Cincy Should Make a Splash.

theshow247
Sophomore
And1: 0

Cincy Should Make a Splash. 

Post#1 » by theshow247 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:32 pm

It seems somewhat puzzling for the in-the-midst of a youth movement Cincinnati Reds to hire veteran friendly manage Dusty Baker to lead their squad. Although, in my opinion, there are 2 moves that would make his squad more apt to compete in the National League Central Division, but one might be just too contraversial for most fans to stomach. Get over it; you want a better chance to win, right?

First of all, it is farely obvious that Adam Dunn's $13 mil option($16 mil if traded) was picked up with the sole intent being that they are going to try to trade him. Being that pitching is one of Cincy's primary needs, the Reds could use a Dunn trade to attend to this need. Although, the ceiling for what Dunn could bring back in return is limit; possibly an innings eating starter in the least. My focus would be on offensively challenged teams, with excess pitching; ie: Minnesota. I think it would be possible to get a Carlos Silva(pending 2008 free agent) for Dunn, and include $3mil in cash to accomodate for the escalator clause.

This initial move opens up left field, and the opportunity for praised prospect Jay Bruce; but not completely. Here is where the splash comes. Sign Barry Bonds to a 1 year, $15mil deal, and put him in left and in the line-up w/ Griffey. Where does Jay Bruce figure in? A less pressure intensive rookie year, that's how Bruce figures in. Bonds and Griffey are going to need their days off, and Bruce can end up playing 3-5 times a week, without the pressure of being the offensive savior of Reds, which has devoured a few former "can't miss" guys. Not to mention that, when including Josh Hamilton, Cincy wouldn't have the healthiest outfield in the league.

Do these 2 moves alone make the Reds contenders? Not really. But, it does give them a fighting chance to something in the Central, and get into the playoffs. And if we've learned anything, it's that if you get into the playoffs and on a roll, anything is possible. Especially, when you consider how much a Griffey and Bonds want a ring on their respective ways out. Not to mention that playing at Great American Ballpark, Bonds could put the home run record out of Alex Rodriguez' reach(800?). Power in the middle, Bonds, Griffey, Votto, Encarnacion, and, solid Pitching trio, Harang, Arroyo, and Silva, to go with potentially budding stars, Hamilton, Bruce, Homer Bailey, and you have the potential for a sleeper team, the likes of which has not been seen since this year's National League Champion Colorado Rockies. Think about it.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 pm

would cincy be interested in the GREAT cococococo crisp??
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:05 am

You want to trade Adam Dunn for Carlos Silva?

WHAT?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#4 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:43 am

Bleeding Green wrote:You want to trade Adam Dunn for Carlos Silva?

WHAT?

I hope that this guy is actually Wayne Krivsky. If he wants Carlos Silva the Brewers offer Dave Bush, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Charlie Fermaint for Dunn.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#5 » by GYBE » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:11 am

Reds + Bonds + Silva - Dunn /= NL Central Championship

8)
Boston's Future
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Boston's Future » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 pm

Dusty Bakers has been tallking to Prior and Wood, they might go to Cinncy. So now Cinncy can have two never have beens in their rotation. Book the Central Divison to the Reds!
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#7 » by kingofthecourt67 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 am

Barry Bonds? Uh no thanks.

Reds are serious in the Bedard sweepstakes btw. Unfortunately it appears as if we are going to have to part with 2 out of these 3: Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton, or Joey Votto. I rather not trade Bailey or Votto let alone 2 of those 3. Yes, I know that you have to give up something to gain something but who knows how long Bedard will be a Red? I just rather stick with our young guys.

Return to Trades and Transactions