ImageImageImage

Vote: 2018 Braves rotation....

Moderator: HMFFL

Who do you want to see the Braves add to the rotation?

Michael Fulmer - via trade
No votes
Chris Archer - via trade
No votes
Jake Arrieta - via FA
No votes
Masahiro Tanaka - via FA (rumors are strong that he will opt out)
25%
Madison Bumgarner - via FA (also could opt out)
50%
Other
25%

Total votes: 4

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Vote: 2018 Braves rotation.... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

The Braves will try to add a frontline starter to the rotation again this winter.

Julio Teheran, Mike Foltynewicz and Sean Newcomb will all return in 2018. The Braves have a 2018 club option on R.A. Dickey.

I personally would like to see Dickey's option picked up, it's slightly higher than what he made this season. He's a solid vet, good clubhouse guy, and will give you 180-200 + IP.

I believe(and the Braves may too) that Gohara and Fried need more time. Don't want to rush them a la Blair & Wisler. Both should spend most of next season in AAA. Lucus Sims could be an emergency starter/long relief option for us. I just don't think he's starter material, could be good in the bullpen though.

Vote on who you would like to see the Braves acquire, if a player isn't in the poll, I'll add them. If you don't think Dickey's option should be picked up, include your second starter you want to see.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Re: Vote: 2018 Braves rotation.... 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm

My 'Other' vote is for none of the above.

RA Dickey
Julio Teheran
Luis Gohara

and more kids...
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:My 'Other' vote is for none of the above.

RA Dickey
Julio Teheran
Luis Gohara

and more kids...

So you want to be worse than this year and last year?? Gohara needs more time as does Fried. Do you want to see them become Blair and Wisler? I doubt you do. Where's Folty??
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Remember, Gohara's games have been all against big hitting teams - Washington twice and Texas. He may or may not be ready, but I'd like to see one of the big 3 (Gohara, Allard or Soroka) in there to start next year.

I think Tanaka or Bumgarner would be the best choices of them - being free agents (hopefully) and 28/29 years old.

Tanaka/Bumgarner
Teheran
Newcomb
Folty
Gohara

Dickey can probably still play, but 8 mil for a 44 year old... too much, imo. $4 mil I'd probably say ok.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:25 pm

I really don't want to see Gohara and Fried become Wisler and Blair. They latter two were rushed and both can barely post an ERA under 4 in AAA. NO NEED to rush any of the youngsters. Allard and Soroka are farther off then Gohara and Fried. We will see Allard, Soroka promoted to AAA, where they should join Gohara and Fried. It would be terrible to rush any of those four.

Oh please 8 mill for Dickey isn't as bad as you are making it seem. Who cares about his age? He still gives you 180-200+ innings with and ERA in the 4-4.50 range. And compared to what we gave Colon, that is a steal. Not to mention he is a great club house guy, well liked, and why not have a vet to mentor some of these youngsters when they do come up??
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Well, he's a knuckleballer, so I'm not sure how much of a mentor he'd be. Just being a veteran likable guy doesn't necessarily translate to being a good mentor. I don't think it would be a terrible move to keep him at 8 mil, but I'd lean against it. We can agree to disagree. I'd rather at least see how Gohara does in Spring Training before blocking him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:20 pm

R.A. Dickey Contemplating Retirement At Age 42

Dickey isn't sure if he'll return to the Atlanta Braves in 2018, or even still be pitching in the Major Leagues.

"I'd be lying to say I didn't have some emotions about it," Dickey said. "This could be my last start ever at a home venue. But we're going to make that decision at the end of the season and see how I feel and what goes on there."

The Braves hold a $8 million option on his contract for next season.
RealGM Wiretap
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Real good performance by Dickey last night. Maybe I was wrong, and the Braves should pick up that option - if he still wants to pitch. I don't about you guys, but I wouldn't mind pitching for $8 million. It wouldn't be a hard choice. :)
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Well apparently he is strongly considering retiring, he said in a post game interview last night. Said he will talk it over with his family in the winter. I hope he returns for 2018, gives us one less need of a pitcher.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:So you want to be worse than this year and last year?? Gohara needs more time as does Fried. Do you want to see them become Blair and Wisler? I doubt you do. Where's Folty??

It's gonna be hard to send Gohara back to the minors next year...

Read on Twitter

_____

Coppolella is quoted today in published reports that the Braves will look to their young arms to take a step forward in 2018. That tells me Julio Teheran, who was awful for most of the year at home but has turned around his season the past month, will be here. Mike Foltynewicz and Luiz Gohara look like locks for the 2018 rotation, with Sean Newcomb likely to be in the top five, too. Braves Wire
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:So you want to be worse than this year and last year?? Gohara needs more time as does Fried. Do you want to see them become Blair and Wisler? I doubt you do. Where's Folty??

It's gonna be hard to send Gohara back to the minors next year...

Read on Twitter

_____

Coppolella is quoted today in published reports that the Braves will look to their young arms to take a step forward in 2018. That tells me Julio Teheran, who was awful for most of the year at home but has turned around his season the past month, will be here. Mike Foltynewicz and Luiz Gohara look like locks for the 2018 rotation, with Sean Newcomb likely to be in the top five, too. Braves Wire

We'll see. That's dumb IMO. 4.63 ERA in 23 IP at Majors level, is not enough for me to say he is a lock for 2018 rotation.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Would any of you be interested in trading for Gerrit Cole? Might not cost as much as Archer.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#13 » by ATL Boy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Would any of you be interested in trading for Gerrit Cole? Might not cost as much as Archer.

Depending on the price absolutely. I've always been a Cole fan. He's just a couple years removed from a near CY Young season.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Would any of you be interested in trading for Gerrit Cole? Might not cost as much as Archer.

Depending on the price absolutely. I've always been a Cole fan. He's just a couple years removed from a near CY Young season.

Supposedly the Pirates are shopping him and McCutchen. I would definitely look into Cole, as you said if the price is right. I'm thinking I would like Cole over Archer/Fulmer. Archer would cost the most out of the 3.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:

Supposedly the Pirates are shopping him and McCutchen. I would definitely look into Cole, as you said if the price is right. I'm thinking I would like Cole over Archer/Fulmer. Archer would cost the most out of the 3.

Cole would be a very nice addition.

I hope Pittsburgh trades McCutchen as well. I would like to see him on a true contender with a high chance to win a World Series.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 pm

I wonder what it would take to get Cole? I'm thinking he'd be cheaper than Archer or any of the FAs. Probably around the same cost as Fulmer, however Cole is a FA after the 2019 season. So we could be trading for only 2 years of his service, with a chance to resign him.

Return to Atlanta Braves