WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Sam Perlozzo Fired 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Sam Perlozzo was just fired....

AP - Sam Perlozzo Fired

Interesting that this came right after the public support from some of the players. I'm guessing the players caught wind of this and knew that the time was coming.

I wonder what this means for the pitching coach and good friend Leo Mazzone? Definitely interesting that the interim coaching goes to bullpen coach Trembley (a highly paid and low producing bullpen I might add).

I say we just the O's go the popular fan support route and hand the reigns to Dempsey.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:01 pm

So Dempsey can get fired a year from now? If they are serious about winning, they sign Joe Girardi and give him control.

Second thing they need to do is dismantle the team and start new. Honestly, with a $90 million payroll they are in 5th place, so if they trade their main guys for top prospects, they can't finish any worse. Trade Tejada, Mora, etc and see what they can get for those players. The Orioles are in the situation they are in because they want to rebuild and contend at the same time. That makes no sense. It's one or the other and you go the whole way.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#3 » by craig01 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Firing Perlozzo wasn't too surprising.

This team seems totally dysfunctional in the bullpen.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by WizStorm » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Just when you thought the franchise couldn't get any lower...

Baltimore Sun - Girardi Turns Down O's
Joe Girardi today turned down the Orioles' offer to become their new manager, according to an ESPN report.

Orioles officials interviewed the ex-Florida Marlins manager Tuesday and came away impressed enough to ask him to replace the fired Sam Perlozzo.

While former bullpen coach Dave Trembley serves as interim manager, the Orioles now will turn to others on their list, which apparently includes Davey Johnson, who led the club to its last winning season, in 1997, and former San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker. The Orioles also were going to interview Rick Dempsey, who had been on the coaching staff before joining the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network as a commentator.

Dempsey is looking better and better afterall.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:09 pm

As a lifelong O's fan, I don't see anyone not desperate taking that job.

That franchise has been mismanaged beyond belief.

Davy Johnson still lives here in Orlando, and as much as he'd probably want to return.....I can't see it.....he likes to win too much.

Now, if Angelos would sell....hmmmm.....
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
HeatNick
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by HeatNick » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:02 am

I would love for Davy Johnson to take the job again

Return to Baltimore Orioles