The Jason Neighborgall Thread

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#21 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:08 am

Awesome stuff.

I really need to see video of him someday.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#22 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:36 pm

You need to see him live. Imagine a stadium of 2,500 people saying "YOU SUCK!" and laughing at him.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:17 am

I SAW JASON NEIGHBORGALL PITCH AGAIN.

And Bleeding Green would never fathom what happened in his wildest dreams.

[/teaser]
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:00 am

Here's the log from tonight's game regarding Neighborgall:

Salem-Keizer Bottom 9th

* Pitcher Change: Jason Neighborgall replaces Sean Morgan.
* Chad Rothford singles on a ground ball to left fielder Shane Byrne.
* Brock Bond walks. Chad Rothford to 2nd.
* Tyler La Torre strikes out swinging.
* Sharlon Schoop singles on a ground ball to right fielder Aaron Hanke. Chad Rothford to 3rd. Brock Bond to 2nd.
* Bruce Edwards grounds into a force out, second baseman Joseph Ayers to shortstop Mark Hallberg. Chad Rothford scores. Brock Bond to 3rd. Sharlon Schoop out at 2nd. Bruce Edwards to 1st.
* Shane Jordan grounds out, first baseman Clayton Conner to pitcher Jason Neighborgall.

Neighborgall - 1.0 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 3.86

That's right...he struck a guy out, didn't throw a wild pitch, and got people to hit groundball outs.

First, more on his delivery: it bothers me. He stands at the far right edge of the mound (from the batter's eye) and his feet aren't parallel to each other...he staggers his front (right) foot a little further to the right (again, batter's eye). He holds his glove and pitching arm up away from his body but about level with his neck. From there, he whips his arm back almost like a backswing, and then delivers at 2 o'clock. Add that to his waist-high leg kick, huge step, and slightly bent body...he's a mess. But god damn can that kid throw hard.

He came in for the ninth inning of a 12-1 game, and Yakima immediately warmed up someone upon Neighborgall finishing his warm-up pitches. As our radio announcer explained to me: "It's the last game of the series and both teams and the umpires have to travel...the strike zone is expanded, and hitters better recognize it. "

In the first at-bat, he threw a couple balls early but then got a fastball down the heart of the plate...which was promptly launched for a single. He then resumed wildness (God, it's like he thinks the strike zone's between the batter's knees and the dirt), but got the next batter to a full count before walking him.

He then actually struck out a batter. On three pitches, no less, and I swear I'm not kidding. Blew a fastball by LaTorre for strike one, caught the corner of the plate with a fastball for strike two, then threw his breaking ball well outside...but LaTorre went chasing, and he became Neighborgall's first strikeout victim as a Yakima Bear. (His breaking ball sucks, by the way...it's basically a slower Jamie Moyer fastball and it doesn't move.)

Another fastball relatively over the plate led to another single, and while it was extremely hard for him to not accrue three balls in an at-bat, he threw more fastballs in the vicinity of the strike zone and got two groundouts to end the game. That's right...he actually recorded a full inning, which I don't think he'd done in weeks.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#25 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:28 pm

I think it's safe to say after that outing that Neighborgall is a better prospect than Daniel Bard.
treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#26 » by treyZz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:51 pm

What are the odds this guy throws an inning in the majors?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#27 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Aug 1, 2007 1:43 am

cmaff051 wrote:I think it's safe to say after that outing that Neighborgall is a better prospect than Daniel Bard.

No doubt about that, really.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:38 pm

Neighborgall's numbers of late:

11 G, 5.2 IP, 5 H, 11 R (11 ER), 1 HB, 25 BB, 2 K

17.47 ERA, 5.29 WHIP

His team is also out of playoff contention, so no more Neighborgall after September 5.

Bow before him.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#29 » by Chach » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:35 am

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/109524

He hung it up today. Man, that was a good ride. I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to share.

Career Total Batters Faced: 310

Outs: 129 (48 Ks)
Non-outs: 181 (128 BBs, 13 HBPs)

Wild pitches: 59

Absolutely amazing. mahalo
~Chach~
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:50 am

At least I can say I saw him pitch live.

Good on him.
treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#31 » by treyZz » Sun Mar 9, 2008 4:59 pm

treyZz wrote:What are the odds this guy throws an inning in the majors?

Apparently not good.

Damn.

Return to Minor Leagues