ImageImageImage

(News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves?

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,777

Michael Bourn: no contract extension offer yet 

Post#121 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50 am

Michael Bourn says the Braves haven't approached him about an extension so far, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Twitter link). Bourn will earn $4.4MM in 2012 and hit free agency after the season unless the Braves lock him up.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,610

Re: Michael Bourn: no contract extension offer yet 

Post#122 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 am

I hope the Braves can re-sign him, he is a Boras client though.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Re: Michael Bourn: no contract extension offer yet 

Post#123 » by bstrassburg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:Michael Bourn says the Braves haven't approached him about an extension so far, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Twitter link). Bourn will earn $4.4MM in 2012 and hit free agency after the season unless the Braves lock him up.

He made $4.4 million last year, he is up to $6.845 million this season. I'd love to see the Braves make every effort to try to re-sign him as I think he offers something that we don't have and haven't had in a while, a lead-off hitter with a high OBP and over 40 stolen bases. We haven't had that regularly in a player since Otis Nixon. Furcal had a great rookie season and contract season but inbetween wasn't particularly good.

The bad thing about a guy like Bourn is he offers a valuable skillset at a non-premium price, which will means there will be a lot of teams interested and there will be teams that will offer him more than we will, especially with Boras. Just have to hope he enjoys his time here this season and we have a winner on our hands and he values championships over money.
Jaer007ll
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Heyward working hard to change bad habits 

Post#124 » by Jaer007ll » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 pm

SPAM
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Re: Offseason Thread (News & Bar Talk) What's Next? 

Post#125 » by bstrassburg » Thu Mar 1, 2012 12:54 am

Not worth a new thread but interesting, from Jim Bowden on ESPN:

The New York Yankees have delayed extending Nick Swisher’s contract because the club’s policy is to wait until the original contract expires before signing the next one. This could backfire on the Yankees with the Atlanta Braves making Swisher one of their top free-agent targets next offseason. If that happens, don’t be surprised if the Yankees make a corresponding all-out effort next year to sign Andre Ethier, a player they think would fit in perfectly at Yankee Stadium thanks to his left-handed pull power.

Braves signing Swisher would be pretty cool. Anything that gets Joanna Garcia to Braves games is a huge win in my opinion.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Murphy working with Braves' broadcast team 

Post#126 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:20 pm

Dale Murphy has returned to Spring Training this year to reminisce with old friends and interact with current Braves players, some of whom are too young to remember when he won back-to-back National League Most Valuable Player Awards in 1982 and '83.

Murphy will also spend portions of the next two weeks providing color commentary for at least five of the Braves' Spring Training games broadcast on radio. The experience could prove beneficial, as there is a chance he will also provide some color commentary for some regular-season television broadcasts.

"I'm gaining a greater appreciation for how the media does things," Murphy said with a laugh.

Murphy had plenty to talk about as he was behind the microphone for Monday's 10-5 win over the Astros. His first color commentary work was on Saturday, when the Braves did not record a hit until the eighth inning in a loss to the Tigers. http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... l&c_id=atl

Do you like Murphy in the booth?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Chipper:  

Post#127 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 am

Chipper: “I don’t know if I can make it through this year”

After Chipper Jones discussed encouraging signs he saw from the struggling Braves in a 4-3 loss to St. Louis Monday, the third baseman confided his most difficult spring training has him wondering how much more he can take.

“I’ve said it a million times, it’s hell getting old,” said Jones, who’ll be 40 next month and sounds as if he’s leaning increasingly toward retirement after this season.

His balky right knee is hurting even more than he thought it would. He went 0-for-3 on Monday and is 0-for-8 with three walks in four games this spring, having missed five games with leg soreness after playing the Grapefruit League opener.

“Tomorrow might be my last day,” he said “I don’t know. I don’t really focus on it that much. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close. I’m signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games, I got an option for next year. I don’t know what next year entails.

“I don’t know if I can make it through this year.”

Jones, a likely future Hall of Famer, is entering the last guaranteed year of a contract that will pay $14 million in 2012. The deal includes a $7 million team option for 2013, which vests automatically at $9 million if he plays 123 games in 2012. http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blo ... raves_blog
Superiorblogman
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Chipper:  

Post#128 » by Superiorblogman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm

typical ATL sports teams. The people getting paid to be stars can't do there jobs. So, it trickles down to younger and sometimes lessor players to get all the blame for the teams failure. Chipper should just hang it up instead of being in and out of the lineup playing 40 games just to get paid.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: Chipper:  

Post#129 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Superiorblogman wrote:typical ATL sports teams. The people getting paid to be stars can't do there jobs. So, it trickles down to younger and sometimes lessor players to get all the blame for the teams failure. Chipper should just hang it up instead of being in and out of the lineup playing 40 games just to get paid.

Again GTFO ! Chippers comments were taken out of context by the reporters.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#130 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Chipper touts McCann as new face of Braves
Heyward, Prado, Terdoslavich could also become successors

"Brian McCann is solely going to be the face of this franchise starting this year," Jones said. "He's a great kid. He's a great player, and he's the kind of guy you want to build a ballclub around. It would be sad to see him go somewhere else. Unfortunately, the business of baseball and economics of baseball may not allow it. We'll have to see." http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... l&c_id=atl
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#131 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 am

Apparently the Braves and Nats are talking to the Cubs about a trade for Marlon Byrd. Cubs want pitching.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: (News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves? 

Post#132 » by ohara » Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 pm

We just signed LF Felix Pie and he is now down in Gwinette. Interesting signing.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#133 » by Nemesis21 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 am

So I've seen a few times recently that the Brewers may trade Greinke. I'd love to have him in ATL.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#134 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Braves should sign Oswalt or trade for Greinke.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,004

Post#135 » by ATL Boy » Fri May 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Braves should sign Oswalt or trade for Greinke.

The Rangers have pretty much already signed Oswalt, but yes lets get Greinke
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#136 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Braves should sign Oswalt or trade for Greinke.

The Rangers have pretty much already signed Oswalt, but yes lets get Greinke

Wonder what it would take to get Greinke ?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#137 » by HMFFL » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm not sure if management would be willing to give up what it would take to acquire Greinke. Management seems to view our young talent as flashy toys, but yet they have no flash.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#138 » by Nemesis21 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Braves have sent Medlen down to AAA, to call up Constanza. Should have sent down Minor, moved Medlen to the rotation. :banghead:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#139 » by HMFFL » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Braves have sent Medlen down to AAA, to call up Constanza. Should have sent down Minor, moved Medlen to the rotation. :banghead:

I'm not sure what the team is thinking. Oh well, I hope Constanza provides us with some offense.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#140 » by Nemesis21 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Pastornicky sent to AAA, Simmons up in ATL.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blo ... -triple-a/

Return to Atlanta Braves