ImageImageImage

(News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves?

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,779

Re: (News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves? 

Post#161 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 8, 2012 4:29 am

Michael Bourn is a replacement in the All-Star game.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... nl_roster/
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,610

Post#162 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 pm

From MLBTradeRumors.com,

Olney suggests the Braves could be a fit for Upton (Twitter links). Atlanta could build a deal around third baseman/outfielder Martin Prado and pitching prospects, Olney writes. Upton would balance the Braves' lineup and provide the team with cost certainty going forward, Olney adds.

^^^ If you do that trade, who plays 3b in 2013? Francisco ? Meh! Not sure if Terdoslavich or Salcedo are ready to take over 3b full time by '13.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#163 » by ohara » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Talk about a terrific outfield with Upton, Bourn and Heyward. That would be sick - and I mean that in the very best way! Add that to the youth and promise of Simmons and Feeman, and WOW! Just saying it is worth thinking about.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,004

Post#164 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Upton is one of the best outfielders in the league!! Wed be WS contendors if we traded Prado and say Vizcaino for him, but I think wed ask for a decent 3b prospect back
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#165 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Roster moves today, Sheets called up, Delgado sent down, Wilson to the DL, trade for SS Paul Janish.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#166 » by ohara » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I doubted Wren on the contract for Ben Sheets. Let me state publicly that, at least for one game, I was proven wrong. Great game by Sheets Sunday. I will gladly eat all the crow I have coming if he can prove me wrong like that every game he pitches! :)
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#167 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 am

From MLBTradeRumors.com,

The Braves have been connected to several pitchers this summer, but ESPN's Jayson Stark hears from other teams that Atlanta is only interested in acquiring top-of-the-rotation pitchers at the deadline (Twitter link).

As Stark notes, that contradicts reports that link the Braves to names like Francisco Liriano and Jason Vargas. Atlanta has been linked to Zack Greinke, but GM Frank Wren will reportedly only part with his prized young pitching prospects if he's able to extend Greinke. Wren is unlikely to exceed $20MM annually in an offer for Greinke. The Brewers themselves are said to be gearing up for an offer in th five-year, $100MM range to retain their ace.

The Braves have seen young arms like Mike Minor and Randall Delgado struggle this season and turned to Ben Sheets in the short-term. Sheets had a brilliant Atlanta debut, but it's unlikely that he'd be counted on for significant contributions. After losing Brandon Beachy to Tommy John surgery earlier this summer, it stands to reason that they'd seek a front-line arm to replace his fantastic 2012 numbers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#168 » by HMFFL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

How much money do you think Frank Wren would be willing or able to offer Cole Hamels this off-season?

Do you prefer Cole Hamels over Zack Greinke?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#169 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm

HMFFL wrote:How much money do you think Frank Wren would be willing or able to offer Cole Hamels this off-season?

Not sure, after the season we will be free of Chipper and Lowe's contracts. Mac needs to be re-signed, I'd like Bourn to be re-signed also. I prefer Greinke over anybody, I'd like to see my friend play for a good team and be close to home(Orlando). This off-season will be tough for Wren with Liberty Media being so damn cheap.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:How much money do you think Frank Wren would be willing or able to offer Cole Hamels this off-season?

Not sure, after the season we will be free of Chipper and Lowe's contracts. Mac needs to be re-signed, I'd like Bourn to be re-signed also. I prefer Greinke over anybody, I'd like to see my friend play for a good team and be close to home(Orlando). This off-season will be tough for Wren with Liberty Media being so damn cheap.

I agree with all of these statements, we really need Mac and Bourn resigns and Id love Greinke as well, although I would still celebrate if we signed Cole
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#171 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:

I prefer us to lock Bourn up for sure, but I have my doubts. Mac also need to be brought back and I feel confident that an agreement will be reached. I won't complain if we sign Hamels or Greinke long-term. We just need a starter that we can rely on.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#172 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Ryan Dempster's first choice would be a trade to the Dodgers and his second is the Braves.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... rs_braves/
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#173 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Martin Prado said Wednesday that he has not engaged in long-term contract discussions with the Braves.
ESPN's Buster Olney reported earlier this week that the Atlanta front office was aiming to get Prado signed to an extension at some point this summer. But it might have to wait. "That is not something I want to think about right now," Prado told MLB.com. "I just want to focus on this season." He will be arbitration-eligible in 2013.
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... e_35128410
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#174 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:19 am

From MLBTradeRumors.com,

The Braves are seeking pitching help prior to the trade deadline, and MLB.com's Mark Bowman reports that they recently called the Red Sox about Jon Lester. Boston is not yet looking to sell, something we heard earlier this month.

"Pitching is at a premium," said GM Frank Wren. "It's so hard to get pitching because there are a limited amount of guys. There are a lot of guys being bantered around out there, and they're not really available because teams have not determined whether they're in or out. In some cases, they haven't determined whether they can sign them or not. It's really a tough market."

Lester, 28, is in the middle of the worst full season of his career. His 4.80 ERA is more than a full run higher than his 3.67 career mark, and his strikeout rate (7.6 K/9) is his lowest since 2008. The good news is that his 2.6 BB/9 is a career-best. Lester is owed $11.625MM next season with a $13MM club option for 2014.

Bowman says the Braves appear to be much more interested in Zack Greinke than Ryan Dempster, but they will not mortgage the future for a rental player. Atlanta is also in the market for bullpen help and Bowman opines that they may check in former Brave Omar Infante.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:06 am

Braves were interested in Lester but were shot down
http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... on_lester/

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#176 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Braves were interested in Lester but were shot down
http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... on_lester/

2013: $11.625M
2014: $13M club

Is this a good indication of the amount of money that we want to add? This concerns me because we possibly won't attempt to sign any star free agent pitchers this off-season to contracts that exceed $15 (only assuming) million per year.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#177 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Braves close to a deal for Dempster,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81921 ... n-dempster

Rumors are that the Cubs like Mike Minor, wonder if Wren could get Dempster for Minor and Pastornicky?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#178 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:30 pm

MLBTradeRumors.com says Delgado could be going to the Cubs,

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
ohara
Head Coach

Post#179 » by ohara » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Delgado for Dempster? Cubs better be covering his salary the rest of this season.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm

ohara wrote:Delgado for Dempster? Cubs better be covering his salary the rest of this season.

Didnt Wren say he would only trade his prized possesions for resigned players? Id have no problem with delgado for Dempster if Ryan came resigned

Return to Atlanta Braves