Wilmer Flores

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,260

Wilmer Flores 

Post#1 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 am

Mets fan here.

You guys signed Flores, moving Marte from infield to CF - (bold move).

Teammates call him "Flo", but I never got used to that, I call him Wilmer mostly. He had an interesting mets career, a promising prospect who nobody thought would stick at SS but he was a SS most of the minors. He has a strong enough arm but a little wild, so he's better at 2nd than 3rd and he's got bad range but his hands are good enough. His range is sub part but his long reach makes up for that a bit and he runs the bases like an overweight catcher. In the minors they called him la tortuga, or "the turtle".

His bat can be interesting, mostly consistent contact hitter, low walk rate and low K rate. He fell off a bit in 2018 but his OPS+ has been pretty steady, 111, 109 and 107 last 3 years and sometimes he looks brilliant at the plate, other times, he appears a little too upright and vulnerable to balls low and outside. There was always the hope among metfans that he'd figure things out and become and 800 something OPS guy not a 700 something, but that hasn't happened yet and may never happen. He's got quick hands and a natural swing, so there's still a chance.

On the down side, he's not a good glove anywhere and the arthritis (or whatever it is) won't help but maybe playing every day and focusing on 2B could help.

He was well liked in the mets clubhouse and easy to root for. I wish him well with your organization.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/is-wilmer-flores-knee-problem-arthritis-1.21278384
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.

Return to Arizona Diamondbacks