Hornets lease extended to 2014

Moderator: bwgood77

2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Hornets lease extended to 2014 

Post#1 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:40 pm

NOLA.com wrote:The State of Louisiana and the New Orleans Hornets ended 10 months of negotiations on Wednesday by signing an amended lease agreement that extends the club's lease for two years, effectively keeping the team in Louisiana through 2014.

The Hornets will continue to be eligible to receive financial incentives from the state based upon ticket sales at generally the same amount as the previous agreement, which was signed in 2002 when the team relocated to New Orleans from Charlotte.

The new deal includes an option for the team to terminate the lease after the 2008-09 season if certain attendance benchmarks are not met. The Hornets can opt out of the agreement if the team fails to draw an average attendance of 14,735 for the final five months of this season and next season.

Opting out, though, would be costly for the Hornets. Owner George Shinn would would be on the line for up to $100 million.

Roughly $30 million of that would be penalties, reimbursements of past inducements from the state and relocation fees to move.

Shinn said one of the terms to the deal he struck with minority partner Gary Chouest, a Galliano businessman, when Chouest agreed to buy 25 percent interest in the team last July was that Shinn would be forced to pay back Chouest's investment, an estimated $62 million, if the Hornets moved.

Hornets and state reach new deal
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:51 pm

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#3 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:54 pm

Mind you, there is an opt-out clause for 08-09 if certain "attendance benchmarks" aren't met, but doing so would cost Shinn over $100M as well as the other red tape involved with moving/selling a team. Sooo, highly unlikely.

I have no reason to believe that attendance won't pick up either.

Soo...between this news and the news that within the next 3 weeks a cable/dish deal should be in place, it has been a good week for the Hornets. :D
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#4 » by Copperhead » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:14 pm

As a fan, all I can do is go to as many games as I can. I believe a successful season can go far in the minds of many people and carry over into more success. Go Hornets!

Be prepared for some unnecessary trolling.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#5 » by Copperhead » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:02 pm

2poor, you're great. You really are, and you don't even live in New Orleans, but don't even worry about it. I've only read YOUR posts in the thread on the GB because frankly, I've read enough negativity about New Orleans and the Hornets to last me a lifetime. You're cool.
2poor
RealGM

Post#6 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:56 pm

Love my Hornets and I can't see them finding a better home than New Orleans. I'll be making the trip in a month or two to catch a few games. And believe me, I do not want to see another Hornets relocation even though it seemingly wouldn't affect me as a long-distance fan...it still hurts and it still sucks.

Anyone who watches this team on a regular basis knows that it is only a matter of time before the city embraces them and the attendance number rises.

:thumbsup:
2poor
RealGM

Post#7 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:01 pm

Also, apparently WWL has been covering them like crazy today, which I understand isn't typical.

Here's a pretty funny tourism ad featuring CP3:

http://www.wwl.com/pages/1452552.php?co ... Id=1378156
2poor
RealGM

Post#8 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 am

Shinn just on WWL...random points

He said many people buying tickets are not showing up at the game

He also said he does not want to move the team & and the end of the option period if the benchmarks were not met he would first talk with the state...Jindle...before any decision would be made.

He said he did not want the state to pay $28 mill for a PF at this point in time since we have other needs & the Alario Center was plenty OK in the short term. He also said ther players were fine with this
2poor
RealGM

Post#9 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Some more bits on information:

NOLA.com wrote: The sample of games used to determine the final attendance benchmark will not include the seven games the Hornets played this season in October and November. Officials didn't think it was fair to include games from those months because fans, at the time, weren't aware of the terms of the new deal.

In the eight games played since Dec. 1, the Hornets average attendance was 12,215. To raise the average to the 14,735 target, attendance will need to be 15,036 in the remaining 76 games that will be played this season and next season.

The attendance figures are based on actual tickets sold and include complimentary tickets the club issues for charity and special guests.

Officials arrived at the figure of 14,735 because it equals the team's average attendance for the three seasons in New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina. The figure equates to roughly 86 percent of the 17,188 capacity the team goes by at New Orleans Arena. Playoff games will be excluded.

NOLA.com wrote: The Hornets were encouraged by attendance at the nine games played in New Orleans during the two seasons when they were based in Oklahoma City. In 2005-06, they averaged 17,485 in the three games in New Orleans, and last season they averaged 17,129 in six games, including 18,535 on March 23 against the Lakers, the most fans to ever see a regular-season game at the New Orleans Arena.

The Hornets averaged 14,221 in their final season in New Orleans before Katrina, a year in which they went 18-64.

NOLA.com wrote: Shinn said Chouest made it clear during ownership negotiations that he did not want to invest in a team that would not play in Louisiana. Shinn also said Chouest has plans to increase his stake in the club and that he will remain the only other partner in the ownership group.

"This is just the start of what we hope is going to be an even longer renewal, and we want to keep this team here until the lights go off," Chouest said.

George Shinn wrote:"We are going to make this work; we have to," Shinn said. "Everyone in the organization is in New Orleans because they chose to be here. We want this to be our home for a very long time, and we have great confidence that we will succeed."

NOLA.com wrote: "This is not about an opt-out; it's about an extension," said Jimmy Clarke, Blanco's chief of staff. "I understand the skepticism, (but) I personally have a great belief in the people of south Louisiana. I know the governor does. And I know the governor has a belief in the Hornets organization. I think we have confected a model agreement that brings forth common sense that I think will win the day."

If the team's struggles continue, officials must notify the state by Feb. 1, 2009, of their plans to pursue a renegotiated lease or other options. In that scenario, Shinn said his desire would be to meet with Gov.-elect Bobby Jindal to find a way to make things work in New Orleans.

"I'm 66 years old. Hell, I'm tired of moving," Shinn said. "I've moved from Charlotte to here to Oklahoma and back to here. I don't want to move again. I got a home here. My son's got a home here. We want to make this damn thing work. We're using prayer power and manpower and everything we can. I really think it's going to work. It's a situation where somewhere along the line we've got to have some trust."

NOLA.com wrote: Thornton, the lead negotiator for the state, said state officials understand the risk of losing the team in the new deal and are well aware of the rampant speculation it might engender.

However, he said a new deal was necessary both to assist the Hornets and to relieve the state of wasteful financial inducements to the club. Under terms of the original agreement, the state would have been on the hook for up to $6.2 million a year in inducement payments to the club for the next five years, in addition to the $20 million to $25 million practice facility

"The question would be: Does it make sense for the state to fund the continued operation of a basketball franchise if people aren't interested enough to buy tickets?" Thornton said. "If we're losing money, then they're losing money, and they could potentially be losing more than we're losing. Why would we want to both lose $30 million the next four years just so we could keep an irreplaceable asset?"

With an identifiable target now in place, state officials are confident fans will respond to the challenge in the same way they did six years ago when the NBA required the city to hit a season-ticket benchmark of 8,000 before approving the relocation to New Orleans from Charlotte.

"We believe in George Shinn and we believe in the Hornets," Clarke said. "We see this as opportunity to extend the lease by two years, not to shorten the lease. And at the same time it's a fiscally responsible move to the taxpayers. This is a win-win agreement for both sides."
2poor
RealGM

Post#10 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:57 pm

NOLA.com wrote: But the deal gives our region until the end of next season to show it can support the team. It would allow the Hornets to leave or renegotiate the lease if average attendance does not reach 14,735 per game in the last five months of this season and all next season.

That is not an impossible benchmark. It is the attendance average of the team's first three seasons here, before Hurricane Katrina. It'll count tickets sold as well as those the team gives away for business promotions and charities. Considering attendance in December -- the first month of the evaluation period -- meeting the goal will require just over 2,800 more fans per game through the end of next season.

That should not be hard with a winning team and some of the cheapest seats in the league, including thousands at $20 and $10 per game. That's practically beer money, and every seat at the Hive is pretty much a decent one.

It's also important that officials in New Orleans and St. Tammany Parish continue pushing for an agreement between cable providers Cox Communications and Charter Communications, so a potential 250,000 fans on the north shore can begin watching Hornets games.

editorial

Yeah...I think they'll be able to attract 2,800 more fans per game if those 250,000+ will finally be able to see them on a regular basis.

8)
2poor
RealGM

Post#11 » by 2poor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Great post regarding the matter from a member on another forum:

I have watched this site analyze the new lease over and over for the last 2 days and have watched some of the membership here really take this news, in my opinion, the wrong way.

When the team was in OKC, what did we want?

We wanted our team back and a chance to demonstrate that we can support them. We have that very chance sitting in front of us as we speak. The team is back home and other than a handful of games, overall we have failed to support them the way this team deserves to be supported.

In 2004-2005, we complained that the product on the court was awful, well over the last two years (regardless of where the team was located) that has been addressed. We have a legitimate contender in our own city, that with a handful of moves, will be a contender for years to come. There is no excuse anymore when it comes to the product.

The new lease has many "out clauses" over the next 6 years. The out clauses aren't that we have to build a new stadium, or have to pay the team 20 million a year to stay here or any other ridiculous demand from the team or NBA. We are simply being asked that if we want the team to be here, that we just go to games. Thats it. It really is that simple. The way tickets are counted has been determined and is more than fair.

Some folks here are also trying to call this an ultimatum as opposed to a extension, and that is your right if you feel that way, but you have to realize something: this team is also a business. If we don't go to the games, how can we have the right to scream that this team needs to stay here and fail?

This isn't a situation where the owner of the team is asking for the moon and the stars or he is going to take his ball and leave. He is asking us to simply be in the bottom quarter of the league in attendance. I mean what is the problem here really, the city or the team?

A lot of you will blame the lack of coverage on the Northshore, well guess what, that isn't the team's fault at all. That is Cox and Charter (and the Dishes) problem to work out.The team cant do a damn thing about that even though they are trying to get involved.

A lot of you will blame the team for improperly marketing this area. Well once again that is a situation that we really cant do a damn thing about except take it into our own hands. Keep telling your friends and family. When you buy your tickets, buy a couple of cheap seats to give to friends. There are things that YOU can do to help the team market the area. You might think that it isn't your responsibility to do so and it isn't, but it comes down to how bad you want to see this team stay here.

The bottom line is this: the expectations from the team are doable. VERY doable. If we do our part, the team CAN'T leave the city. It isn't a situation where Shinn can just say nevermind and leave regardless of the numbers. This is on us. We go to games and this team stays the New Orleans Hornets for a very very long time. So lets try to lighten the mood a little and just do everything that WE can do to keep this team in this city. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. It really is that simple. But if you take the attitude that there is no point in going because they are as good as gone, then that will be the situation. They will be gone as will the NBA for good in the city of New Orleans, and NO ONE here wants to see that happen.
Trueblood
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Trueblood » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:05 am

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along. Just support the team and they'll stay. The worst attitude that anyone can take is to just give up because they think that the team is as good as gone. If you make an honest effort to do your part, you can always look yourself in the mirror and say that you tried.
e4Nf6
Starter
And1: 1

Post#13 » by e4Nf6 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 am

Charlotte Tried, it didnt matter either

Return to New Orleans Pelicans