ImageImageImage

Ryan Dempster Traded to Braves? Wants to go to LA

Moderator: HMFFL

bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Ryan Dempster Traded to Braves? Wants to go to LA 

Post#1 » by bstrassburg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Sounds like a deal is very close that Ryan Dempster is coming to the Braves. Braves have 14th worst ERA in NL and Dempster has the best ERA of any starting pitcher, so the fit makes a ton of sense.

Not sure what's going out, Bowman speculates Delgado. Not sure how I feel about that, think Delgado could be a very solid #3 pitcher in a few years, but (understandably) the Braves really want to win now.

MTC.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Ryan Dempster Traded to Braves 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Not sure how I feel about Delgado being traded either. I had read before that the Cubs like Mike Minor.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by bstrassburg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Sounds like it's Dempster for Delgado straight-up. Still working on the money situation, have to believe the Cubs are picking up most of that tab on this one.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#4 » by ohara » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Better be paying ALL Dempsters salary for the rest of this season. Otherwise, not happy about trading Delgado for a 2 month rental. That would be a horrible deal.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by bstrassburg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Part of the rationale is the Braves believe they can re-sign Dempster after the season is over and believe they have a much better shot at re-signing Dempster than they would Greinke. But I agree ohara, right now it is an overpayment (unless, Dempster pitches like he has and wins us a ring, then it's worth it ;))
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Ryan Dempster tweets that 'there is no trade'

Ryan Dempster wrote on his foundation's official Twitter account Monday that "there is no trade."
"Don't know where this info came from," added the 35-year-old right-hander. Perhaps he hasn't been filled in yet about the negotiations, or maybe those negotiations have suddenly come to a screeching halt. Multiple reports are claiming that Dempster has been traded to the Braves for 22-year-old right-hander Randall Delgado. Dempster does carry the right to veto any deal.
Source: Ryan Dempster on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Id be thrilled if it were Minor and Pastornicky for Dempster but unless Ryan pitches the way he has been and resigns then I dont like giving Delgado for him
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#8 » by ohara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 am

I saw on the Cubs board and also at AJC from someone that the holdup might have been the Braves not wanting to give up Delgado unless they had Dempster extended a couple years. Smart move by Wren. Hate giving up Delgado, but if Dempster has 2-3 more years in him like he is pitching this season, it will be well worth it.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:12 am

ohara wrote:I saw on the Cubs board and also at AJC from someone that the holdup might have been the Braves not wanting to give up Delgado unless they had Dempster extended a couple years. Smart move by Wren. Hate giving up Delgado, but if Dempster has 2-3 more years in him like he is pitching this season, it will be well worth it.

I thought this in the beginning, no way Wren gives up his prized possesions for a rental that has a good chance to bolt in 2 months
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Braves deal for Dempster pending his approval

The Braves are prepared to add Ryan Dempster to their rotation, but will first have to wait for the veteran pitcher's approval.

The Braves reached an agreement on Monday to acquire Dempster from the Cubs. But Dempster must accept the trade before it can be official. This is a right he has earned because he has played in the Majors for at least 10 years and been with the same team for at least five years.

"I know what you guys know, basically the same thing, maybe a little bit more. I'm not going to lie to you about that," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "But that's all I know right now. We're in a holding pattern."

Cubs manager Dale Sveum painted a different picture while suggesting that a deal had never been agreed upon between the two teams.

"I found out when I came in off the field from early BP," Sveum said. "Somebody said they saw it on the website, so I got on the website and saw it, and called the higher-ups to make sure, and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening, I don't know where that came from.' That's where we are with that." http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/arti ... l&c_id=atl
ohara
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ohara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 pm

If he is putting off coming to Atlanta because he wants to be a Dodger, then screw him and let him go to LA. Pony up JT and trade him for Greinke. I'd rather pay Greinke for 5 years than Dempster for 3 anyway. Been cutting grass in this heat today, I'm tired and aggravated, and dont need Dempster's whining to add to my aggravation.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by bstrassburg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 pm

ohara wrote:If he is putting off coming to Atlanta because he wants to be a Dodger, then screw him and let him go to LA. Pony up JT and trade him for Greinke. I'd rather pay Greinke for 5 years than Dempster for 3 anyway. Been cutting grass in this heat today, I'm tired and aggravated, and dont need Dempster's whining to add to my aggravation.

That is exactly what's happening, the latest from MLBTR:

Dempster told reporters, including Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, that he's taking his time to weigh his options . He plans to pitch for the Cubs tomorrow. "I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go," Dempster said, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune (on Twitter).
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Re: Ryan Dempster Traded to Braves? Wants to go to LA 

Post#13 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:54 am

I say time to move on, if Dumpster doesn't want to be here then let the tool stay on the scrub Cubs because the Dodgers have moved on to trying to get Garza.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to Atlanta Braves