ImageImageImage

Braves GM John Coppolella resigns.....

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Braves GM John Coppolella resigns..... 

Post#21 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

It gets worse and worse....
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm

The major consolation:

We have serious talent across all levels of the farm system.

Even with Maitan gone, we are on the verge of something big.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#23 » by ATL Boy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm still holding out hope that we can keep Maitan
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#24 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Hart may not be innocent in this matter, Bill Shanks of the Macon Telegraph reports in a piece that’s worth reading in full. He “knew everything,” according to two scouts who spoke with Shanks, with one source saying that “(Hart) is just as guilty as Coppy. He helped create this mess by letting Coppy do what he wanted to do.” If true, Hart could be on his way out of Atlanta. His contract is set to expire after the World Series, when the league is likely to announce the results of an investigation that continues to see allegations pour in, per Shanks. MLB investigators have not spoken with Hart, Shanks writes, but they have interviewed Coppolella multiple times, including at his house, and Blakely, among other past and current Braves employees. The league could also talk with some of the Braves’ international scouts, Shanks adds. Even after his resignation, the Braves offered Coppolella a severance package – a move that “amazed” several scouts, Shanks relays – but he rejected it and has hired an attorney, which could suggest that lawsuits are forthcoming.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:Sounds like John S and Hart (especially Hart) need to go...And they probably do need a Dayton Moore to restore credibility.

Nemesis21 wrote:John S and Hart will do all that they can to bring back Dayton Moore.

Dayton Moore stays mum about Atlanta job in end-of-the-year presser

Moore talks about the future of the team - but is he part of it?

Dayton Moore met with the press in an end-of-the-year press conference to discuss the past year, the direction of the franchise, and his own future, which you can listen to at 810 WHB. Dayton has been rumored to be a prime target for the Atlanta Braves for their open General Manager job, but he insisted he has not been contacted about the opening. He reiterated that he felt it was unprofessional to comment more about the job and that he was “extremely passionate about leading”, not only as a General Manager, but as a member of this community.

When pressed by 810 WHB’s Danny Clinkscale on whether he could unequivocally say he would turn down the Braves job, Moore demurred.

“I get the connection there, because that’s where I started in this game. So it’s very natural for someone to ask that question...but again I don’t think it requires me to comment at this point or needs me to comment further.”
Royals Review

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#27 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Of course he's not going to admit he has interest or Braves have interest, while still employed with KC.

Braves CEO Terry McGuirk needs to clean house, John S retire, John Hart goodbye, hire Dayton Moore as GM & Pres of Baseball operations. I have no issue giving Moore that promotion and having him only answer to McGuirk.

This just continues to look bad, and looks like Hart knew what Coppy was doing or just pretended not to. We need stability in the front office now and Moore provides that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:32 pm

And the best way for John Hart to get Dayton Moore is for John Hart to quit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Former Braves employee comes to Coppolella’s defense

Coppolella obviously didn’t rub everyone the wrong way, or else he wouldn’t have gotten the GM job to begin with or kept it for three years (two with the title GM following one year as de facto GM working alongside president of baseball operations John Hart). And while the overwhelming majority of comments about him have been negative since this scandal unfolded, at least one former Braves employee stepped forward in support of the fallen GM.

My name is (name omitted by request)…. Just something I wanted to get off my chest about Coppy that hasn’t been mentioned by anyone’s sources, as it doesn’t relate to his firing.

In all of the criticism he has received for his conduct, which I won’t try to defend or even address as I don’t know nearly enough about them to have an opinion, I thought people should know how good Coppy was to people like me. There are hundreds of people out there who have wanted to get into baseball operations and sent emails to Coppy asking for advice, and each one has a thorough reply from him, with specific suggestions tailored to that person’s background, along inspirational words of encouragement. He took the time to send me an email that was over two full pages long that addressed every little question I had. I’ve run into several other people with similar stories, and am sure there are plenty others who have had email exchanges similar to ours. When I was scouting for the Braves, we had to send an email report to (various Braves officials) after finishing our coverage of a given affiliate, with a one sentence blurb on each player from that team who we thought could play in the MLB. Without fail, within an hour of sending that email, Coppy sent an email back saying thanks, asking about your family, making the extra effort to know how appreciative he was of your hard work.

Fairly or unfairly, the coverage of the scandal has painted Coppy as this heartless cheater, but to kids like me who just loved the game and wanted more than anything to be a part of it, he was a godsend. I don’t know if this info has any utility to you whatsoever, but I just wanted someone in the media to know that as much turmoil there may have been in the front office, as much as he may have pissed off other GM’s, and as egregious as his violations may have been, there is not a doubt in my mind that he is a genuinely good person, and I am confident there are plenty of others out there who would say the same thing.
AJC
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:33 am

Ruzious wrote:Rosenthall said Coppy had a verbal contract agreement with a 14 year old SS. Coppy... seriously?

Really tired of Hart acting like he's Mr. Clean. He needs to quit or get fired ASAP, imo. He should NOT be making decisions for the Braves. I love John S, but it's a good opportunity to retire.

It could be very difficult for John S to retire on terms like this. It's not his terms and he's not the type of guy that's just going to fold his cards.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 am

^
Pleased to hear that it won't be dragged out.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#33 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Source: John S and Hart were not aware of what Coppy was doing.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21226692/atlanta-braves-president-john-hart-play-role-rules-violations

Then Hart wasn't doing his job. Either way, he should be fired and replaced by someone who will do the job. If he stays, his presence probably prevents them from getting a top GM candidate.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:19 pm

^I suspect he will be given the opportunity to resign and ride off into the sunset.

I don't completely agree that the President should/would be micromanaging the GM and personnel side of the business.

But I do understand the sentiment.

I'm glad his legacy will remain untarnished. Ride off into the sunset, Mr. Hart.
2+ years from now, when the team starts winning again, no one will even remember he had anything to do with this.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#36 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^I suspect he will be given the opportunity to resign and ride off into the sunset.

I don't completely agree that the President should/would be micromanaging the GM and personnel side of the business.

I'm glad his legacy will remain untarnished. Ride off into the sunset, Mr. Hart.
2+ years from now, when the team starts winning again, no one will even remember he had anything to do with this.

Agree
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^I suspect he will be given the opportunity to resign and ride off into the sunset.

Gotta disagree with those sentiments. I don't think it's micro-managing for the President to have some idea of what the GM he hired is doing. If people outside of the organization hadn't said something, I'm guessing Hart still would be either clueless or complicit - I'm not sure which is worse. Him still being here does not help the organization's reputation around the league or help find a qualified candidate willing to come here.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#38 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 1:45 pm

Well the World Series is over and we'll soon find out what MLB has in store after it's investigation.

I hope we get to keep Maitan. :pray: :pray:
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#39 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:51 pm

duplicate

Return to Atlanta Braves