Rowand to the Yankees?

Boston's Future
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Rowand to the Yankees? 

Post#1 » by Boston's Future » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 pm

mlbtraderumors.com

Yanks To Pursue Rowand?
A source of mine with Yankee connections had some good info for me today. Much was discussed yesterday in Tampa.

For starters, the Yanks are expected to make "eye-popping" offers to retain Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera before the World Series ends. The team does not want the pair to file for free agency.

Additionally, the Yankees may make a big play for Aaron Rowand. They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.

My source didn't have anything about Andy Pettitte, who hated seeing Joe Torre go and will take a month to decide if he's even going to play next year.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:35 am

Do it, do it, do it.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#3 » by cmaff051 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:38 am

It will never happen.
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Rowand to the Yankees? 

Post#4 » by #1knickfan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Boston's Future wrote:mlbtraderumors.com

Yanks To Pursue Rowand?
A source of mine with Yankee connections had some good info for me today. Much was discussed yesterday in Tampa.

For starters, the Yanks are expected to make "eye-popping" offers to retain Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera before the World Series ends. The team does not want the pair to file for free agency.

Additionally, the Yankees may make a big play for Aaron Rowand. They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.

My source didn't have anything about Andy Pettitte, who hated seeing Joe Torre go and will take a month to decide if he's even going to play next year.

As for the Rowland to NY rumor. That's not a bad idea. I like him as a player and wanted to get him when he was still in Chicago. The idea is that the Yankees would sign him or Tori Hunter to play center and let Bobby Abreu walk. Cabera would move to right field while Damon and Mastui would alternate between Left Field and DH.

That part in bold though is just absolute horse$hit though. I know if we want Santana we are probably going to have to give up Kennedy and Cabera just to keep the Twins from ignoring us but there is no way we give up Wang. Why would we trade a 19 game winner plus a top pitching prospect and a good young outfielder just to aquire Santana. The idea would be to get Santana and have him push Wang to our #2 starter. I think the Yankees will offer something like Kennedy, Cabrera, Betemit + someone like Soto or Russ Oardorferor (that guy with the German last name they got from the Diamondbacks in the Randy Johnson trade).

There is a better chance of the Yankees picking up a sizeable chunk of Igawa's salary and shipping him to Minnesota as part of the package than there is for the Yankees packaging Wang in with those guys just to get Santana. The Twins are going to want cheap and young talent who are relatively close to producing if not producing already. Say what you will about how much Igawa sucks and is expensive but if the Yankees were willing to pay 7.5 out of the 15 million dollars left on his deal the Twins would have a end of the rotation pitcher for 2 million a year. Considering the inflated salaries end of the rotation pitchers have been getting on the market in recent years for 2 million a year for 4 years wouldn't be an expensive risk for a team like the Twins.
oakfanintheeast
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#5 » by oakfanintheeast » Tue Nov 6, 2007 1:37 am

lol@ aaron rowand, most overratedd player. gotta love his fake splits in that fake stadium.

Return to Trades and Transactions