%, 12.5 BLK%

12.5 TRB%, 15.5 BLK%

19 TRB%, 13.7 BLK%

20.7 TRB%, 8.7 BLK%

Bam (6'9, 7'3 wingspan):
14.2 TRB%, 4.9 BLK%

You're dealing in the 4" wing span difference, overall length, listing 3 of the best defensive big men in the league as reference. I'm dealing in his mental makeup & frame, not just his length, which IMO, is adequate length.

Anthony Davis is an ideal 5 physically but he's a pussy, doesn't want to play there full time.
Mobley is being considered a generational defensive big. Would be a nice projection but I don't mind falling short of that.
3J after 4yrs development & injury set back. Is only now coming into his own transitioning to C & despite his length & timing, not a good rebounder because he's soft.

Jabari Smith 18, 6' 10" 220 entering the NBA, A year younger & 20lbs heavier than your listed SF/PF's, 10 lbs lighter than 3J but also a different/stronger mentality. I project his NBA playing weight to be 235-240 as to not lose his laterall quickness when his clear youthfull frame grows over the next 2 yrs & there in, the seperation in his projection to be a 5. Though it would be nice if he had a couple more inches on his wing span.

Jabari isnt a year younger than those guys entering the league though.

Jabari was born in May and will be 19 on draft night
Tatum was born in March and was 19 on draft night
Wiggins was born in Feb and was 19 on draft night
Brandon was born in Sept and was 18 on draft night

He will be 3 months younger than Wiggins, 2 months younger than Tatum, and 4 months older than BI. Those age differences arent big enough to mean anything.

And again my main point in all of this is, point to me the everyday starting 5 in the league right now that is similar to Jabari. Similar height, length, athleticism, and similar defensive role and impact at the college level. There are for more perimeter guys that fit the similar profile (physical and game) for Jabari, than there are everyday starting 5s that share a similar profile.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#258 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 3, 2022 7:43 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Again my thing though is, JJJ has always been that rim protector. That has always been his game, even if it comes with his high foul rate.

11.7 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

Wings:
Spoiler:
11.5 TRB%, 3.6 BLK%

12.8 TRB%, 2.9 BLK%

12.6 TRB%, 2.7 BLK%

11.4 TRB%, 3.1 BLK%

Spoiler:
15.5 TRB%, 12.5 BLK%

12.5 TRB%, 15.5 BLK%

19 TRB%, 13.7 BLK%

20.7 TRB%, 8.7 BLK%

Bam (6'9, 7'3 wingspan):
14.2 TRB%, 4.9 BLK%

Jabari isnt a year younger than those guys entering the league though.

Jabari was born in May and will be 19 on draft night
Tatum was born in March and was 19 on draft night
Wiggins was born in Feb and was 19 on draft night
Brandon was born in Sept and was 18 on draft night

He will be 3 months younger than Wiggins, 2 months younger than Tatum, and 4 months older than BI. Those age differences arent big enough to mean anything.

And again my main point in all of this is, point to me the everyday starting 5 in the league right now that is similar to Jabari. Similar height, length, athleticism, and similar defensive role and impact at the college level. There are for more perimeter guys that fit the similar profile (physical and game) for Jabari, than there are everyday starting 5s that share a similar profile.

I view that as a good thing, time to start a trend. How many PF's are as strong as ZIon. I ultimately think their uniqueness would balance out on both ends.

I stand corrected on his age, 18 is what draft net has him listed at.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#259 » by Whole Truth » Wed May 4, 2022 4:45 pm

If NO's don't make the jump from 8 & they end up drafting a guard top 10

NO's trade - (2 2nd round picks 22 to move up to 31) - draft Koloko from Arizona
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#260 » by Whole Truth » Fri May 6, 2022 1:09 pm

Shaedon set the record for max vert at 49.

His one on one workout -

Here's the million dollar question. If NO's were in position to draft one of Chet or Smith & Shaedon is on the board, do you pass ?, in what is a guards league.

There's little game evidence but all the tools are there. Size, length, wingspan, 3pt shooting, 49" vert.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans