Hornets trade Mike James for Antonio Daniels

Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Hornets trade Mike James for Antonio Daniels 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 pm

The Washington Wizards, Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans Hornets have agreed to a three-team trade that will bring two new guards to the Gilbert Arenas-less Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Wizards will receive New Orleans' Mike James and Memphis' Javaris Crittenton in the exchange, with the Hornets acquiring Washington's Antonio Daniels and the Grizzlies coming away with a future first-round pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3759656

:)
donteInferno
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Hornets trade Mike James for Antonio Daniels 

Post#2 » by donteInferno » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 pm

I feel that this is a great upgrade to your offence, Daniels has done a ok job replacing Gilbert Arenas
Mount Rushmore should have Obama, Powell, Wade, and Riley
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Congrats, you guys are getting a tried and tested floor general. True professional, great mentor, and genuine blue collar player. Plus, the guy just doesn't turn the ball over. Just be careful with him though...he does break easy. :wink:
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#4 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Glad to get rid of James, never really fit in. Guessing the cotracts of James and Daniels are of a similar length? Should be a good fit for us.
CPaulMVP3
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by CPaulMVP3 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am

That's a solid trade for NO, getting rid of that scrub James who has no basketball IQ and getting a veteran player in Daniels who can still make plays and shoot the ball. He's going to be a solid reserve when this team is all the way healthy.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#6 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am

Well this is probably about the best we could have hoped for, we didnt give up Butler or Hilton or JuJu to move James.

Daniels plays smart BBall, but how effective he can be now that hes not playing for a cellar dweller is yet to be seen, but overall, happy day for the Hornets, now lets beat up Charlotte and Boston and get this thing back on track!
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 am

Daniels is currently wounded, but is generally pretty durable. He just shouldn't bear the starter's minutes he's had to play the past couple years. Once he's back to full strength you'll love how he bounces back up off the hardwood everytime he hits the deck driving to the rim. HIs signature move is slamming directly onto his back after a hard dunk and foul. No human being should be able to take that kind of punishment. Other than that, he's pretty mistake-free in the halfcourt, a consitent A/TO leader, though he'll often slow up and run halfcourt if he doesn't like what he sees in the break, won't force the tempo. Won't push it.

Great guy, great interview, will coach someday and is a good fit for the pick/roll version of the hybrid Princeton sets that NO likes to run. Should fit right in pretty quickly. Expect a standing O for him when he visits the Wiz here in DC. I think we did him a favor trading him to a contender while we're trying to re-stock with young talent. I suspect he was stung when we dropped Coach Eddie Jordan, the two were good friends. Guy is a consummate pro, he kept us afloat last year when Gilbert went down, beyond all reason. This year he looks too old to bear the heavy minutes is all, needs a bit of rest. But hell he always looks better the second half of the year anyway.

DC wishes him well.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#8 » by Charcoal Filtered » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:00 am

I cannot believe Memphis had to throw in a 2nd in order to cover the difference in salary between AD and James. Great move in getting a high quality bench player.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
PeTBuLL
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#9 » by PeTBuLL » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:31 pm

Will be Daniels good to go for this game against Boston?
Nenê, brazilan tomahawk!
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Copperhead » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 pm

PeTBuLL wrote:Will be Daniels good to go for this game against Boston?

I don't think so. I think Scott said he thinks Daniels may be ready to go on Sunday against the Raptors rather than tonight.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Copperhead » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Ok, now I'm reading that Daniels participated in shootaround this morning and is expected to play. We'll see.

We also may witness Antonio Daniels' debut as a Hornet. Daniels participated in shootaround this morning at TD Banknorth Garden and is expected to play.

http://neworleanshornetsblog.blogspot.c ... night.html
PeTBuLL
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#12 » by PeTBuLL » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:56 pm

No Daniels for that game, and B. Scott didnt use any PG at all (beside´s CPshow)...

Maybe Daniels where not good to go.
Nenê, brazilan tomahawk!
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Copperhead » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:42 pm

PeTBuLL wrote:No Daniels for that game, and B. Scott didnt use any PG at all (beside´s CPshow)...

Maybe Daniels where not good to go.

Well he's not a true point guard but when Paul sits, Devin Brown gets the point guard duties. He had moven ahead in rotation over Mike James. I expect Daniels to now move ahead of Devin at the backup pg spot. Daniels was in uniform last night but I don't guess Scott wanted to throw him into the fire so early since he's so new with the team and all.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Copperhead » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Hornets welcome in new addition Daniels

BOSTON -- Newly acquired Hornets guard Antonio Daniels said he experienced a hectic 48-hour period since his trade from the Washington Wizards on Wednesday morning.

But Daniels said he's fortunate to join the Hornets after playing on a Wizards team that had struggled to a 4-16 record in the Eastern Conference without guard Gilbert Arenas, who remains sidelined with a knee injury.

"This is a very good basketball team that has one of the top point guards in the league," Daniels said of the Hornets. "I'm a pass-first point guard, and my concern is to do whatever I can to help the team. From the moment I stepped on the bus, these guys welcomed me."

The Hornets acquired Daniels in exchange for backup point guard Mike James. Daniels participated in the Hornets' shootaround Friday morning at the TD Banknorth Garden, but he mostly went over play sets with Coach Byron Scott.

Before the game, Scott said there was a chance Daniels could play against the Celtics. However, Daniels did not play.

"He could play real early if the second unit does not play with the energy that I want to see," Scott said before the game. "I'm not going to keep them in the game if they are not playing at the level they need to be playing at."

After completing his mandatory physical examination in New Orleans on Thursday, Daniels said he did not join the Hornets until 12:30 a.m. Friday in Boston.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/?/base/ ... xml&coll=1
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#15 » by wiff » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Former Seattle Sonics fan here. I loved AD's stint up here in Seattle. You're getting a very good player and leader in AD.

He and Luke Ridnour split time at the one, the last time the Sonics made the playoffs and won 52 games with Nate McMillan, along with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. AD had a lot to do with that teams success. He played crazy D on Wade that year picking up a charge at a critical moment in the game late.

During the playoffs against San Antonio , AD was fearless taking it to the rack. Selling out his body.

Plus I think he compliments Paul well too because he can play the 2 also.

The only question I have about AD is about his age. But he is signed to a reasonable contract that expires after next year. All an all I think AD is a very nice pick up for New Orleans.

A little side note, I watched part of the game last night and Chris Paul is amazing. Not that this idea is new, we have known that for a while but he had a sequence last night, that absolutely blew my mind.

Paul steals and spins away for the fast break. Orchestrates a fast break at the other end of the floor he pulls out the no look pass on a dime behind his back with a bounce pass for the easy dunk, I believe to West.

Probably one of the prettiest plays I have ever seen.

Best of luck this year I really like your team.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Copperhead » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:48 pm

wiff wrote:Former Seattle Sonics fan here. I loved AD's stint up here in Seattle. You're getting a very good player and leader in AD.

He and Luke Ridnour split time at the one, the last time the Sonics made the playoffs and won 52 games with Nate McMillan, along with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. AD had a lot to do with that teams success. He played crazy D on Wade that year picking up a charge at a critical moment in the game late.

During the playoffs against San Antonio , AD was fearless taking it to the rack. Selling out his body.

Plus I think he compliments Paul well too because he can play the 2 also.

The only question I have about AD is about his age. But he is signed to a reasonable contract that expires after next year. All an all I think AD is a very nice pick up for New Orleans.

A little side note, I watched part of the game last night and Chris Paul is amazing. Not that this idea is new, we have known that for a while but he had a sequence last night, that absolutely blew my mind.

Paul steals and spins away for the fast break. Orchestrates a fast break at the other end of the floor he pulls out the no look pass on a dime behind his back with a bounce pass for the easy dunk, I believe to West.

Probably one of the prettiest plays I have ever seen.

Best of luck this year I really like your team.

Thanks for the report on AD wiff. Hopefully he can give the Hornets a little something alongside CP or while CP takes a rest. I remember the play in last nights game that you're talking about. It was nice indeed. And for what it's worth, I think the Sonics should've stayed in Seattle.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#17 » by W. Unseld » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 pm

I disagree w/the above poster that AD can play the 2, but he's an absolute warrior at the 1 and a class act all the way. He was slowed down by the knee this year for the Wiz but as a back up you guys are getting a great deal--has he gotten any burn yet?
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Copperhead » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:03 pm

W. Unseld wrote:I disagree w/the above poster that AD can play the 2, but he's an absolute warrior at the 1 and a class act all the way. He was slowed down by the knee this year for the Wiz but as a back up you guys are getting a great deal--has he gotten any burn yet?

He got about 9 minutes in the last game against Toronto on Sunday. Only attempted 1 shot and had 5 assists.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#19 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:47 am

Played again Vs Memphis tonight, 6 points, 2 assists.

second game straight with 9mins action, hopefully as the season drags on he can pinch a couple more.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans