2017 bullpen

Moderator: HMFFL

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

2017 bullpen 

Post#1 » by Ruzious » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Ever since the Braves traded Kimbrell, it seems the bullpen has been held together with masking tape. It hasn't been good. But I expect we'll see a big difference starting next year. There's a lot of talent that will be ready to burst on the scene. Vizcaino is the obvious guy - already having been groomed to be the closer.

But it wouldn't surprise me if AJ Minter is the closer by the end of the 2017 season. 22 years old, absolutely dominant in AA, he was the 75th pick in the 2015 draft despite coming off of TJ surgery, he seems to have been born to be a closer. Caleb Dirks is a decent reliever prospect at Mississippi, but Minter has flown by him, imo. It doesn't hurt that Minter's a lefty.

Shae Simmons is taking this season to get healthy and stay healthy. When acquired, he was expected to be the Braves closer, and he should be in fine shape next year.

Mauricio Cabrera - the hardest thrower in baseball - including Aroldis Chapman - that means possibly the hardest thrower... ever. It's a small sample size, but so far he's got his control... under control Even Chapman doesn't have great control, but he's a tremendous player, so as long as he limits his walks, the Braves have gold here.

Chris Withrow - came back from TJ surgery this year and is doing solidly for the Braves. Remember, he averaged 11.5 SO's per 9 innings in his 2 seasons with the Dodgers totaling 56 innings. He's another guy who needed this year to prove he's healthy and show the big payoff next year. The Braves said he's a future closer when they got him.

Tyrell Jenkins - It's fine that the Braves want to give him every opportunity to be a starter, but his future is best as a reliever. He can be a stud reliever or a mediocre 5th starter. I'd prefer a stud reliever.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2017 bullpen 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Unfortunately, Tyrell is really showing why he's not starter material today.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,446

Re: 2017 bullpen 

Post#3 » by JDR720 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 pm

I would add Lucas Sims to that, he has 119k's in 99ip this season. some others are Jason Hurst and Akeel Morris.

Sims is starting, but he has control problems which is why i think i would prefer him to be a relief pitcher.

Return to Atlanta Braves