ImageImageImage

(News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves?

Moderator: HMFFL

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: (News & Bar Talk) What's Next For The Braves? 

Post#141 » by ohara » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Braves one of the team looking at Ben Sheets. No thank you.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#142 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

ohara wrote:Braves one of the team looking at Ben Sheets. No thank you.

I just read he threw for Phillies, Braves, Yankees, and Angels.

I want nothing to do with him.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#143 » by ohara » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Ken Rosethal says the Braves are NOT in on Youkilis talks. Too bad. If the price was not too high, I think a professional hitter like him could be very helpful. Think of all the times our pitching was solid but our bats did nothing and cost us the game. Yukilis could be key down the stretch. But they may have spoken early on and Boston may be wanting too much.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#144 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm

ohara wrote:Ken Rosethal says the Braves are NOT in on Youkilis talks. Too bad. If the price was not too high, I think a professional hitter like him could be very helpful. Think of all the times our pitching was solid but our bats did nothing and cost us the game. Yukilis could be key down the stretch. But they may have spoken early on and Boston may be wanting too much.

I agree, could have DFA'd Francisco with Youk here.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#145 » by ohara » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Braves one of six teams looking at Garza. Dont buy it. Team is too cheap to pay the price for
Garza. Yep, I cannot help but feel cynical about our FO until they prove me wrong. But, I do give them credit for the Bourn trade last year. But they will piss that all away if they simply let him walk rather than try to keep him in Atlanta. We have waited a long time for a quality CF and leadoff man. Now we have one, and we cannot afford to let him walk.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#146 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

ohara wrote:Braves one of six teams looking at Garza. Dont buy it. Team is too cheap to pay the price for
Garza. Yep, I cannot help but feel cynical about our FO until they prove me wrong. But, I do give them credit for the Bourn trade last year. But they will piss that all away if they simply let him walk rather than try to keep him in Atlanta. We have waited a long time for a quality CF and leadoff man. Now we have one, and we cannot afford to let him walk.

I would love to keep Bourn, but with the tight budget, could be difficult. Let's not forget Brain McCann is also in a contract season.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#147 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
ohara wrote:Braves one of six teams looking at Garza. Dont buy it. Team is too cheap to pay the price for

I would love to keep Bourn, but with the tight budget, could be difficult. Let's not forget Brain McCann is also in a contract season.

so is JJ if we intend to keep him, then we have Hanson and J-Hey to worry about down the stretch. I guess thats the price we pay for drafting great prospects 8-)
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#148 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 am

It's looking like McCann's all star game streak will come to an end, he is currently 4th among NL catchers.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#149 » by HMFFL » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Dan Uggla was not pleased when Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez sent a text to alert him that he was going to give him a chance to rest during Friday night's series opener. But at the same time, Uggla realized his recent struggles had reached a point where Gonzalez felt it was best to leave him out of the starting lineup for the first time this season. http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... l&c_id=atl
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#150 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jul 1, 2012 5:50 pm

Braves sign Sheets to a minor league deal,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81192 ... e-contract
ohara
Head Coach

Post#151 » by ohara » Sun Jul 1, 2012 6:32 pm

Really Frank Wren? Sheets? Waste of money. Hope he never pitches a game for us. Yuck!
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#152 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jul 1, 2012 6:43 pm

ohara wrote:Really Frank Wren? Sheets? Waste of money. Hope he never pitches a game for us. Yuck!

Low risk, high reward type move. Sheets will start in AA Mississippi, Wren said he watched Sheets pitch a 5 inning shout out at Georgia Tech. I don't know who he was pitching too. It's not like Sheets got millions from the Braves.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#153 » by ohara » Mon Jul 2, 2012 2:44 pm

David O'Brien thinks the Braves can go after Greinke once he becomes a FA. But would have to be closer to the $15 mil/yr rather than $20mil/yr. If that happens, he will have to really want to be in Atlanta, because you have to believe other teams will offer up more than the $15mil/yr number. But he would be a very nice addition to this staff heading into the future.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#154 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 2, 2012 3:20 pm

I guess we'll see how things work out for Sheets. I have never been a fan of his, but we need depth, so I hope he can be serviceable.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#155 » by ohara » Wed Jul 4, 2012 12:53 am

Well, the Braves want Greinke, and Greinke likes the Braves. Time to do something Frank Wren!
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Post#156 » by bstrassburg » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:48 am

Living in Brewers Country, I am so excited that the Braves signed Ben Sheets (always was one of the few Brewers I liked and even almost bought his jersey, although I couldn't bring myself to buy a Brewers jersey), hopefully he's still got a little fuel in the tank. Anxious to see how he pitches tomorrow, could be a great addition for the second half.

Also very excited about the Greinke news, hopefully they can make a good trade and get an extension done. I'd hate to give up assets to have him walk away at the end of the year but it's a worthwhile gamble. Never viewed Greinke as a Top 10 pitcher, but he'd easily be our ace and think he'd be a very solid anchor for the rotation for 5 or 6 years, whatever we give him for an extension. If he could be our Huddy replacement, I'd be a-ok with that.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#157 » by ohara » Wed Jul 4, 2012 4:12 pm

Brewers sending scouts to check out the Rangers. Texas is likely the biggest competition for Atlanta in the Greinke sweepstakes. Have not seen anything about the Brewers scouting the Braves. So this may just be minor news, but it doesn't make me feel real good about our chances. You know Texas is loaded and can make a quality offer. And who would not want to join that team and be catapulted right into World Series talk even before the AS Break? Once Nolan Ryan got involved with the Rangers, seems a lot of good things have happened to them. At least they got to the WS in back to back years, even tho they lost both. They still got there.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#158 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 4, 2012 4:28 pm

ohara wrote:Well, the Braves want Greinke, and Greinke likes the Braves. Time to do something Frank Wren!

Wren needs to get bold and make a statement.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#159 » by ohara » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:53 pm

Venters to the DL for "elbow impingment". Nice cover story. Reading DOB, it is clear that he and Fredi have been asked in the past if there was an injury, and everyone would deny it. Now they say he does? Dont buy it at all. They are going to sit him to get his head right, and then send him down to AAA Gwinett to see if he can pitch to AAA competition without getting knocked around. Thank God they are finally doing something with him.

Will be interesting to see the young man they are bringing up - Luis Avilan. Was just promoted Tuesday to AAA Gwinett, and gets promoted to the big time without ever having thrown a pitch at the AAA level. Must have some good stuff to get pushed up that fast. Anyway, welcome to the Big Time Mr. Avilan!

Edit: Yeah. They are not even planning an MRI. That tells you something. They are just sitting him right now. Dont buy any issue with his elbow.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Post#160 » by bstrassburg » Thu Jul 5, 2012 8:01 pm

ohara wrote:Will be interesting to see the young man they are bringing up - Luis Avilan. Was just promoted Tuesday to AAA Gwinett, and gets promoted to the big time without ever having thrown a pitch at the AAA level. Must have some good stuff to get pushed up that fast. Anyway, welcome to the Big Time Mr. Avilan!

Don't know how good his stuff is but most of the rational for the call-up has to do with him being a LHP and their being a severe lack of them in the Braves organization. His numbers in AA were good but he is a starting pitcher and not a relief pitcher, so hopefully he can make that adjustment in the big leagues.

Return to Atlanta Braves