Julian Wright

Moderator: bwgood77

BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Julian Wright 

Post#1 » by BadWolf » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:07 pm

What's up with Julian, injury or out of favor with Byron Scott?
How is he progressing?
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Re: Julian Wright 

Post#2 » by Copperhead » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:01 pm

BadWolf wrote:What's up with Julian, injury or out of favor with Byron Scott?
How is he progressing?

Probably some of both. Almost similar to last season, he had to work hard to get into Scott's rotation. He started off slow and then worked hard enough to get PT. Looks like he's going to have to do the same thing this season. Scott is hard on young players. Julian will have to settle down and let his game come to him. Sometimes he tries to do too much and that's when he makes mistakes.

Here's an article from about a week or two ago explaining why he isn't getting PT. He was playing well in the preseason up until his unfortunate injury.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/?/base/ ... xml&coll=1
rilstugly
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by rilstugly » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Ju had an injury at the start of the season so he got knocked down on the depth chart.Morris Peterson continued his form from last season & played like crap & Rasual regained his lost confidence & started playing like a decent back-up so he started getting Mo Pete's mins.Peja is making big bucks & they just signed Posey so the SF mins are locked up.I think the "Great Byron Scott" is afraid of killing Rasual's fragile confidence & he's wasting his time by playing Sean Marks & Devin Brown like they're gonna have an influence on the teams' success this year.If he has to rely on them N.O. is gonna be out of the picture anyway. When Julian does play he might turn the ball over once or get a foul & he gets taken out of the game.That's some high school crap.Ju's not a scorer, nor is he a spot-up shooter like Peja & Rasual, & he's not solely an adequate defender like Devin Brown.He's a multi-dimensional playmaker & if he doesn't get the playing time to play through the couple mistakes he's going to be prone to making as a young/dynamic player then he's not going to be of any use to the team. (I still feel like CP3 should've been MVP & Maurice Cheeks should've been the Coach of the Year last season.I'm not a B. Scott fan because I think he enables David West to play matador defense & he lost the series against the Spurs last year by not playing Julian when there was a clear need for an athletic defender to defend the wings/corners on the 3pt line...) Every team needs a slasher/perimeter player who can create their own shot & Ju can do that plus defend. I say if Scott doesn't use him they're gonna lose &/or lose him... :-) Yup...
CP3/ Peja/ J. Wright/ D.West/ Tyson Chandler...Watch out fellas
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#4 » by Copperhead » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:30 pm

WRIGHT OFF ON WRONG FOOT

Before last Saturday's 99-90 victory against the Sacramento Kings, Hornets second-year backup forward Julian Wright took the microphone at midcourt and thanked the crowd for coming out to the New Orleans Arena.

It turned out to be his only appearance on the floor.

According to Coach Byron Scott, Wright still is struggling to grasp the offense and doesn't know where to line up in certain sets, which led to the 2007 first-round draft pick losing his spot in the rotation.

Although he is one of the Hornets' most athletic players, Wright has been benched in four consecutive games. With a shorter rotation expected Tuesday night when the Hornets host the Western Conference-leading Los Angeles Lakers, Wright likely won't play.

Wright, 21, was placed on the inactive list for the first time this season against the Kings.

"When you run the same play for two years, and you are still not understanding where you are supposed to be, that tells me you are not getting it," Scott said. "His reaction is slow when we're swinging the ball, and he's still not where he is supposed to be. I have to holler a couple of times for him to get there."

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.s ... xml&coll=1
rilstugly
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by rilstugly » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 pm

That 1 minute & 40 secs Julian played at the end of the 1st quarter really cost the Hornets last night! He really looked flat & untalented out there compared to teammates like Devin Brown & him not knowing the plays & being such an immature 2nd year player caused their 20pts deficit just like Byron Scott said...Yup!!!! :roll: Or was it the fact that they were getting out rebounded & no one could score in the half court because they had no one who could attack the basket off the dribble EFFECTIVELY not named Chris Paul... If they want to be a middle-of-the-pack team full of spot-up shooters then they might as well change their name to the Raptors b/c that's who they look like they're going to be if their roster/game plan stays the same as it is now...
CP3/ Peja/ J. Wright/ D.West/ Tyson Chandler...Watch out fellas
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#6 » by magee » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:22 pm

He needs Devin Brown's minutes and he needs to be David West's back-up while Peja is out. Simple as that. This team needs some sort of wake-up call or change. If it's not the coach, it's the personnel. Julian Wright needs to play. There's no excuse for him not to play. I don't care what Byron Scott says.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:16 pm

He's already the most versatile defender, he causes as many deflections as anyone, he rebounds the ball well, and even when he looks awkward, he can get to the basket really well.

Considering the other guys aren't exactly lighting it up, and his development is crucial, get him out there and let him take his lumps.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to New Orleans Pelicans