Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. 8-)
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Re: What do you think of this roster, drafted last night 

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Drop Barmes and Pettitte.

Kelly Johnson is actually a decent starter at 2B too.

You need to find an upgrade to MI for Cabrera. Are Alberto Callaspo, Everth Cabrera, or Prado available?

I would try to capitalize on Heyward-mania. I know your a Braves fan, but see if there is a team with a lot of young or risky players and try trading him there. I have a hard time thinking he will be valuable at all to you in this league. Assuming that this is a one year league. Same with Snider, although I think Snider will be better for this year but if you can find someone who likes young players I would try to trade him.

Fowler is very startable, maybe even for Willingham, but I may shop him around. Definitely a player you don't want on a bench. Either trade him and get something valuable or start him.

You're last two pitching spots are kind of weak, but pitching is so up and down and Latos has ace potential and Scherzer can strike guys out. And of course Bedard won't be healthy to start the season.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#3 » by lpsevier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:03 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Drop Barmes and Pettitte.

Really? Why Barmes? Pettitte was a late pick, but I am surprised.

Kelly Johnson is actually a decent starter at 2B too.

I'm interested to see how he pans out, but again, another late round pick. I think he has the potential to sit on the bench most of the year.

You need to find an upgrade to MI for Cabrera. Are Alberto Callaspo, Everth Cabrera, or Prado available?

My 2B and MI spots are terrible. I completely ignored them until late in the draft. Prado is gone. Callaspo is gone. Cabrera is gone, lol.

I would try to capitalize on Heyward-mania. I know your a Braves fan, but see if there is a team with a lot of young or risky players and try trading him there.

You mean like my team? :)

I have a hard time thinking he will be valuable at all to you in this league. Assuming that this is a one year league. Same with Snider, although I think Snider will be better for this year but if you can find someone who likes young players I would try to trade him.

Why do you like Snider more for the season than Heyward? Yes one year league.

Fowler is very startable, maybe even for Willingham, but I may shop him around. Definitely a player you don't want on a bench. Either trade him and get something valuable or start him.

Agreed, I was thinking of swapping Fowler and Will anyway.

You're last two pitching spots are kind of weak, but pitching is so up and down and Latos has ace potential and Scherzer can strike guys out. And of course Bedard won't be healthy to start the season.

I feel very good about the pitching staff.

Thanks for the response.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Theres just got to better players out there. I kind of thought one of the three guys I mentioned would still be out there considering their "o-rank." But I'm sure there's still something out there.
I'm interested to see how he pans out, but again, another late round pick. I think he has the potential to sit on the bench most of the year.

I think he should be without a doubt starting in a league like this. D'Backs homepark also helps him a decent amount.
My 2B and MI spots are terrible. I completely ignored them until late in the draft. Prado is gone. Callaspo is gone. Cabrera is gone, lol.

Damn, that sucks. Um, yeah, you need to dangle Fowler or Willingham for an MI upgrade. Along with Heyward in my opinion.

Heyward has had 208 PA at AA or above, 13 in AAA or above. Snider has over a 1000 PA at AA or above with 350 of them coming in the big leagues. Heyward is a phenomenal prospect but his MLE OPS last year was .747, again great considering his age, but I wouldn't want to rely on him giving even an .800 OPS and as a corner outfielder that just isn't going to do you much good. There is always someone in a league who overrates rookies/prospects. (Hell sometimes me.) I would see if you could upgrade at SS/3B/2B and dangle him. By the way, just curious where did you draft him? To be fair I'm not too high on Snider either in a league like this.

I'm probably the leader of the Mat Latos bandwagon and think he's great for fantasy. But yeah, like I said SP is so up and down anything can happen. Bedard is awesome when healthy, you just have to wait for that.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by lpsevier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Theres just got to better players out there. I kind of thought one of the three guys I mentioned would still be out there considering their "o-rank." But I'm sure there's still something out there.

Doesn't seem to be.

I think he should be without a doubt starting in a league like this. D'Backs homepark also helps him a decent amount.

No no, I mean he could ride the pine in Arizona, or have a great year like he did for the Braves a few years ago, I think he's tough to project.

Damn, that sucks. Um, yeah, you need to dangle Fowler or Willingham for an MI upgrade. Along with Heyward in my opinion.

Who would you target?

Heyward has had 208 PA at AA or above, 13 in AAA or above. Snider has over a 1000 PA at AA or above with 350 of them coming in the big leagues. Heyward is a phenomenal prospect but his MLE OPS last year was .747, again great considering his age, but I wouldn't want to rely on him giving even an .800 OPS and as a corner outfielder that just isn't going to do you much good. There is always someone in a league who overrates rookies/prospects. (Hell sometimes me.) I would see if you could upgrade at SS/3B/2B and dangle him. By the way, just curious where did you draft him? To be fair I'm not too high on Snider either in a league like this.

Round 20.

I'm probably the leader of the Mat Latos bandwagon and think he's great for fantasy. But yeah, like I said SP is so up and down anything can happen. Bedard is awesome when healthy, you just have to wait for that.

No worries on the front.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Looking at yahoo's "o-rank":

I would try to trade Adam Dunn as I think for your league setting he is overrated at 70.

Then looking at 2B/SS/3B and "o-rank" of who might be undervalued Erick Aybar looks great in this league. Like I would trade Dunn straight up for him. But you should be able to get even more.

You could try packaging Dunn and something for Brian Roberts. Or doing Dunn straight up for Chipper, maybe you could even get something more. I think Beckham will be getting 2B eligibility too, thats why Chipper

Also, I would try trading for Callaspo. Shouldn't cost you much and he shouldn't be starting but is a nice guy to have and dirt cheap.

But yeah, I really think you should go hard after Erick Aybar considering he shouldn't take much to get and I think will pay off big for you. Aybar would instantly become the best player out of all your SS/MI/2B/3B options, yeah I know he doesn't play the last two, just emphasizing.

Edit- Are Carlos Guillen and Matt Diaz owned? And I'm assuming Cam Maybin and Chris Davis are owned.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by lpsevier » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 am

bigboy1234 wrote:Looking at yahoo's "o-rank":

I would try to trade Adam Dunn as I think for your league setting he is overrated at 70.

What about Aaron Hill for Dunn straight up? That may be on the table.

Then looking at 2B/SS/3B and "o-rank" of who might be undervalued Erick Aybar looks great in this league. Like I would trade Dunn straight up for him. But you should be able to get even more.

He may not be available, the manager that drafted him is pretty high on him.

You could try packaging Dunn and something for Brian Roberts. Or doing Dunn straight up for Chipper, maybe you could even get something more. I think Beckham will be getting 2B eligibility too, thats why Chipper

I took Beckham over Chipper, and Larry Wayne was taken immediately after.

Also, I would try trading for Callaspo. Shouldn't cost you much and he shouldn't be starting but is a nice guy to have and dirt cheap.

But yeah, I really think you should go hard after Erick Aybar considering he shouldn't take much to get and I think will pay off big for you. Aybar would instantly become the best player out of all your SS/MI/2B/3B options, yeah I know he doesn't play the last two, just emphasizing.

Would you rather have Hill or Aybar?

Edit- Are Carlos Guillen and Matt Diaz owned? And I'm assuming Cam Maybin and Chris Davis are owned.

Guillen and Diaz are available. The other two are not.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I wouldn't do it as far as how I think they will perform. But if you think you can get Aaron Hill and then flip him for something better then yes as someone may fall for Hill's 2009/O-Rank.

Hmm...that would suck. What round did he draft him?

I slightly prefer Chipper for a one year league.

Aybar.

Would for sure drop Pettitte and Barmes for these two. Unless you think you can get something valuable for Pettitte, which I doubt you can. Yes I know you are loaded at OF, but you should be trading a couple of them for 2B/SS/3B help anyways. Although you probably know more about the playing time Diaz will get then I do.

Can you post the rounds Aybar and Callaspo were drafted in and the 3 guys you drafted before they were picked.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by lpsevier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

I wouldn't do it as far as how I think they will perform. But if you think you can get Aaron Hill and then flip him for something better then yes as someone may fall for Hill's 2009/O-Rank.

I doubt it.

Hmm...that would suck. What round did he draft him?

Aybar was drafted in the 18th round.

I slightly prefer Chipper for a one year league.

I worry about his injuries a little, but it was a gamble that may not pay off.

Aybar.

Really?

Would for sure drop Pettitte and Barmes for these two. Unless you think you can get something valuable for Pettitte, which I doubt you can. Yes I know you are loaded at OF, but you should be trading a couple of them for 2B/SS/3B help anyways. Although you probably know more about the playing time Diaz will get then I do.

I'm going to wait a few weeks into the season before I touch Diaz.

Can you post the rounds Aybar and Callaspo were drafted in and the 3 guys you drafted before they were picked.

Aybar was selected in the 18th round.
Callaspo was drafted in the 29th round.

My picks:

16th Round: Mike Gonzalez
17th Round: Josh Willingham
18th Round: Eric Bedard

27th Round: Mat Latos
28th Round: Kelly Johnson
29th Round: Ryan Franklin
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Really?

Yep. Aybar will for sure get a decent amount more 3B and SB. Hill will for sure have more HR and likely a .050 higher OPS. I would have Aybar with more runs, Hill with slightly more RBI. AVG slightly is in Aybar's favor.

You think you could get Aybar for Willingham?
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by lpsevier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:
Really?

Yep. Aybar will for sure get a decent amount more 3B and SB. Hill will for sure have more HR and likely a .050 higher OPS. I would have Aybar with more runs, Hill with slightly more RBI. AVG slightly is in Aybar's favor.

We'll see - I sent the trade offer a few minutes ago.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by lpsevier » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:39 pm

lpsevier wrote:
bigboy1234 wrote:
Really?

We'll see - I sent the trade offer a few minutes ago.

He rejected and countered with my Fielder for his Longoria.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah, definitely don't do that, Fielder is way more valuable in my opinion. Just reject it and leave a message saying what do you want for Aybar.

He can't be THAT high on him, as he did draft him in the 18th round.

Who were your 14th and 15th round selections? And 25th and 26th round selections (I wouldn't be that high on trading any of those guys for Callaspo)? Was Barmes drafted before Callaspo? If so I'd offer him for him.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by lpsevier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:50 pm

I got Callaspo for Willingham, but I had OF room to pay.

Return to Fantasy Baseball