Bye-bye Bedard!

Moderator: Rafael122

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Bye-bye Bedard! 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm

All the signs are pointing to a Bedard deal with Seattle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
The Mariners have asked center fielder Adam Jones to leave his Venezuelan Winter League team and return to the United States. Jones, one of Seattle's top prospects, is supposedly the main player targeted by Baltimore in the trade.

The Seattle Times reported that Jones was returning to take a physical in Baltimore. Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly confirmed that Jones was asked to return, but did not give a reason for the request.

There is plenty of speculation about the other players involved in the potential deal. Relief pitcher George Sherrill has been mentioned in some reports, especially because the Orioles need a closer to replace injured Chris Ray.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2 » by WizStorm » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Fome the Baltimore Sun blog...
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/
While Adam Jones and George Sherrill make arrangements to visit the Inner Harbor and maybe head over to Canton Square
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#3 » by TSC25 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:23 am

Not an Orioles fan and really didnt want to see Eric being traded to the AL West to cause problems for my A's,but I do think it's a good move for the O's to rebuild.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:01 pm

No offense, but I doubt the A's compete for the division crown this season. Even if the M's didn't get Bedard, they and the Angels would be the front runners.

But I agree, try and get as many prospects as possible for Bedard and Roberts, and then hope for the best.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by WizStorm » Sat Feb 9, 2008 12:21 am

It's official.

Nice to see if a few more players can be offloaded before the season starts. I'd expect quite a few other vets being pushed around the trade deadline.

Looking forward to seeing some fresh faces. Not looking forward to the losses though.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 12:39 am

Payroll currently stands at $69 million, a drop of about $21 million after trading Tejada and Bedard.

If Roberts is the next to go, that's another $4 million or so.

Anyway, I really want to see Jones play. They said this guy can be a Torri Hunter type but with more offense. And he's only 22! Jones will most likely start from day one with Markakis in right.

Sherrill will most likely close forming a solid bullpen with Bradford and Walker.

The rest of the guys are gonna be in the minor leagues, at least for the next 2 or 3 years. Tillman seems to be the one who can make the big jump out of the 3 remaining prospects.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by WizStorm » Mon Apr 7, 2008 9:38 pm

Sherrill -> 4 games, 4 saves

Adam Jones -> He just has that look of being something special. Certainly not hating having a guy with his potential hitting 8th where there is little pressure to produce, but can certainly have a big impact if he does.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 7, 2008 10:30 pm

Let's hope Sherrill keeps it up because if he has something like 25 saves by the break, MacPhail can flip him for a couple of more prospects.

Return to Baltimore Orioles