ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#701 » by HMFFL » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 am

Oakland's Fankie Montas 9-2, 2.70 era this season, has been suspended for 80 games for PED.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#702 » by HMFFL » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 am

Mets

The Mets blow a lead, lose a game, threaten a reporter

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2019/6/23/18714706/mets-cubs-vargas-callaway-lugo-degrom-alonso

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#703 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

HMFFL wrote:Mets

The Mets blow a lead, lose a game, threaten a reporter

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2019/6/23/18714706/mets-cubs-vargas-callaway-lugo-degrom-alonso

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall watching that situation. The Mets are still arguably in contention for the wild card. An incident like that is too big a distraction. Could cost the manager his job. And Vargas is like 36 years old - how does he go out of control that easily?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#704 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

MLB players are furious, willing to strike over economic system: 'We're all united'

Major League Baseball players representing their brethren at the All-Star Game in Cleveland made it quite clear this week that they want changes, big-time changes, in the next collective bargaining agreement, or there will be significant consequences.

Yes, even if it takes a work stoppage before the CBA expires Dec. 1, 2021 — the first strike in baseball since 1994-95.

“We are together on this," Pittsburgh Pirates slugger Josh Bell told USA TODAY Sports.

There’s not a single active player who has endured a work stoppage. The average age of the National League’s starting lineup was 25.8, the youngest in baseball history.

They certainly aren’t eager to be the first class to end labor peace, but then again, they’re ready to take whatever step is necessary to restore cracks in their economic system.

“We're very concerned. It’s been a little lopsided the last couple of years," Boston Red Sox DH J.D. Martinez said, “and I know the association definitely wants to do something about it."

Does that mean a willingness to strike? Absolutely.

Spoiler:
The belief among the players was always that the owners would hold the power over them when they first entered the league, paying close to the minimum salary as long as possible. But once they became free agents, they’d open those checkbooks.

Teams no longer view free agents the same, particularly those in their 30s.

“Our free agency structure and our salary structure," Kershaw said, “is that teams have a right not to pay guys when they’re getting older. The analytics say to pay guys in their prime, the younger guys.

“So, if that’s not going to happen anymore, we’ve got to find a way to get these guys paid during their peak years if they’re’ not going to be rewarded on the way out.’’

Two dozen All-Stars were making the minimum salary of $555,000, but by the time they’re eligible for free agency and potential massive paydays, they may be passed over for the next generation.

The players want change, and they want it now, refusing to sit back and wait until the CBA expires after the 2021 season. Executive director Tony Clark has had one preliminary meeting with Commissioner Rob Manfred, and they plan to meet formally again this summer.

There have been no promises of re-opening the collective bargaining agreement, but the two sides at least are willing to talk, realizing the sense of frustration by the players.
USA Today
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#705 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

There are lots of rumors surrounding Mets Noah Syndergaard so he will most likely be traded during the near future.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#706 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:03 am

Mets acquired RHP Marcus Stroman and cash considerations from the Blue Jays for LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson.

Rather than deal away from their starting pitching depth, the first deadline move that general manager Brody Van Wagenen opted to make was acquiring one of the top available starters from the Blue Jays for a pair of pitching prospects. Stroman -- who is a close friend of Steven Matz and was bord and raised in the New York area, seems to be thrilled about playing for his hometown team, despite the fact that they aren't in a pennant race this season. He's under team control through the 2020 season, though he'll likely earn a significant raise through arbitration this winter.

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#707 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:16 am

HMFFL wrote:Mets acquired RHP Marcus Stroman and cash considerations from the Blue Jays for LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson.

Rather than deal away from their starting pitching depth, the first deadline move that general manager Brody Van Wagenen opted to make was acquiring one of the top available starters from the Blue Jays for a pair of pitching prospects. Stroman -- who is a close friend of Steven Matz and was bord and raised in the New York area, seems to be thrilled about playing for his hometown team, despite the fact that they aren't in a pennant race this season. He's under team control through the 2020 season, though he'll likely earn a significant raise through arbitration this winter.

This is a head scratcher from both teams. While the Mets wanted to lessen the blow from trading Thor, by adding Stroman to their rotation, it doesn't make sense. Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Mets have a terrible defense.

From the Blue Jays side of things, they had asked the Yankees for Garcia and the Braves for Wright/Anderson in return for Stroman. So they asked the Yankees and Braves for a top 50 prospect in return, but settled on two non top 100 prospects from the Mets.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#708 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Mets acquired RHP Marcus Stroman and cash considerations from the Blue Jays for LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson.

This is a head scratcher from both teams. While the Mets wanted to lessen the blow from trading Thor, by adding Stroman to their rotation, it doesn't make sense. Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Mets have a terrible defense.

From the Blue Jays side of things, they had asked the Yankees for Garcia and the Braves for Wright/Anderson in return for Stroman. So they asked the Yankees and Braves for a top 50 prospect in return, but settled on two non top 100 prospects from the Mets.

Hard to say about rankings, but those were supposedly the top 2 pitching prospects from the Mets org - 1 of them just about ready for the bigs and the other a younger prospect tearing it up in the low minors. I know nothing more about either one. Maybe the Mets are trying to get all the high-end starters available for trade so they can ransom them off at higher prices - but times ticking on them finding buyers. Or maybe they just want to win more games - even if it doesn't get them into the wild card.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#709 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:41 pm

So, what are the Braves going to do about replacing Markakis for the next 6 weeks or so - with his wrist broken. And what if he has a setback in his recovery - it's possible he's not at 100% for the playoffs? Go with Inciarte in RF or move Acuna to RF? Should they go with Duvall or some combo of him and Culberson? Bring up Demerritte? Inciarte's probably going to get the bulk of the PT, because he's the veteran and the only lefty hitter among them. I don't see the Braves making a trade to replace Nick.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#710 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, what are the Braves going to do about replacing Markakis for the next 6 weeks or so - with his wrist broken. And what if he has a setback in his recovery - it's possible he's not at 100% for the playoffs? Go with Inciarte in RF or move Acuna to RF? Should they go with Duvall or some combo of him and Culberson? Bring up Demerritte? Inciarte's probably going to get the bulk of the PT, because he's the veteran and the only lefty hitter among them. I don't see the Braves making a trade to replace Nick.

Acuna to RF, Inciarte CF, Riley/Duvall platoon in LF. Especially if Duvall can continue to hit.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#711 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#712 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm SO GLAD THIS dude isn't coming to Atlanta:

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#713 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:43 am

MLB pitcher Randy Dobnak, who was just called up to the majors, has been driving for Uber and Lyft for 2 years

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/05/twins-pitcher-randy-dobnak-drives-for-uber-and-lyft-on-the-side.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#714 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#715 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 am

The Milwaukee Brewers have clinched a playoff spot.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#716 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#717 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:54 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#718 » by HMFFL » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Washington vs Houston in the World Series.
Let's go Houston!

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#719 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:16 pm

HMFFL wrote:Washington vs Houston in the World Series.
Let's go Houston!

Should have been us. But yeah let's go Houston!
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#720 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Great news for our Ole Pal David Ross, he's been hired to be the next Manager of the Cubs. I'm happy for him! I've always liked Rossy!

Return to Atlanta Braves